• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Nick's Civic Changes/Anarchy Discussion

I genuinely never play marathon. What's the angle behind it? It feels like it just makes the game a lot longer; maybe it's just better for war in general?
I just started playing on marathon because I wanted the game to last longer and to use each unit type for a longer period of time. I had no idea that not everything scaled the same or that it was geared towards war. I'm more of a worthless builder - Great Lighthouse in my only coastal city? - Yes, please! (No, not quite that bad :)) At least the golden ages are also only x2 (standard 16 turns, with MoM 24 - but sometimes longer!).

I just started playing on marathon because I wanted the game to last longer and to use each unit type for a longer period of time. I had no idea that not everything scaled the same or that it was geared towards war. I'm more of a worthless builder - Great Lighthouse in my only coastal city? - Yes, please! (No, not quite that bad :)) At least the golden ages are also only x2 (standard 16 turns, with MoM 24 - but sometimes longer!).
I'm much more of a warmonger with my wins. If I don't war-it-out, I like to culturetroll and flip cities all the way to a Cultural Victory!

Can you elaborate how it allows you to experience each era more?
Spending more time in each era by definition means you experience each era more. But I imagine that is not the answer you were looking for.

Basically in CIV at normal speeds eras just flip by very quickly. You often end up in situations where you say had a war in classical and therefore won't be ready for the next one until after medieval or something. Entire unit types, buildings or ages might go by quickly as you don't really immerse your self into them. Play slow however and this changes. On my preferred map settings I typically have one or more wars per era.

Also, how does the AI respond to disabling victory conditions?
It just does. I mean, I've not detected it going insane or becoming ultra hard or easy or anything of the sort. And I've been exclusively playing huge maps, very slow speeds conquest + space only games for probably a decade.

Top Bottom