On the Floor of the Senate

Emilia Fabia Secunda (unemployed)-

Since it seems most us support the research of horseback riding, I would suggest sending our workers to improve the pasture to the east, in order to take advantage of this new technology as soon as possible.

Romulus Claudius Augantine (unemployed)-

An idea most excellent, it's not specified however, how many horses we have on our hands exactly. Another thing worth mentioning is our social policies, I for one am torn on this issue if we choose to be honourable fighters we will gain many combat bonuses but if we choose liberty we can expand the might of Rome quickly! I look for input from my fellow Romans.

- Portugus Vallerius Tiberium (Censor)

Okay, well it seems like everyone has voiced their opinions about which technology we should research. I will now Call a vote as to what we should research. After the vote I would like to Set the Debate to which social poilicies we should get.

I, Belisarius Fabii Aelius, vote in favour of horseback riding.

Why, you ask, my fellow Romans? For the day that our sons ride on the beasts of the eastern lands is the day that we can start asserting our dominance and cultural superiority over our lesser neighbors. Our horsemen will blot out the sun, carrying on their shoulders the Blessing of Mars and the Glory of Rome- I say- let such a future be! We will assert our greatness to the rest of the world, and they will have no choice but to admit that glorious Rome is the shining city on the Hill! Vote for the Glory of Rome! Vote for the devotion of our scientific resources to Horseback riding!

Belisarius Fabii Aelius

On the subject of Social policies, my fellow senators, I can say but one thing- and that is that we must go down the path of Liberty! Instituting Liberty will allow us to create an Empire that Jupiter himself has ordained shall be ours, stretching around Mare Nostrum touching the Oceanus Atlanticus, and to the Pontus Euxinas (Black sea). Further more We should institute the ideas of Citizenship to our citizens. Doing so will cause them to feel great joy at their having a privilege of Being a Roman citizen, and so they shall work harder and faster for the greater glory of Rome! Perhaps, even some of the most Patriotic and loyal shall band together for the common good of the Roman republic, and they shall work without want of wage! In addition to this, we should give our newly ordained citizens Representation in the senate! Doing so will allow us to expand Rome to vast stretches of land she deserves, without disturbing the innate cultural superiority she must spread to lesser civilizations.

Vale, my fellows, vale. My your free our people with the policies of Liberty.

OOC: Hey, can you guys Bold/ Italicize any policies/techs/whatevers that you are using in your speech/adress.

While I will not deny that the path of Liberty would be a worthy one, I believe that Honor should be our chosen path. War and conquest is intrinsic for august Rome, and that should be reflected in our culture. Add to that Warrior Code and Military Tradition, and we will be well on our way to a military that is worthy of Rome.

Humble servant of Rome, Senator Magnivius Claudius Regulus

Romulus Claudius Augantine (unemployed)-

I have to agree with my fellow Claudii, we are uncertain of what lies beyond the walls if this fair city but it is safe to say it will not be welcoming. Fighting with honour allows our units to fight those filthy savages more effectively who wear the most barbarous of garments, trousers. A warrior code is much needed too, under great leadership from a general, we can train our citizens faster to fight under the banner of Rome. Rome also has a long standing military tradition which would be foolish not to follow, ever since the Great Romulus created Rome's first legions, militarism has run in our blood and a roman who doesn't take the call to arms is not from the same Rome I am.

Belisarius Fabii Aelius

I beseech you my fellow Romans, that before conquest comes our people. Our empire needs an infrastructure before we cripple ourselves with that malgoverned cities of our enemies. I say, power and prosperity first, crippling conquest second! At the very least, I ask you to consider the implications of having only a few, underdeveloped cities- unhappy people, low income, very low amount of units to support, drastically increased production times for new soldiers, less policies to show the world the cultural superiority of Rome, and less resources to use for Rome's glory. Choose the greater path. Choose liberty.

Ooc sorry for bad grammar or spelling mistakes, wrote on mobile

OOC: The people has nothing to say. Only senators matter. :p

OOC: That comment was put in OOC - out of character - and is as such not part of the game oer we, but an observation on it, or something like that. Point is, if there voters or anything like that, I could call them whatever I wanted and they wouldn't 'know' as long as the comment was made in OOC.

