New Version - December 5th (12/5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope almost everything follows civ4...

Not only your neighbor's contested tiles, but your own shared tiles. I hope this change doesn't aggravate the annoying situation where you wanted a resource tile to go to your newer city but, when you weren't paying attention, your old city grabs it before you can bust out a settler. (And so the new city gets denied a stable/circus/forge/stoneworks or that trade route boost.)

You can change it, you know? Just go to the second city, City Management, and manually order a citizen to work on your desired tile.

Um... I thought expansion was supposed to favor higher yields. Why doesn't it go to the lakes? Screenshot (5).png

I very often find Lakes and Oasis being low priority, when early game they are just awesome. Later on they aren't so important, but at that point you are much more able to buy tiles, so I think having them as a top choice for the selector would make sense.

I guess I was unlucky with tile selection, as am still missing bananas from 2nd ring, while I have whole 3rd ring complete :S

Last edited:
@bnb1028: never said that yields are the only thing that counts. in your case, the resources are prioritized.

you can customize the behavior (to a certain extent) in Community Balance Patch\Balance Changes\CoreDefines.sql

UPDATE Defines SET Value = '-10' WHERE Name = 'PLOT_INFLUENCE_YIELD_POINT_COST';
UPDATE Defines SET Value = '-150' WHERE Name = 'PLOT_INFLUENCE_RESOURCE_COST';

(the values are negative because the lowest cost wins)

@infidel88: that shouldn't be happening, especially considering the "bad" tiles to the west. i knew i shouldn't have touched the thing, now all the quirks are my problems :)
what did it look like initially when the city only had ring 1 under control? did the bananas yet a purple halo when mousing over the city? (possibly an EUI only effect though)

@bnb1028: never said that yields are the only thing that counts. in your case, the resources are prioritized.

you can customize the behavior (to a certain extent) in Community Balance Patch\Balance Changes\CoreDefines.sql

UPDATE Defines SET Value = '-10' WHERE Name = 'PLOT_INFLUENCE_YIELD_POINT_COST';
UPDATE Defines SET Value = '-150' WHERE Name = 'PLOT_INFLUENCE_RESOURCE_COST';

(the values are negative because the lowest cost wins)

@infidel88: that shouldn't be happening, especially considering the "bad" tiles to the west. i knew i shouldn't have touched the thing, now all the quirks are my problems :)
what did it look like initially when the city only had ring 1 under control? did the bananas yet a purple halo when mousing over the city? (possibly an EUI only effect though)
Also had auto-expansion completely ignoring resource-tiles and lakes in favor of flat desert tiles. Looks like something went wrong.

In fact just in my last game I had multiple ciites failing to grab luxuries within the second ring for 5 expansions until I finally manually bought the tile.

Now I see one tile was actually in 4th ring... Anyway - when I checked, yes that tile was in purple, but it was last tile left in the city. Didn't check earlier, as I rarely check things which I have no influence on anwyay.
For me scheme should be:
1. strategy resources
2. luxury resources
3. bonus resources
4. total tile yield (including our current pantheon and civ special abilities)

I doubt 4th is doable though :(

I liked the pitch for the release of civ 5: Border expands following the naturals borders (mountains, rivers, hills) and not yield. Having to fight against this to acquire a lone distant resource is a good thing (imo), as it's something to think about when we settle.

Last edited:
Does this fix the bug with the Grocer/Coffee House disappearing?

Apparently I did something weird.

Besides the tile expansion issue already mentioned, I'm enjoying playing this version! Great work, thanks to all of the team!

@ilteroi - do you still need examples of silly expansion logic? I think they are self-explanatory.

Picture 1 - next two expansions were desert tiles to the west :( In picture two I have herbalist, so tiles have even better yields. Pic 4 - why crabs weren't taken as first tile being the only luxury, only special and the best tile in 2nd ring is :| And city actually took worst tile.

Note - I appreciate a lot that you look into this logic. I was 250% for reworking this logic and I still believe it's a step in right direction and I also understand this needs time to make it work perfectly (or, at least better), so don't take it as criticism without any point. I don't want anyone to feel like 'we wanted to improve something and now you bash us for that'.

I also have a great example but unfortunately don't have the screenshot readily available on this device. In my current game city of Venice has expanded like a behemoth to almost a 6 tile radius by turn 200+. But the coral tile only in their 2nd ring is still unclaimed, like a huge disc with a hole in it! I can post the screenshot in 12 hours.

@ilteroi - do you still need examples of silly expansion logic? I think they are self-explanatory.

Picture 1 - next two expansions were desert tiles to the west :( In picture two I have herbalist, so tiles have even better yields. Pic 4 - why crabs weren't taken as first tile being the only luxury, only special and the best tile in 2nd ring is :| And city actually took worst tile.

Note - I appreciate a lot that you look into this logic. I was 250% for reworking this logic and I still believe it's a step in right direction and I also understand this needs time to make it work perfectly (or, at least better), so don't take it as criticism without any point. I don't want anyone to feel like 'we wanted to improve something and now you bash us for that'.

What are those 2 symbols by the cities in the 4th picture? (west of coventy and south of london)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom