"Obamanomics" Obama's economc policies

A little. But if you let them be legal they'd pay more.

Well...some actually do regardless: http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm

NASHVILLE — The tax system collects its due, even from a class of workers with little likelihood of claiming a refund and no hope of drawing a Social Security check.
Illegal immigrants are paying taxes to Uncle Sam, experts agree. Just how much they pay is hard to determine because the federal government doesn't fully tally it. But the latest figures available indicate it will amount to billions of dollars in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes this year. One rough estimate puts the amount of Social Security taxes alone at around $9 billion per year.

Paycheck withholding collects much of the federal tax from illegal workers, just as it does for legal workers.

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't track a worker's immigration status, yet many illegal immigrants fearful of deportation won't risk the government attention that will come from filing a return even if they might qualify for a refund. Economist William Ford of Middle Tennessee State University says there are no firm figures on how many such taxpayers there are.

"The real question is how many of them pay more than they owe. There are undoubtedly hundreds of thousands of people in that situation," Ford said.

Uh...if they buy goods in the USA arent they paying tax?

They're paying Sales tax. Not income, personal property, Social Security, Medicare, etc.

They are paying the property tax. There's no avoiding that one.

If they manage to buy a house, sure, but not for unregistered vehicles.

If they manage to buy a house, sure, but not for unregistered vehicles.

CT has a property tax on vehicles. I thought most other states did not. But if you rent an apartment or a house, then you pay the property tax.

CT has a property tax on vehicles. I thought most other states did not. But if you rent an apartment or a house, then you pay the property tax.

VA has a tax on vehicles too, but if they're not registered with the DMV, no taxes are paid.

As for medicare, SS, etc., those aren't paid if it's under the table, which there is a lot of here. Contractors pay pick-up-group construction workers and treat them as if they were sub-contractors, not deducting taxes from their pay. From my understanding, it's usually in cash, to boot.

Yeah, I am sure there would be cheaters. People cheat on the tax code now. This tax is supposed to bring in "underground" income as people that skip out on taxes are going to have to pay them.

The 40 million illegals wont be able to get around the tax as they're going to buy products.

It's theory, yes.
Do illegals pay embedded taxes?:mischief:

They're paying Sales tax. Not income, personal property, Social Security, Medicare, etc.
If they are using a fake social security number, they are having taxes withheld from their paychecks that they can't get back as a refund (which they would likely be entitled to given low level of pay). They are paying into social security without a way to see the benefit. They are actually paying more taxes than Americans at similar income levels.

VA has a tax on vehicles too, but if they're not registered with the DMV, no taxes are paid.

As for medicare, SS, etc., those aren't paid if it's under the table, which there is a lot of here. Contractors pay pick-up-group construction workers and treat them as if they were sub-contractors, not deducting taxes from their pay. From my understanding, it's usually in cash, to boot.

That's common, yes. And is not limited to illegal immigrants. When I was in college, my summer job was with a moving company. It was affiliated with a national moving company, and each driver is effectively an independent businessman. A driver would come to the area with a pickup or unload, and the local affiliate would "lend" him a worker. The driver paid in cash. The laborer is supposed to report it on their own. I doubt many did.

See my post above yours - some actually pay more than they would pay if working legally.

I have a hard time beliving that many do this. After working in the construction industry, I can tell you the majority in that field are being paid under the table. I'm sure that goes into other fields too.

I have a hard time beliving that many do this. After working in the construction industry, I can tell you the majority in that field are being paid under the table. I'm sure that goes into other fields too.
You mean a black market? I guess that couldn't happen with a 30% tax on goods and services.

But many work for places like meat packers and sweatshops with fake documents. That's actually one of the ways the government catches for deportation a large number of illegals.

You know, in a more ideal world, the fairtax is a fairly reasonable method of taxation. Heck, I like some forms of sales taxation, just because they make sense at that level.

But we're crafty at avoiding taxes. We bend over backwards to not pay taxes, and this is why taxes hit us from every-which-way, because they're trying to get something from people who're taking advantage of any leak possible. If you make a single form of taxation, people will modify their behaviour to avoid it. Heck, whenever wind comes of any new tax policy, I shift my spending and investments to minimize my taxes.

A single tax just wouldn't work, because we're sneaky.

Top Bottom