1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next patch anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Piruparka, Jan 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 Prince

At the end of the day the best thing is for Firaxis to end ties with 2K. They are getting worse then EA.

I hope they don't end up like Maxis

Falk, God of Kings, Cerilis and 2 others like this.
  2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

That's a hefty charge: we are talking about the company that has succeeded at ruining BioWare, one of the most solid studios in the industry. But I do agree that 2k is probably not a positive influence on Firaxis. Price of success, I suppose: big companies notice you.

3. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

How you measure sesaons depends on wheter you use the metereological (first of the month) or the astrological (21st of the month) way.

Anyways, sorry for the slight derail. I have to say I really hope for a patch (no matter the season), even if only because every day earlier means a day more to play it (during holiday, that is).

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It's kind of amusing in that sense. If it does come out this week, on the heels on a holiday weekend (for some civil servants, bank employees, and students in the US), it's like "Gee, thanks Firaxis. You could've done this last week so I could use my extra free time to play it."

5. AvianBritish

AvianBritish King

But "Half Term" in the UK has just ended (The UK's week of school/college/ect) meaning we miss out on the opportunity to play it all week long, heh. But I do suppose they would cater more to the States seeing as you are the larger and home audience.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Also, I'm ignorant of non-American minor holidays.

7. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

upload_2017-2-20_20-7-59.png

Are they through a full cycle again?

8. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Working overtime for game patch? Highly unlikely.

If it was for release date on the other hand...

tekjunkie28 likes this.
  9. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 Prince

The more I think about this the less likely I think a patch is coming this week. I have a feeling that we're still looking at another week of testing. Idk what they keep testing but is seems rediculous to be posting a new QA every day unless they are just testing balance issues and running numbers.

10. Eagle Pursuit

They did this for 2 weeks in December too.

11. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 Prince

When did they start? Last Monday?

12. Eagle Pursuit

The daily updates began on the 6th for the 2K qa builds and sometime last week for Mac/Linux.

13. BTSeven7

BTSeven7 Chieftain

Am I interpreting this correctly:

The DLC content looks like it was ready to go about 12 days ago. I gather this by clicking through some of the ID numbers and the CD_Key stuff was set 12 days ago? Does that likely mean the DLC content was set up already?

Additionally, the 2kqa builds are what they are testing at the current time? Do they call them 2kqa builds because they upload them for the 2k team to test and it's different than the Firaxis QA team? I know no one probably knows for sure but curious if that's good logic.

14. Eagle Pursuit

The DLC stuff was definitely up for testing on the Jan 23rd for PC and Feb 8th for Mac/Linux. The CD key stuff was probably just getting things ready for Steam to accept it as a product, but I don't know for sure.

I know Firaxians in Baltimore play test the 2K qa builds based on a Tweet from Pete Murray back in December. I assume 2K has QA testers working on it as well. Aspyr is in Texas and presumably submits the Mac and Linux versions for 2K testers as well.

drmuser likes this.
  15. bbbt

bbbt Deity

The DLC content is probably also getting tested in conjunction with the patch.

A high-level guess at the process (just based on generic agile sprint process that's the standar software dev workflow) would be:
    1) Firaxis has a list of bugs/features ranked by priority and ease of implementation.
    2) A subset of these is selected and worked on in 2-4 week cycles. As a specific item is finished, it is QA-ed in-house in Firaxis, and then moved to the main dev branch.
    3) After a certain number of these cycles, 'new' development essentially stops and all the qa-ed changes are put into the builds we see on steam (this is possibly the point that code gets passed to Aspyr to begin conversion to Mac).
    4) These builds than get a full regression test (essentially retesting the entire game to make sure fix a didn't accidentally break b or c) with the assistance of 2k QA. Any bugs that are found related to new development get fixed and added to a new build for testing.

So by the point that there is daily QA builds on steam, I'd guess all the features (including DLC) and bug fixes for the upcoming patch are essentially 'finished' and they are doing a lot of testing (and fixes) to make sure everything is working with the new changes.

16. Eagle Pursuit

Thank you. I could not hope to express that as concisely as you did.

bbbt likes this.
  17. timtwins

timtwins Chieftain

This all seems to point to a new patch tomorrow!

18. drmuser

drmuser Chieftain

The hype roller-coaster once again begins its ascent! :p

c4c6 and RohirrimElf like this.
  19. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

or this night. it's the 20th remember? just like december patch.

drmuser likes this.
  20. Eagle Pursuit

I can see scenarios for both tonight and tomorrow, but that doesn't make either more likely than Wednesday or Thursday at this point.

Basically:
    IF this last set of QA updates was the last one and they only do a cursory test on it AND we don't see any more changes to QA builds today AND we start seeing things like package updates and named achievements, then it could be tonight

IF this is the last set of QA updates and they want to test it more thoroughly, look for that other stuff tomorrow

IF this was NOT the last set of QA updates and they update all three again tomorrow morning, go back to the beginning

IF this was NOT the last set of QA updates and they update them separately tomorrow like they normally do, nothing to get excited about yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.