1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Notre-Dame is burning!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

They said it was on the BBC, and I googled it and found that the Grand Bazaar tops it. I'm sure there are multiple ways of calculating this or deciding who is a tourist. BUT ND is a church and is free (except for certain areas), whereas I think Eiffel Tower is ticketed and expensive. I've been to ND and not ET, so maybe I'm a case in point.

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Ok, fair enough. Though it is likely the bbc went with a sentimental line, imo. And obviously its reporters/talking heads don't do the research so rely on god knows what.
    Good point about the tickets, though.

Pangur Bán likes this.
  3. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

France 24 just reported, through a church official, that all the artwork has been saved! :love:

Lexicus, Pangur Bán and Pangaea like this.
  4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

One would think that during a renovation most of the artwork would have been removed to storage. Even without a fire, a building under renovation is no place for something irreplaceable.

Synsensa and Lexicus like this.
  5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

That sounds incredible, but amazing work if correct.

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing they will use a different company for the reconstruction.

6. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

The restoration was for the roof and supposed to go on for multiple years. The church room was still open and being used during this.

Only some of the outside art had been removed for the restoration work.

7. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

:cry:

8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Well crap, this thread was literal. That's really unfortunate :(. Hope everyone is safe at least, including people trying to put out the fires.

9. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I visited it by motorcycle over thirty years ago.

It is possible.

Maybe some negligent management allowed the workers to leave a thinner can there at the end of the working day.

As at Windsor Castle a few years back.

10. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

Some of the artwork was removed for restoration a couple weeks ago, and most if not all of the rest has been put to safety. What worries me is that the structure might be damaged, which would mean no possible restoration of the building. The fire is now approaching the towers, with its centuries-old bells.

11. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Ah, the poor Hunchback. What will he do?

12. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Paris fire department says the next 60–90 minutes are crucial.

But I fear the entire cathedral is lost... :cry:

13. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

I'm not Catholic, and I'm not big into conspiracy theories, but Notre Dame burning down just before Easter is too coincidence'y for my tastes.

Sad to see hundreds of year old architecture go up in flames. Sure, it can be rebuilt, but it just won't be the same. I'm actually madder at that than I am the idea of any artwork being lost.

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Hope they can contain the fire from the two towers, but it sounds very bad, and may be impossible to contain. Quite possible it will just have to burn until there isn't more to fuel the fire, as awful as that sounds.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

This building stood for a millennium. How many restorations and repairs in that time? Why is this only happening now?

16. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Those towers are massive, other similar have survived fires. It'll be rebuilt. The one thing I hope they take extra care to save is the facade!

Might even come out better, some of those gargoyles were either 19th century additions or very bad restorations already!

It's happening now because restorations re dangerous and require specialized care. Paris seems to be more concerned about "terrorism" than accidents....

Paris was already overrated as a tourist destination. The still have the Saint-chapelle and all the loot stashed in the Louvre, otherwise there is little point in visiting it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  17. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

Apparently the firefighters have stopped the fire from getting into the towers, which is huge.

Edit : They think the structure is safe now, but remain cautious

18. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

If the structure stands, and most of the art got saved, then there's still some hope. The firefighters have done a great job. :)

19. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Warlord

the typical far-right fake news sources are already blaming muslims as if a fire has never happened before. theyre already putting it out as a "holy week disaster" so lets not forget that the real victims of this event are sadly muslims living in france and throughout the west.

its sad sure, but it is only an old church and unfortunately this accident is being used by the typical suspects to further antagonize muslims everywhere.

hh

haroon likes this.
  20. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

AH!