Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, he used a map that doesn't support VP. Several base game maps have already been modded to be VP compatible, but some aren't yet.
Starting a game and then have only clouds and a defeat screen is a map generation problem.
makes sense, it happened all the time I tried to open a big continent map, on a standard continent map it worked suddenly.
Still there is the problem with the tooltips on buildings.

Edit: I solved it by installing another version of the game (still it is weird in my view).
Btw. the mod is great

Last edited:
While you have low population and low happiness in the early game, even 1 Unhappiness can be felt as a huge change. Try to watch your cities before they grow, prioritize happiness / unhappiness reducing buildings if need be, improve tiles as fast as you can, and import as many luxuries as you can.

Oh okay thanks, I didn't know that reducing buildings helped. Interesting! You are right about improving tiles though, I tend to neglect that early on to get as many settlers out as possible. Just in this game I was hyperfocusing on wonders instead.

Curious about another thing, what happened to the Avoid growth mechanism? It's not in the city interface any longer. Was this intentional or do I have a bug?

Oh okay thanks, I didn't know that reducing buildings helped. Interesting! You are right about improving tiles though, I tend to neglect that early on to get as many settlers out as possible. Just in this game I was hyperfocusing on wonders instead.

Curious about another thing, what happened to the Avoid growth mechanism? It's not in the city interface any longer. Was this intentional or do I have a bug?
Yes be careful, as you can find yourself quickly in serious unhappiness if you expand too quickly and don't improve your infrastructure (tiles, buildings).

The tickbox should be still there, just under Citizen count. If not then 1) you're using a mod that alters city view 2) mod conflict

Yes, thats intented, so you are not punished for having a wide variety of luxuries.
IMHO - I think this should be looked at - it defeats any benefit of having WLTKD as a reward or benefit. Yes I did not like the old system when it would show luxuries that were not available in the game- that was bad- but that did not happen frequently or at least not until late game-- or when the resource was on the other side of world with a CS-that was also challenging - but I would look for ways to get the WLTKD to initiate- like through buildings, GM , allying a CS., or events so it would reset and find another luxury I could obtain- the way it has been now we might as well give 25% perpetual growth to all cities- I do have some cities that have a hard to get resource but it just doesn't matter as all my other cities are continually in WLTKD. I know this has probably already been vetted and voted on and I realize it is minor but in my mind it takes some of strategy or tactics away and makes another already limited reward irrelevant.

it takes some of strategy or tactics away and makes another already limited reward irrelevant.
There was a big problem before : the arguably best strategy was to get as few luxury as necessary, to ensure you get WLTKD quest that were overall easier to obtain. You would then buy a luxury you previously refused because it proc now the bonus. This was considered a gamey strategy ; getting as much luxury as possible was actually detrimental ; it was thus changed is a way that reward someone who get a lot of luxuries.

WLTKD is currently unobtainable only in limited cases:
-- a state of war and the impossibility of buying a resource, or the city-state is an ally of the enemy.
-- the decision 'open borders .... city-states' passed through Congress and now it is impossible to become an ally
-- the 'sphere of influence' decision passed through Congress and now someone else is an ally of the city-state.
-- perhaps another dynastic marriage of Austria.

At any other time the cities is in constant celebration. Something must be done about this. Or reduce bonuses from WLTKD for cities, buildings and policies if the holiday is almost every day.

-- a state of war and the impossibility of buying a resource, or the city-state is an ally of the enemy.
-- the decision 'open borders .... city-states' passed through Congress and now it is impossible to become an ally
-- the 'sphere of influence' decision passed through Congress and now someone else is an ally of the city-state.

At any other time the cities is in constant celebration. Something must be done about this. Or reduce bonuses from WLTKD for cities, buildings and policies if the holiday is almost every day.
Small correction : "WLTKD is currently unobtainable by other mean than conquest".

There was a big problem before : the arguably best strategy was to get as few luxury as necessary, to ensure you get WLTKD quest that were overall easier to obtain. You would then buy a luxury you previously refused because it proc now the bonus. This was considered a gamey strategy ; getting as much luxury as possible was actually detrimental ; it was thus changed is a way that reward someone who get a lot of luxuries.
Ok - I agree that is gamey and I'm no fan of that- but at least there was a bit of a sacrifice or price to be paid albeit small - as you did not get the happiness from the luxury right away, so no GAP or additional % happiness growth modifier and depending on overall happiness, it might hurt you there as well-- and what if it didn't proc for a while. The flip side is you make WLTKD irrelevant because your constantly getting them and there is no price to pay as you just get as many luxuries as you can, as soon as you can as you typically would anyways.

Anybody seeing this glitch on load screens when starting a new game after installing 3.1.1?
You installed the EUI in the wrong folder. Check your Civ V installation.

Both Circus and great merchant gets around rare WLKDs.

The flip side is you make WLTKD irrelevant because your constantly getting them
This is true if you have all the luxury resources. Then constant WLTKD is a reward for that. In general, the more luxury resources you have, the higher there is a chance that you would get WLTDK.
there is no price to pay
There is, you have to aquire them in the first place. Either by trade, settling, conquest or by allying with a CS. If you think that some ways are too easy to get a luxury then we can talk about it and maybe tweak it.

I think once you hit Medieval era it should have a slightly higher bias towards luxuries you do not possess to make it more difficult to trigger a WLKD event, with subseqount eras that bias increasing a slight amount.

Or perhaps a requirement to have two sources of the luxury at later eras?

If you are talking about continuing to get xp from barbs, I've always modified the "coredefines.sql" file in the ...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\(2) Vox Populi\Balance Changes folder. Under "unit stuff", change the value in this line to this:

UPDATE Defines SET Value = '1000' WHERE Name = 'BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE';

There is a setting under advanced that let's you get GG progress, as well.

I also set the max plots per explorer to the same value so they keep getting xp for revealing territory. I love having these super mobile and hard to kill units later in the game to terrorize the enemies rear area and draw off troops from the front.

For overall tweaking, this file, the other coredefines file, and diploaioptions - both found in (1) community patch directory - are worth looking at w something like notepad++.

If these have changed in this version (or I have been doing it wrong myself), let me know. It's your game, so have fun!

This is true if you have all the luxury resources. Then constant WLTKD is a reward for that. In general, the more luxury resources you have, the higher there is a chance that you would get WLTDK.

There is, you have to aquire them in the first place. Either by trade, settling, conquest or by allying with a CS. If you think that some ways are too easy to get a luxury then we can talk about it and maybe tweak it.
Ok- I might have been a little premature with my judgement of the new process (sorry). As I ran into a situation that multiple cites started requesting coral- and only two CS had it and there was not way to really get to them so I realized the frustration I had with original system -- plus I still had some of the tactics that I liked as I had to get a GM to pop. So maybe this new way is better it just took me a bit to get use to constantly spamming WLKD notices- and maybe there is still some utility for the GM or other WLKD proc. -You are right as well as there is a price as you still have to acquire the luxury (although you typically would do that any way- but maybe not)

The farm bonus resources are being weird for me. Farms on Wheat just have +1:c5food:, Maize and Rice farms have -1:c5food:, actually reducing food output, and +1:c5gold:/:c5production: respectively. They must be pretty bad farmers.
Is this a change I missed at some point or is something going wrong?

You're reading too much into the farm bonuses.

They all give food as a base, but farm improvements give food by default too. We had to se the improvement to -1 food and then replace it with another yield so that the 3 resources are different.
The -1 food is just the UI being giving you TMI.

Oh no, I don't mean that it doesn't make sense, just that the yields are being weird. I'm positive that they're different from what they were earlier in 3.0.
Wait a second, is it just that they got shuffled around? Earlier Wheat was production, Maize was food, and Rice was gold. Now it's as I just listed.

Last edited:
Heretic here! I play BNW with just the Community Patch and not the rest of VP (I know, I know! ;) ). Given that, how much of the AI improvements/changes are actually relevant to the non-VP patch-side? Is it still worth keeping up with all of the latest updates if I'm going to continue in my heresy of just using the patch without the rest of VP?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom