New Unit: Hexakonteres

Orthanc

Shipwright
New unit! Yea!

Yep, bit of a delay again, but I've got a new machine now, everything's all set up and I'm ready to start making some crazy stuff.

Anyways, this is the Hexakonteres, basically just an oversized Trireme with 2 Catapults, and also a new sail texture than just the standard Orthanc Triple Stripe.

File:
Hexakonteres

Previews attached below, now onto something I've been wanting to make for almost 5 years:

METAL GEAR RAY

EDIT: File's up now, also attached is the proper AttackA animation, just paste it over the old one.

Attachments

• p4.JPG
    p4.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 655
  • Hexakonteres.gif
    Hexakonteres.gif
    194.9 KB · Views: 1,060
  • HexakonteresAttackA.zip
    195.9 KB · Views: 547
From what I can see without downloading the unit, it looks great. It looks like the catapults rotate before they fire, if so, I like the rotating catapults! :) Nice job.

edit: It looks like your preview might have the animations out of order: default, fidget, fortify (capaults rotate), run, arrow attack, catapult attack, death.

You're right that they're out of the order that would make most sense for this unit, since it has a fortify, my standard order is Default-Fidget-Fortify-Run-Attack-Death, guess I should just switch the run and fortify in the future.

One thing I feel I should mention, not related to this but unit making in general. If Civ 4 ever allows us to add new units, I've got 3D Studio Max now (though I'm sticking with POV-Ray for Civ 3 :thumbsup:) so if that scene ever opens up, Orthanc might have to be either cloned:lol: or split in half over the two.

Very nice. I assume the catapult attack should be Attack 1 and the arrows Attack 2, rather than vice versa as the preview suggests. Did these things really exist? It seems that, judging by the various ships on offer here, ancient naval warfare was considerably more exciting than I always thought...

Looks absolutely fantastic! I definately want to use this...just one thing though - where's the download link?
EDIT: I've now read your other thread in the main C&C forum and see that the server was down when you were going to upload it. Looking forward to it being uploaded!

Thanks everyone.

Yeah you're right Plotinus, everyone just switch Attack A and Attack B, you can either rename the files themsleves, or just switch them in the ini. Whatever you do, make sure you switch the sounds accordingly.

Very much so these existed, I'm not sure how many catapults they put on them, but they even came up with catamaran (double hulled) triremes with like, ten rowers per oar. The things were more like floating forests, but they made them nonetheless.

And in case you didn't notice, the file is now uploaded :D

I'm thinking that this could become a UU in Anno Imperii. The question is, which civ to give it to?
The candidates are Athens, Macedonia, Mycenae, Sparta and Troy. Alternatively, should it be a flavour ship that belongs to all these civs?

WOW - this unit simply begs to get into my mod ... but where/for who :undecided:

Yeah, you know what, I think I'll fix that, it will look a little to weird in-game if I just leave it that way.

Fixed, the new animation is attached to the first post.

R8XFT said:
I'm thinking that this could become a UU in Anno Imperii. The question is, which civ to give it to?
The candidates are Athens, Macedonia, Mycenae, Sparta and Troy. Alternatively, should it be a flavour ship that belongs to all these civs?

Hmmmmm....

heres alittle history I pulled from Wiki:

The early 5th century BC saw a conflict between the cities of Greece and the expansionist Persian Empire under Darius and Xerxes, who hired ships from their Phoenician cities.

The Greeks defeated the first invasion force at the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC, but realised that pursuing land battles against the more numerous Persians could not hope to win in the long term. When news came that Xerxes was amassing an enormous invasion force in Asia Minor, the Greek cities expanded their navies: in 482 BC the Athenian ruler Themistocles started a programme for the construction of 200 triremes. The project must have been very successful, as 150 Athenian triremes were reported to have seen action in the Battle of Salamis in 480 BC at which Xerxes' second invasion fleet was defeated.

Top Bottom