Nicolas Maduro Wins Venezuelan Presidency in Close Race

Time for a little Truth Squad action for all of you still thinking the Opposition has any credibility left.

from Venezuelanalysis.com May 1, 2013Private media portrayed the event as an attack on opposition lawmakers who were simply trying to exercise their right to intervene on the floor of the assembly.
However, Chavista lawmakers and state media showed a different side to the story, publishing photos and videos of the actions of opposition representatives in the lead up to the violence.
“They came to the assembly with every intention to create chaos,” said Cabello on Wednesday evening.
Videos shown by the state channel on Wednesday evening showed that opposition legislators had gathered at the front of the assembly chamber, demanding that Assembly President Diosdado Cabello allow them to speak
When Chavista lawmakers tried to intervene they were shoved away by opposition lawmakers, pushing one female representative to the floor.
Shortly after, Julio Borges handed out air horns and whistles while one opposition representative from the eastern state of Anzoategui began throwing assembly chairs at the Chavista officials that had gathered in front of them.
In the violence that ensued various legislators traded blows resulting in injuries from both sides though perhaps none as visible as the bruised face of Borges.
Chavista representatives assured that the whole situation had been pre-planned by the opposition with the help of private media.
“It seemed inevitable that there would be violence because from the early morning hours opposition legislators were saying that if we didn’t let them speak then they would not let us speak either,” said Cabello.
Opposition media mogul Alberto Federico Ravell indicated via Twitter hours before the violence occurred that something was going to happen.
“I hope they don’t censor what is going to happen in the National Assembly this afternoon,” wrote Ravell via Twitter.
Opposition lawmaker Alfonso Marquina showed up to the session wearing a motorcycle helmet, presumably to protect himself from the violence that he knew would occur.
“Who shows up to an assembly session with a helmet? Did he know something? They were all following a script and now they want to say the violence was all our fault,” said Cabello.

So, thoughts about this? Seems to me the Opposition is going the coup route, buy, hey, I think yhe BRV can handle it.

Do you have a link to the version shown on Venezuela tv? The opposition had their chance with edited video, we should make sure maduro isn't doing the same tricks.

I've seen a few versions of the brawl, but none ive seen clearly show how it starts ( who shoves first, who throws the first punch, etc.). The still pictures aren't convincing as they could have been from almost any point in the fight. I thought the guy wearing the flag colors was a maduro supporter, but I see there was at least two guys wearing the flag colors, so I'll accept that the other flag wearing one was from the opposition (and threw the chair). The chair throwing is seen on the version released by the opposition if you know where to look, and it was during/after the time the other flag wearing guy (a chavista) is wailing on the opposition.

the helmet I am not believing moduros version. I see on video that after the fight starts he goes to get the helmet and then puts it on. Perhaps he rode a motorcycle to the assembly, and that is just his helmet for that? Its hard to see what kind of helmet it is,just that its black. To say he wore it during the assembly is misleading if he didn't put it on until after the fight starts (and it wasn't right next to him either, he had to walk several feet to go get it).

They 'planned it', I'm not convinced either. No doubt something was planned (the banner and noisemakers), I'm just not seeing proof the fight was planned.

I haven't bothered replying to anything in this thread because my grandmother's dieing and the only thing my mother ever talks about now is either how bad my grandmom is, how she is hungry because there is no food in the country, and how bad the country currently is. I am sick of it, it's not healthy to be obsessed to all news coming from a country. (Which in Venezuela's case, currently is a lot. Every day from what I gather is another major scandal, ranging from corruption, idiotic comments made by Maduro and his party, protesters and politicians being beaten or thrown into jail, Cuban army doing drills on Venezuelan soil, and severe government regulation of remaining private corporations. (The current one being the country's by far largest and main food distributor, Empresas Polar, which is currently working at only 5% production capacity inside Venezuela and is now being forced to completely leave its native Venezuela.))

The current situation in Venezuela is dire. People don't have food, toilet paper, or other essentials. Shelves are empty and devoid of items, and due to the crazy inflation rate, Venezuelans couldn't afford the food anyway.

When prompted about the current situation in the country, Maduro has told Venezuelans that they 'eat' too much. :|

Considering food prices caused major political upheaval in another part of the globe very recently and that Venezuelans are probably the most 'proactive' group of protesters and rioters on this hemisphere, I don't look forward to what will happen in Venezuela over the next few months.

In somewhat related news it seems that Pres. Maduro's reign hasn't started to well...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/16/venezuela-toilet-paper-shortage-50m
According to the article:

Economists say Venezuela's shortages stem from price controls meant to make basic goods available to the poorest parts of society and the government's controls on foreign currency.
So these price controls suddenly sprang up the moment Maduro took office? Weren't they in place for years? Then why is there suddenly a run on toilet paper and a few other commodities?

[YOUTUBE-OLD]o-jAFOwMzOE[/YOUTUBE-OLD]

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

Maduro's regime has been much more aggressive in regulation, and due to the inflation rate and Maduro's aggressiveness, there is both very little production going on in Venezuela, and very little foreign trade. Having lived in Venezuela during Chavez tenure, selection was crappy and there were shortages of one thing or another every other week but at least some food was there. Now it is reminiscent of stories my father told me of communist Poland in the 80's.

Also those price controls don't help the poor. I'd imagine they'd be severely affected by this just like the middle class. What little food and supplies in Venezuela at the moment is being redirected to the capital Caracas at the expense of the rest of the country, rich or poor.

He only just won the election, but it is so "much more aggressive in regulation" that it caused a shortage of an item that literally takes months to produce and distribute?

What utter nonsense.

Can I believe Chavez has been a net gain and still despise the bombastic conspiracy peddling? I can do that right?

It sure would make my life easier if they'd stop though.

So what is causing the shortages, a 'western conspiracy'?
I suspect someone did a "Carson" and started a run on certain items.

And someone did a Carson to cause the shortage of coffee, and then bread, and then several other items?

Or maybe, just maybe, some policies have other unintended consequences.

What coffee? Venezuela's previous coffee industry that out-produced Colombia's is now currently non-existent. :p When I was there, there was only one brand of coffee imported from Brazil.

@Forma, Maduro has been in power longer than just the last election.

Towards the end of the Chavez era, Venezuela was importing a lot if not most of it's food and products. Now nobody wants to do trade with Venezuela. That is the recent post-Maduro change. Monetary policies don't take long to feel the affect off.

Towards the end of the Chavez era, Venezuela was importing a lot if not most of it's food and products. Now nobody wants to do trade with Venezuela. That is the recent post-Maduro change. Monetary policies don't take long to feel the affect off.

Nobody eants to do trade with Venezuela? You really aren't paying attention are you?

From The Washington Post

CARACAS, Venezuela — Venezuela’s embattled new president, Nicolás Maduro,worked hard this week
to strengthen diplomatic ties with neighbors, winning much-needed support from some of the continent’s biggest democracies as he faced accusations at home that his government stole April’s presidential election.
Visiting regional heavyweight Brazil on Thursday, Maduro won a seal of approval from President Dilma Rousseff, whopledged to expand trade
with Venezuela. A day earlier, Argentine President Cristina Fernández de Kirchner had mobilized pro-Venezuela activists to fill a Buenos Aires soccer stadium and signed a range of bilateral cooperation accords with Maduro.

Well indeed he does trade with Argentina, Cuba, Iran, Syria. What great markets.

It was a hyperbole on my part.

And someone did a Carson to cause the shortage of coffee, and then bread, and then several other items?

Or maybe, just maybe, some policies have other unintended consequences.
It doesn't take much at all for people to start hording items which cause such shortages.

And those "unintended consequences" would have occurred long ago given that Maduro hasn't had near enough time to be in office for any possible repercussions to already be felt.

It was a hyperbole on my part.
Those who are still fighting the Cold War can't seem to help themselves.

It doesn't take much at all for people to start hording items which cause such shortages.

And those "unintended consequences" would have occurred long ago given that Maduro hasn't had near enough time to be in office for any possible repercussions to already be felt.

There has been shortages for years. Not always the same product, and sometimes there is a shortage for a certain product and then it gets solved (when more shipments to come in) only to have the shortage happen again weeks or months later.

If you force manufacturers to sell toilet paper for less than what it costs to make it, what do you think will happen?

I would "think" that toilet paper would have become non-existent long before now if that was actually the case. Are you claiming up until now that toilet paper vendors in Venezuela were terminally stupid?

Top Bottom