1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit: Longbowman (March 11, 2005)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by utahjazz7, Mar 11, 2005.

1. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Here's a model that I put together a couple of weeks ago. I never got around to animating it though. I think this is a unit that has been needed for quite some time--it's certainly been requested often enough. I personally like the Firaxis Longbowman, but it doesn't necessarily look like a traditional longbowman either, so I can see why people would want a unit that looks a little more English/European. LouLong had requested that I put a cross on the front and back of the unit. I tried this, but it did not look good. So, the unit is as it is. Enjoy. :)

Longbowman

2. CamJH

CamJH Uncle Cam

Very cool utahjazz7! :thumbsup:

I was planning on doing one like this eventually, but you've saved me the hassle. :) I had been using Aluminum's Longbowman conversion (which he did a great job on), but this'll match up much better with the other units since most of them use Kinboat's pdm as well. So, Thank you.

3. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Hm, looking good. :)

4. Gomurr

Gomurr the Ancient

Nice job! :) Definately a good unit.

5. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

Worlds better than the Firaxis unit. Never liked it myself. This guy looks the part.

6. ShiroKobbure

ShiroKobbure Still modding Civ3

7. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

That looks great :thumbsup: (nice boots too :) )

8. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Looks really good indeed. Although, because I'm a dunce, I never did have much of a problem with the Firaxis unit...except for it being available to everybody, instead of just England. That's what I use utah's crossbowman graphic for! ;)

9. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

What a wonderful surprise! He's great - and another needed unit for Anno Domini!

10. Hrafnkell

Hrafnkell Alheithinn

I do the same in my game. It removes the importance of Agincourt to have longbowmen running around everywhere. It's also nice to have another longbowman for another reason: I like to have mercenary units in my game and to have them represented by different figures than the "national" units. After the Hundred Years War there were English free companies serving all over, including longbowmen, and that's how I make them available to other civs.

11. BAP

BAP Chieftain

Nicely done. Now, if you could do a Colonial Musketman from the early to mid 1700's..........

12. tjedge1

tjedge1 Writer of writerly things

Very nice. I like it more than the original. I'll have to use it in my personal mod.

13. Mithadan

That's a very good idea! So long as I don't forget what it was, I'm going to steal it. :)

14. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

I give the Longbowman to the Celts too, seeing as how most of the "English" longbowmen came from Wales. ;)

15. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Chieftain

Cool unit, I'm glad there's another longbowman now!

16. Mithadan

That is also a clever idea, but in my game I've got "Austrians" instead of Celts per se, and I've got the Welsh lumped in together with the English to make the "British" (and Gauls in with the "French"). Sort of a Steph-style regional solution to the issues of changing ethnic identities and scale in Civ, not to everybody's liking. Tell me, were there Welsh Longbow equivalents in the Celts of the west and central European Continent? That would be interesting for me, too.

17. Snorken

Snorken Chieftain

Very nice unit! :)

18. Master Kodama

Master Kodama Nitpicker

Yet another fine unit! On initial inspection, I'd say I'm likely to use this for European civs and keep the old Firaxis Longbowman (which I never had any problem with) for Mediterranean civs. That is, if I ever get around to having culturally specific units in my personal mod. :p

19. Aluminium

Aluminium ...

20. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

I doubt that there were any central European celts in the 13th century.