Official Civ4 S&T Off-Topic Thread

Best of luck to you Spirictum! That's a lot of difficulties life has thrown at you, but I'm glad you're overcoming them!

Is the impeachment of a president such a big deal in Brazil?
Being Italian, I'm kind of apathetic to the absurdities (the forum won't let me use a more appropriate term) our politicians constantly throw around, and changing governments (before their nominal expiration date) is kinda usual around here.
Thanks Noyyau! :thumbsup:

But you guys are in a Parliamentary system right? I presume you change government whenever the parliament majority disapproves of the current prime-minister and his cabinet. I've just checked wiki and it seems you italians call both guys Presidents, one of the Council, and the other of the Republic. Is it common to have the Presidente della Repubblica Impeached?

Here we are just like the US, the government is formed by the elected President (Presidente da República) and the parliament has no power to remove the government because it lacks parliamentary majority. The President can only be Impeached by really serious stuff like crimes, which is the case in here.

It has only happened once in our history, in 1992, but back then the former President resigned before the process could reach conclusion, so we never had an Impeached President in Brazil before.

The country is completely split, with not much more people in favor of the Impeachment compared to the people against it (in percentages at least). What is new is that our people is normally completely away on politics, but now most people have an opinion on it. It's becoming a hot topic like Football (Soccer) and Globo's Soap Operas, which is the only good side about this IMO. Manifestations have been happening almost daily but certainly at least weekly.

I myself am not in favor nor against it, but I'm afraid of the outcome. Many people have been suggesting this could end up in a new Dictatorship like we had in the 60s, 70s and 80s, but I don't believe in this. The real problem I see about it is the empowerment of the worst political party we have here, the Brazilian's Democratic Movement Party (PMDB). The current Vice-President belongs to this party, as well as the President of the Senate, the President of the Chamber of Deputies, my State Governor and my City Mayor. This party is the biggest and most amorphous party we have here, crowded by corrupt politicians. If the Impeachment is done, the Vice-President becomes President, and then we are doomed. :scan:

What do you think the most likely result of the situation is? A few of the junior associates are running a pool on the results and all my fellow partners are placing bets on which associate will win without knowing what result their associate has placed their bet on.

It's becoming a hot topic like Football (Soccer) and Globo's Soap Operas, which is the only good side about this IMO. Manifestations have been happening almost daily but certainly at least weekly.

Huh. As hot a topic as football? That should be interesting.

Also, it's great that people are becoming more politically involved, Brazil has been a country that I've always kept at the back of my mind as it is a massive country in South America both geographically and economically (#1 in SA and #7 globally by GDP). Civil unrest there would mean that a lot of my clients would start getting worried about their holdings in South America. Plus, it ranks in the top 25 troop-contributing countries (TCC) for UN peacekeeping missions, which would mean that a dictatorship or sudden shift in policy would possibly/probably result in 1000-2000 fewer peacekeepers world-wide, something that I do not really want due to my love of global stability.

What do you think the most likely result of the situation is? A few of the junior associates are running a pool on the results and all my fellow partners are placing bets on which associate will win without knowing what result their associate has placed their bet on.

You mean if she will be Impeached or not? At first I thought it was impossible, but last month PMDB (that terrible party I mentioned on my last post) declared it would stop supporting the government, and that was what really changed everything. Now the only thing that can stop this is the ex-President Lula. He is trying to become a minister in Dilma's government, but he is also being investigated by the Federal Police. Because of that the Federal Court has denied his position as Minister for a while. If he becomes minister, I believe the Impeachment won't happen because he is a great politician (although I dislike him a lot I can't deny his charisma and knowledge of the brazilian political situation) and this will make many politicians ok with the government again.

But if he doesn't become a minister, the Impeachment is inevitable IMO. More then half the Senate has already stated it's in favor of the Impeahment.

Also, it's great that people are becoming more politically involved, Brazil has been a country that I've always kept at the back of my mind as it is a massive country in South America both geographically and economically (#1 in SA and #7 globally by GDP). Civil unrest there would mean that a lot of my clients would start getting worried about their holdings in South America. Plus, it ranks in the top 25 troop-contributing countries (TCC) for UN peacekeeping missions, which would mean that a dictatorship or sudden shift in policy would possibly/probably result in 1000-2000 fewer peacekeepers world-wide, something that I do not really want due to my love of global stability.

Distatorship nowadays in Brazil is impossible because the only way a dictatorship could rise is through the right-wing politicians as the government is left-wing now. And a right-wing dictatorship wouldn't get support from the US (as it did back in the 60s), nor would it shift its alliance to China, because that wouldn't make any sense to the right-wing political spectrum here. I hope my english was clear here, but China is communist, and no right-wing government here could rely on China and still keep its structure without some serious attacks on its policies.

A government without the support of neither the US nor China wouldn't stand a chance here. Especially from the US because we've been allies since Brazil got its independence from Portugal in 1822, and more so because of cultural and economical ties we have with them.

I'm gonna guess the answer to your question is B - Anybody but TheNoob.
:) Congratulations on finding your game. Sad to see the commune go though.

I miss doing my Wazir-i-Azam duties in the Democratic Caliphate :(

I've just seen the Caliphate's map I uploaded to google drive and it brought a lot of memories :)

I think I'll upload the map as I have it now so everyone who was following that story can see how much I've done to it but never got to upload it (it's almost the complete world already).

I miss S&T's Renaissance ;)

-

Welcome back Greek.
Are you going to start posting on Struggles of the Noyyau again?

I might be back.

Due to writing too much too fast and burning myself out I was forced to leave. Then, due to personal problems and a lack of will to anything I wasn't able to come back. I'm going to ease myself back in. I'll casually write one story and interact with only a few stories. I won't kill myself like I did before.

Top Bottom