Notre-Dame is burning!

That can't be correct at all. For starters even the Eiffel tower is probably visited more. Then there are other stuff like the Acropolis.
I have once modelled the Notre Dame. It has historic value, yet the actual spire is less than impressive. It isn't on a monumental scale either - you can fit the entire thing inside the Hagia Sophia, using mostly the space below the central dome.

They said it was on the BBC, and I googled it and found that the Grand Bazaar tops it. I'm sure there are multiple ways of calculating this or deciding who is a tourist. BUT ND is a church and is free (except for certain areas), whereas I think Eiffel Tower is ticketed and expensive. I've been to ND and not ET, so maybe I'm a case in point.

They said it was on the BBC, and I googled it and found that the Grand Bazaar tops it. I'm sure there are multiple ways of calculating this or deciding who is a tourist. BUT ND is a church and is free (except for certain areas), whereas I think Eiffel Tower is ticketed.

Ok, fair enough. Though it is likely the bbc went with a sentimental line, imo. And obviously its reporters/talking heads don't do the research so rely on god knows what.
Good point about the tickets, though.

France 24 just reported, through a church official, that all the artwork has been saved! :love:

One would think that during a renovation most of the artwork would have been removed to storage. Even without a fire, a building under renovation is no place for something irreplaceable.

France 24 just reported, through a church official, that all the artwork has been saved! :love:
That sounds incredible, but amazing work if correct.

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing they will use a different company for the reconstruction.

One would think that during a renovation most of the artwork would have been removed to storage. Even without a fire, a building under renovation is no place for something irreplaceable.
The restoration was for the roof and supposed to go on for multiple years. The church room was still open and being used during this.

Only some of the outside art had been removed for the restoration work.

:cry:

Well crap, this thread was literal. That's really unfortunate :(. Hope everyone is safe at least, including people trying to put out the fires.

Old cathedrals have more wood than one would think. They burn pretty well.
I visited it by motorcycle over thirty years ago.

Nobody considering terrorist job yet?
It is possible.

They are doing some heavy works at the nave roof and it seems the fire started just there. Maybe some negligent worker left a cigarette next to a thinner can?
Maybe some negligent management allowed the workers to leave a thinner can there at the end of the working day.

As at Windsor Castle a few years back.

Some of the artwork was removed for restoration a couple weeks ago, and most if not all of the rest has been put to safety. What worries me is that the structure might be damaged, which would mean no possible restoration of the building. The fire is now approaching the towers, with its centuries-old bells.

Ah, the poor Hunchback. What will he do?

I'm not Catholic, and I'm not big into conspiracy theories, but Notre Dame burning down just before Easter is too coincidence'y for my tastes.

Sad to see hundreds of year old architecture go up in flames. Sure, it can be rebuilt, but it just won't be the same. I'm actually madder at that than I am the idea of any artwork being lost.

Hope they can contain the fire from the two towers, but it sounds very bad, and may be impossible to contain. Quite possible it will just have to burn until there isn't more to fuel the fire, as awful as that sounds.

A spokesman said the entire wooden frame of the cathedral would likely come down, and that the vault of the edifice could be threatened too.

“Everything is burning, nothing will remain from the frame,” Notre Dame spokesman Andre Finot told French media. The 12th-century cathedral is home to incalculable works of art and is one of the world’s most famous tourist attractions.

This building stood for a millennium. How many restorations and repairs in that time? Why is this only happening now?

Those towers are massive, other similar have survived fires. It'll be rebuilt. The one thing I hope they take extra care to save is the facade!

Might even come out better, some of those gargoyles were either 19th century additions or very bad restorations already!

It's happening now because restorations re dangerous and require specialized care. Paris seems to be more concerned about "terrorism" than accidents....

Paris was already overrated as a tourist destination. The still have the Saint-chapelle and all the loot stashed in the Louvre, otherwise there is little point in visiting it.

Last edited:
Apparently the firefighters have stopped the fire from getting into the towers, which is huge.

Edit : They think the structure is safe now, but remain cautious

Last edited:
If the structure stands, and most of the art got saved, then there's still some hope. The firefighters have done a great job. :)

the typical far-right fake news sources are already blaming muslims as if a fire has never happened before. theyre already putting it out as a "holy week disaster" so lets not forget that the real victims of this event are sadly muslims living in france and throughout the west.

its sad sure, but it is only an old church and unfortunately this accident is being used by the typical suspects to further antagonize muslims everywhere.

hh

Last edited:
Top Bottom