1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit: Hexakonteres

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by Orthanc, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

New unit! Yea!

Yep, bit of a delay again, but I've got a new machine now, everything's all set up and I'm ready to start making some crazy stuff.

Anyways, this is the Hexakonteres, basically just an oversized Trireme with 2 Catapults, and also a new sail texture than just the standard Orthanc Triple Stripe.

File:
    Hexakonteres

Previews attached below, now onto something I've been wanting to make for almost 5 years:

METAL GEAR RAY

EDIT: File's up now, also attached is the proper AttackA animation, just paste it over the old one.

Attached Files:

2. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Deity

From what I can see without downloading the unit, it looks great. It looks like the catapults rotate before they fire, if so, I like the rotating catapults! :) Nice job.

edit: It looks like your preview might have the animations out of order: default, fidget, fortify (capaults rotate), run, arrow attack, catapult attack, death.

3. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

You're right that they're out of the order that would make most sense for this unit, since it has a fortify, my standard order is Default-Fidget-Fortify-Run-Attack-Death, guess I should just switch the run and fortify in the future.

One thing I feel I should mention, not related to this but unit making in general. If Civ 4 ever allows us to add new units, I've got 3D Studio Max now (though I'm sticking with POV-Ray for Civ 3 :thumbsup:) so if that scene ever opens up, Orthanc might have to be either cloned:lol: or split in half over the two.

4. AncientOne

AncientOne Johnny Juwarra

wow.. this is great

5. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Very nice. I assume the catapult attack should be Attack 1 and the arrows Attack 2, rather than vice versa as the preview suggests. Did these things really exist? It seems that, judging by the various ships on offer here, ancient naval warfare was considerably more exciting than I always thought...

6. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

Sweet! Another nice warship. :)

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Wow you did a great job with this unit Orthanc!

PS: Finish everything on your to-do list before allowing requests again.

8. Zion_Withrow

Zion_Withrow Standing Before a Giant

WOW!! Another beautiful unit

9. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

Looks absolutely fantastic! I definately want to use this...just one thing though - where's the download link?
    EDIT: I've now read your other thread in the main C&C forum and see that the server was down when you were going to upload it. Looking forward to it being uploaded!

10. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Thanks everyone.

Yeah you're right Plotinus, everyone just switch Attack A and Attack B, you can either rename the files themsleves, or just switch them in the ini. Whatever you do, make sure you switch the sounds accordingly.

Very much so these existed, I'm not sure how many catapults they put on them, but they even came up with catamaran (double hulled) triremes with like, ten rowers per oar. The things were more like floating forests, but they made them nonetheless.

And in case you didn't notice, the file is now uploaded :D

11. Rob (R8XFT)

I'm thinking that this could become a UU in Anno Imperii. The question is, which civ to give it to?
    The candidates are Athens, Macedonia, Mycenae, Sparta and Troy. Alternatively, should it be a flavour ship that belongs to all these civs?

12. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

WOW - this unit simply begs to get into my mod ... but where/for who :undecided:

13. Afr!Ca

Afr!Ca Chieftain

:( no file... its says - page not found ..
    I need that ship :D:D

14. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

In that preview, the catapults rotate (I assume that's the fortify), but in the arrow attack animation, the catapults are not "rotated"?

15. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Yeah, you know what, I think I'll fix that, it will look a little to weird in-game if I just leave it that way.

16. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

Fixed, the new animation is attached to the first post.

17. NavyDawg

NavyDawg Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

This is probably the biggest & baddest ancient ship I'v seen. Really nice.

18. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Hmmmmm....

heres alittle history I pulled from Wiki:

The early 5th century BC saw a conflict between the cities of Greece and the expansionist Persian Empire under Darius and Xerxes, who hired ships from their Phoenician cities.

The Greeks defeated the first invasion force at the Battle of Marathon in 490 BC, but realised that pursuing land battles against the more numerous Persians could not hope to win in the long term. When news came that Xerxes was amassing an enormous invasion force in Asia Minor, the Greek cities expanded their navies: in 482 BC the Athenian ruler Themistocles started a programme for the construction of 200 triremes. The project must have been very successful, as 150 Athenian triremes were reported to have seen action in the Battle of Salamis in 480 BC at which Xerxes' second invasion fleet was defeated.

19. Rob (R8XFT)

Interesting bit of info there. Cheers :) !! I am veering towards this being a flavour ship for Greek civs - it's too good to confine it to one civ!

20. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Woooo! I love it, and I love R8XFT`s new avatar! Some neat Speedos there! :)