Obama urges supreme court to end gay dsicrimination

The point of marriage:
Human: want sex!
Authority figure: You need to jump through hoop.
Human: where is hoop?
Authority figure: As it happens, it's in my hand.
Human: *jumps*

There used to be entire counties like that in South, even in the late 60s. They were called "sundown towns" and counties. They allowed blacks to come in during the day to clean their toilets, take care of their kids, and work in their fields. But by sundown all the blacks had to be outside the town or county limits, or they would typically be visited by a bunch of people wearing white sheets to hide their true identities.

Sadly, these towns were not strictly a feature of the South. The town I grew up in, which is in central New Jersey, was apparently such a place at least into the 1930s.

Let me see if I've got this right: cripple the government, because if a Stealth Hitler gets elected, a weak government will keep him from doing anything. Sounds reasonable.
Yeah, I really want Dommy to explain exactly how an extraordinarily weak government does anything at all to stop someone like Hitler from rising to power and abusing said power.

It wouldn't necessarily but it would make it a lot harder because the system wouldn't give him as many powers to abuse. Granted, if men with guns actually listened to his unlawful decrees than it wouldn't matter, until other people with guns tried to stop him...

Why would a weak, crippled government be "a lot harder" for a dictator to sweep aside?

Do you understand how dictators operate?

The system you describe has absolutely no checks and balances to keep the executive in check, meaning that their lack of prescribed power ultimately doesn't matter.

You know, I remember the good old days. When this thread was still about gay marriage. Must have been, oh, a page ago.

What happened to those days?

A post happened.

And now it's about how dictators use crippled governments to not do their evil bidding.

Obviously gay marriage leads to dictatorships, which is why Obama is backing it.

If we legalize gay marriage, next thing you know people will be marrying dogs and robots and Hitler will reincarnate and take over the presidency and work his tail off to pass legislation in Congress to give him superpowers and shrug and say "aw shucks" when the SCOTUS overturns the law if/when passed.

It wouldn't necessarily but it would make it a lot harder because the system wouldn't give him as many powers to abuse. Granted, if men with guns actually listened to his unlawful decrees than it wouldn't matter, ..
You are aware of how weak and impotent the Weimar Republic was?
Fun fact, everything Hitler did legislatively was perfectly legal. Hindenburg was pretty much off his rocker by that point and, with the help of some proceedural trickery, got Hitler into the office of Chancellor.
until other people with guns tried to stop him.
You mean like the Communists? Or the Freikorps that made up large parts of the SS? Or the Strasserites?

Zack said:
If we legalize gay marriage, next thing you know people will be marrying dogs and robots and Hitler will reincarnate and take over the presidency and work his tail off to pass legislation in Congress to give him superpowers and shrug and say "aw shucks" when the SCOTUS overturns the law if/when passed.
Only Reincarnated Hitler?
I was hoping for an Unholy Trinity of Lenin, Stalin, and Mao with His Glorious Leader Kim Jong-Il as their Emmisary of Despair.

Fun fact, everything Hitler did legislatively was perfectly legal. Hindenburg was pretty much off his rocker by that point and, with the help of some proceedural trickery, got Hitler into the office of Chancellor.
Actually, the proceedural trickery was keeping Hitler out of office as long as he did.

Gay discrimination does not, in fact, exist.

There is no gay - straight dichotomy.Rather, there is a gradient from one extreme to the other.

Open your eyes. Check your ignorance.

Gay discrimination does not, in fact, exist.

There is no gay - straight dichotomy.Rather, there is a gradient from one extreme to the other.

Open your eyes. Check your ignorance.

The gay gradient is pretty heavily discriminated against.

Top Bottom