Now (scenario of the present world)

Matrix

CFC Dinosaur
Retired Moderator
Download this scenario.

Last scenario update: August 18, 2002
Last readme update: October 1, 2002

It's finished and playable!
Here's the thread while making the scenario.

And here's the readme:

Now

-------------

Scenario made by Maarten "Matrix" Lensink.
Email: matrix@civfanatics.net

Requires version 1.29f of Civilization III

-------------

How to start with a different Civilization: see below!

-------------

This scenario is based on the world map already made by Zach Wilson.
Perfected by Kal-Els.

As I speak, there are 192 countries in the world.
Dividing them into a number which playable for Civ3 is a tough job therefore. Some countries which just separated from their big neighbour are here back together again. Some big ancient old enemies are in the same "Civilization" now. Though some of you might see that as an error or perhaps even an insult, it is inevitable. What I wanted to achieve was to modelate the current status of this world. This isn't characterized by small wars between countries of which we could care less (although we should), but by a near worldwide peace.

I was disappointed when I noticed that the editor of Civ3 does not give the opportunity (yet) to set up relations between different Civilizations. However, I was happily surprised that (in the beginning) no one would dare to go to war with anyone else, and that's just what I wanted to set up, so no big deal. Only America and Arabia might have war now in Civ-terms, but the rest is all piece and tranquility anyway.

Nevertheless, it's most fun to start with Africa on a difficulty lower than you're used and then rule the world!

One last thing: do *not* learn your topography with this scenario. It's very inaccurate, but I didn't want to use the name Kamalazoo when Detroit is only 250 km away. (Which is only an example. There are much worse cases.)

-------------

How to start with a different Civilization:
  1. Start the Civ3 editor (Civ3Edit).
  2. Go to "Player Properties".
  3. Scroll the most upper drop-down menum where it says "Player 1", *not* the "Civilization" drop-down menu.
  4. Search for the player which has the Civilization you want to play.
  5. Click on the check-box "Human Player". It will ask you for a confirmation, click on "Yes".
  6. Click on "Ok", save it and exit. Then start the scenario and you will start as your loving Civ.
Why one has to preselect your wanting Civ with the editor and not when starting the scenario:
Because both money and technology is designated to a specific player and not a Civilization. It was possible to make it so that one could choose the Civ when starting the scenario, but then you'll always start with the same amount of money and technology, which makes the scenario highly inaccurate. Africa isn't quite as far as America, unfortunately.

Finally: I'm sorry it takes so long to load the scenario, but again that's out of my hands. But I'm quite confident there will come another patch for Civ3 some day to eliminate this tedious waiting.

Have fun!!
Matrix

Added: I wish to send this scenario to Firaxis, therefore I wish some people to test it. I think you won't be bored...once the scenario is loaded. :rolleyes:

Took a look at it, i've not played it yet.

It's Copenhagen in english not Kopenhagen, in Danish it's København. But you should call it Copenhagen.

And 'Venetia' should be called Venezia.

Is it Dutch names?

Maybe Manchester should be renamed Edinbough?

Well, I've used a Dutch atlas. :rolleyes: I know most cities in English too and that Russian names are different in Dutch than in English: an "u" in English is "oe" in Dutch (same pronounciation of course) (Moermansk=Murmansk; Irkoetsk=Irkutsk).

But thanks for the tips. ;)

:eek: HOLY SMOKES this took me a long time to load but hell it was worth it:goodjob: I think I could fix yer problem for u Ill check in if I can solve it;)

Great scenario.

However, I have a gripe with the way Russia is presented. First off, Russia has A LOT of tanks(mostly defensive) and this is not shown here. Also, they have many tactical nukes and ICBMs in their arsenal(I say about 3 per of each for each city, in Civ terms.)
Furthermore, Russia doesn't have only 25 million people; some of the cities, I feel, should be expanded, population-wise.

Otherwise, great scenario. :)

I think with Korea, Japan should control Seoul and China should control Pyongyang. I also think Isreal should be independent, it would make it more interesting.

Great scenario, two thumbs up!

Edit: One more thing, if you are going to make Isreal part of america, i think Kuweit should too.

Edit: One more thing, if you are going to make Isreal part of america, i think Kuweit should too.

Israel is a much stronger ally, for more than a few reason.
For example, Israel has a lobby and there's also a population and inner-states connections.

In case of a total war for example, Israel is more than likely to stand with USA and Kuweit is still a target for pressure from It's population and neighbooring regimes.

Took a little over an hour to load ( :) )but man....its great! :goodjob: :)

Kudos for knowing that there is a St. John and a St. John's. Technically it is spelled Saint John instead of St. but hey I'm just glad my town made the world map! :D

Two suggestions:
Make Khartoum (Sudan) and Port Sudan part of Arabia. (Sudan has been in a civil war for a while witht he fundamental Islamists winning and the Christian South losing. A cease fire was just signed but the country is still Islamic and a haven for terrorism including Osama bin Laden at one point.)
Move Cairo one square SE to allow for a Suez canal. (Yeah only Arabia can use it, but it makes that city more important. Kind of like San Jose in Panama.)

Also hopefully by submitting the scenario to Firaxis they might speed up the loading process.

Originally posted by Daaraa
Two suggestions:
Make Khartoum (Sudan) and Port Sudan part of Arabia. (Sudan has been in a civil war for a while witht he fundamental Islamists winning and the Christian South losing. A cease fire was just signed but the country is still Islamic and a haven for terrorism including Osama bin Laden at one point.)
Move Cairo one square SE to allow for a Suez canal. (Yeah only Arabia can use it, but it makes that city more important. Kind of like San Jose in Panama.)
Good suggestions! :) I'll change that.

Russia will get more tanks and nukes as well.

Great to hear that! :D

I hope Firaxis will like it as well... I sent it in wednesday and sent a updated version this morning. Let's hope they add it to PTW. :)

Nice job, I was only able to choose Europe as my playable civ, not that I am complaining, but if that is the way it is designed, then you should release it as a saved game that way we the players would not have to wait the 45 minutes or so for the scenario to configure (FIRAXIS please fix!!).

My WWII scenario I am working on takes a long time to load also, so I have been thinking of ways to cut down on the time it takes to load.

Very good scenario BTW. It has great potential to become one of the best in my opinion. All we need now is more user made units and to customize the Unique units for each civilization.

Pap

I guess I figured I should have read that, must be why they are included and called README's. :)

Have you considered putting unique units in?

If you are, I would like to help you, I know a lot about the current situations in the world, so I would be willing to help.

Let me know if you are considering it, and if you would like help.

Pap

I started a game as South East Asia.When I met the Chinese,Russians,Indians,and Australians I signed a mutual protection pact with them.Then,i bought oil,aluminum,rubber,and incense from the Russians.About 20 turns later I had my first 2 ICBM's.

I am now keeping my alliances and loading my 10 transports with modern armor and mech infantry to invade Japan. :)

And even though it takes forever to load,I think this the best scenario on these boards. :goodjob:

can somone uplad this scenario to CFC, i keep getting errors when i try to download the file

no my network security settings wont allow me to download from that server fo some reason, i checked your site andit was fine. I cant change them so if you could upload it here i would really be greatful

Top Bottom