New Unit: Longbowman (March 11, 2005)

utahjazz7

Deity
Here's a model that I put together a couple of weeks ago. I never got around to animating it though. I think this is a unit that has been needed for quite some time--it's certainly been requested often enough. I personally like the Firaxis Longbowman, but it doesn't necessarily look like a traditional longbowman either, so I can see why people would want a unit that looks a little more English/European. LouLong had requested that I put a cross on the front and back of the unit. I tried this, but it did not look good. So, the unit is as it is. Enjoy. :)

Longbowman

Very cool utahjazz7! :thumbsup:

I was planning on doing one like this eventually, but you've saved me the hassle. :) I had been using Aluminum's Longbowman conversion (which he did a great job on), but this'll match up much better with the other units since most of them use Kinboat's pdm as well. So, Thank you.

Nice job! :) Definately a good unit.

Looks really good indeed. Although, because I'm a dunce, I never did have much of a problem with the Firaxis unit...except for it being available to everybody, instead of just England. That's what I use utah's crossbowman graphic for! ;)

Mithadan said:
Looks really good indeed. Although, because I'm a dunce, I never did have much of a problem with the Firaxis unit...except for it being available to everybody, instead of just England. That's what I use utah's crossbowman graphic for! ;)

I do the same in my game. It removes the importance of Agincourt to have longbowmen running around everywhere. It's also nice to have another longbowman for another reason: I like to have mercenary units in my game and to have them represented by different figures than the "national" units. After the Hundred Years War there were English free companies serving all over, including longbowmen, and that's how I make them available to other civs.

Very nice. I like it more than the original. I'll have to use it in my personal mod.

Hrafnkell said:
It's also nice to have another longbowman for another reason: I like to have mercenary units in my game and to have them represented by different figures than the "national" units. After the Hundred Years War there were English free companies serving all over, including longbowmen, and that's how I make them available to other civs.
That's a very good idea! So long as I don't forget what it was, I'm going to steal it. :)

mrtn said:
I give the Longbowman to the Celts too, seeing as how most of the "English" longbowmen came from Wales. ;)
That is also a clever idea, but in my game I've got "Austrians" instead of Celts per se, and I've got the Welsh lumped in together with the English to make the "British" (and Gauls in with the "French"). Sort of a Steph-style regional solution to the issues of changing ethnic identities and scale in Civ, not to everybody's liking. Tell me, were there Welsh Longbow equivalents in the Celts of the west and central European Continent? That would be interesting for me, too.

Yet another fine unit! On initial inspection, I'd say I'm likely to use this for European civs and keep the old Firaxis Longbowman (which I never had any problem with) for Mediterranean civs. That is, if I ever get around to having culturally specific units in my personal mod. :p

Mithadan said:
...Tell me, were there Welsh Longbow equivalents in the Celts of the west and central European Continent? That would be interesting for me, too.
I doubt that there were any central European celts in the 13th century.

Top Bottom