As for what I mean, the rules clearly state that decisions are made in the senate, whose members are elected for life by the GM according to a formula which is in no way impacted by popular opinion or anything like that.

OOC: yes I know that, I was just using voters as a way to increase immersion.
:)

I have been observing the game and have been thinking that it may be better to change the decision making process to allow for more autonomy in making decisions. The current system requires too much participation from individuals to keep things moving. Would anyone be apposed to changing it to something more like:

Spoiler :
Consuls:
  • City Consul: Decides the production in the city they lead. Determined by the eldest player in a city. Cannot hold another Consul position.
  • Consul of Commerce: Decides how gold will be spent. The player with the highest influence in Commerce. Directs the actions of great engineers and great merchants. Cannot hold another Consul position.
  • Consul of Faith: Decides how faith will be spent. The player with the highest influence in Faith. Directs the actions of great prophets, missionaries, and any units bought with faith. Cannot hold another Consul Position.
  • Consul of Philosophy: Decides what we will research. The player with the highest influence in Research. Directs the actions of great scientists. Cannot hold another Consul Position.
  • Consul of Culture: Decides what social policies we will adopt. The player with the highest influence in Research. Directs the actions of great artists, writers, musicians, as well as any unit granted by a social policy. Cannot hold another consul position.

Praetors:
  • Praetor Dux: Appointed by the Censor. Decides the actions of all military units.
  • Lower Prateors: Can be added by a resolution in the senate. Can be given sub-jurisdictions of Praetor Dux (for example all naval units, or all melee units, or a few specific units meant to protect a city indefinitely).

Censor:
  • Still determined by whoever is the eldest player in the senate.
  • Gets 2 votes in the Senate.
  • Cannot hold another position.
  • Can Veto actions by Consuls. Veto can be challenged by a vote in the Senate.
  • Conducts Foreign Diplomacy
  • Appoints the Praetor Dux.

Senate:
  • Still appointed by the same process by me (Consul Princeps).
  • Can pass resolutions to veto actions by Consuls. Requires Majority vote.
  • Can pass resolutions to impeach any magistrate by super majority (2/3), this includes Censor, Praetors, and Consuls.
  • Can overturn a Veto made by the Censor.
  • Directs the actions of miscellaneous units via majority vote (workers, scouts, settlers).
  • Anything else that doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of other Magistrates will be decided in the senate by majority vote.

You don't have to be a member of the Senate to get a position as another magistrate (consul or praetors). I would retool the actions to give everybody more chances to grow their influence.

I was also thinking another potentially interesting mechanic to add more strategy to the game would be to cap the number of players in a city to the population level in that city. Rome would have no cap, so all the spillover would be forced to stay in Rome. Older players can 'bump' younger players from a city.

Adding to this last idea, I was thinking I could tie how effective actions to increase influence are to how much of that output is produced in a player's resident city.

If most people agree to these changes I'll make official changes ASAP. If you all wish to stick with the current rules we can do that too. I think, however, these changes will promote inter-family political strife while also keep the game moving along.

That just increases the amount of individual participation, I think. What happens if a Consul is absent? Does the Senate have to impeach the Consul? And what then happens if the Consul's family gets the impeachment shut down?

I have written up the specific rule changes that would be in effect and I accounted for that. I have given the Consul Princeps (myself) the right to remove inactive Magistrates. The impeachment procedures will be for removing someone who goes against your policy stance. I wil howeverl just remove anyone who is inactive.

I guess the real idea is that deliberations won't have to move nearly as slowly because each issue won't be put before the Senate, but rather decided upon by one person immediately.

OOC: I like these new changes, I think the more simple it is, the better, I think the position I hopefully want to end up in is as a lower praetor, who appoints them? My logical guess is the Praetor Dux but it doesn't specify.

Edit: Never mind, they're appointed by the senate.

@MiguelBazil: Precisely. The idea is that your family will work in the background to manipulate the system to gain advantage for your family.

@Warden123:Right now there are only three. We are keeping the same formula for the size (3 + size of rome/2).

Will give everyone tomorrow to respond. If it seems like most people are in favor we will switch over. Because everyone will be on equal footing for every magistrate position, they would be randomly assigned. Senators would remain the same.

Top Bottom