One cop with 10 bullets. You know where this is going.

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced

Questions surround fatal police shooting

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police took the rare step of charging one of their own with voluntary manslaughter after homicide investigators first detailed the case to top commanders “so there would be no ambiguity,” the city manager said Sunday.

The department moved swiftly, charging Officer Randall Kerrick 19 hours after the Saturday incident. It was the first time in decades an officer had been charged with killing someone in the line of duty.

Kerrick is accused of unlawfully shooting Jonathan Ferrell, 24, a former Florida A&M football player who may have been seeking help after a car wreck. He was unarmed when he ran toward officers in the Bradfield Farms neighborhood in northeast Mecklenburg County.

Meanwhile, the NAACP plans a news conference early Monday afternoon, and the attorney representing Ferrell’s family says he will be in Charlotte on Monday. The attorney, Christopher Chestnut, appeared Monday morning with Ferrell’s mother Georgia on CNN and questioned Charlotte-Mecklenburg police training methods and the response of a woman who lives in the house where Ferrell sought help early Saturday.

The speed of the decision to charge Kerrick stands in sharp contrast to prior officer-involved shooting investigations in recent years, which have taken weeks or months to resolve. Two experts in police use of force told the Observer they’d never seen a police officer charged so soon after a shooting.

Ferrell’s family is planning a Monday press conference. Chestnut, their attorney, specializes in wrongful death lawsuits.

The news agency Reuters quoted Chestnut as saying he wonders if race played a role in the shooting.

“If Mr. Ferrell was not black or brown, wouldn’t they have asked him a few questions before showering him with bullets?” Chestnut told Reuters.

In an appearance on CNN on Monday morning, Ferrell’s mother Georgia said there is no explanation for why police shot her son.

“Jonathan was very happy,” she said. “We talked every morning. He called me (Saturday) before he went to his second job. He was very happy.”

Ferrell’s brother Willie told CNN, “He was always happy. It was hard to get him upset.”

Chestnut told CNN he “applauds the arrest” and charges filed against Kerrick but says “there are many other unanswered questions.”

“Why did this officer have a badge and gun?” he asked, adding that CMPD training procedures might need to be reviewed.

And, referring to the woman who answered the door where Ferrell knocked after his car wreck, Chestnut said, “Why did the woman assume it was a robber?”

Police said he drove a black Toyota Camry down a street that leads to the community’s pool, clubhouse and tennis courts. But the car crashed into an embankment about 2 a.m., police said. Investigators said they found no indication of alcohol use, but are waiting for toxicology tests.

Ferrell apparently climbed out of the back window of his mangled car, police said. It was unclear whether he was injured, but he walked to a house just visible over the crest of a hill, about a quarter-mile away.

He started “banging on the door viciously,” according to Monroe.

The woman who lives there at first thought the man knocking on the door was her husband, coming home late from work. But police said when she saw Ferrell, she thought he was a robber. She dialed 911, asking for officers to come to her home in the 7500 block of Reedy Creek Road.

About 2:30 a.m., three Hickory Grove division officers responded to the call – Kerrick, 27, who’s been an officer since April 2011; Thornell Little, who joined the department in April 1998; and Adam Neal, who’s been an officer since May 2008.

They encountered Ferrell a short distance from the home, police said.

As the officers got out of their car, “Mr. Ferrell immediately ran toward the officers,” according to a police statement. It said Ferrell moved toward Kerrick.

Little fired his Taser, but police said it was unsuccessful.

Police said Kerrick fired “several” rounds, striking Ferrell “multiple times.” He died at the scene.

Ferrell had no criminal record in North Carolina and a 2011 misdemeanor charge in Florida that was dismissed.

911 call released in NC athlete shooting

CHARLOTTE, NC (CBS) -- New developments in the case of an unarmed North Carolina man. He was shot to death by a police officer who is now criminally charged. This morning, a 911 call was released that could be a crucial piece of evidence in the chain of events.

Jonathan Ferrell, 24, was apparently looking for help after he crashed his car into a wooded neighborhood on Saturday. He knocked on the front door of this nearby house. But it was 2:30 in the morning. The homeowner mistook him for a burglar, and dialed 911.

Police disguised the homeowner's voice to protect her identity.

Randall Kerrick was one of three police officers who responded. When Ferrell ran toward them, Kerrick drew his gun and shot Ferrell ten times. The 24-year-old died at the scene. He was unarmed.

Kerrick was charged with voluntary manslaughter. Michael Greene is his defense attorney. He says, "We're confident that at the resolution of this case it will be found that officer Kerrick's actions were justified on the night in question."

A police cruiser at the scene recorded part of the confrontation on its dashboard camera. Police showed the video to Ferrell's family and their lawyer Chris Chestnut. He says, "He approaches them, and as he's walking up to them, you see two red lights on his chest, from a taser. And then I think he goes forward, it's difficult to- I believe he said "stop, stop, stop," like wait, don't shoot me. And then he's off camera and there are shots."

Farrell played football for two years at Florida A&M University. Ferrell's family plans to sue the Charlotte Police Force. Jonathan's brother Willie says, "I know for a fact that he wouldn't be going with anger towards them in rage."

Funeral arrangements for Ferrell are now underway. If convicted, Kerrick faces 17 years behind bars.

For Whites (Like Me): We Are Not Ignorant

"Mad," "angry," even "outraged" just don't capture it. So, I realize it's not a very nice word but I'm pissed.

We get "pissed" at someone or something. It is targeted and specific. It's directed. It's sharp.

And I'm pissed about the death of Jonathan Ferrell.

Tragedies upset us. Life is hard and people suffer, sometimes cruelly. As a parent now, when young people die by illness or accident my "the universe can be so brutal and unfair" antennae tunes in so hard it hurts.

But this is worse, because it is not that kind of tragedy. This is not an accident.

And we are not ignorant.

In case you didn't hear, here's the story. Farrell (age 24) was in a horrific car accident, had to climb out of his back window to escape his vehicle, walked a half-mile for help, only to have the woman behind the door he knocked on call 911. When the police showed up, one of them shot him dead.

I don't know the woman's race. (I could speculate.)

I don't know the police officer's race. (He looks white.)

I know Jonathan Ferrell's race. (He was Black.)

I also know that police reports are already reciting the predictable repeating lines in the prewritten script that is almost always found when unarmed Black and Latino men are killed by police officers. The predictability only adds to how suspicious the lines are just on their own accord. Like in Scene 1 where for some reason (so the script goes) an innocent, unarmed young man "charged at officers," somehow able to do so even "after being tasered." Scene 2 usually includes botched evidence, Scene 3 a case thrown out on legal technicalities by the grand jury. If we get a Scene 4 it's officer(s) "innocent" with apologies to his family for their ordeal.

Curtain closes.

Maybe we'll get a different result this time. Unusually, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has actually stated that the use of force here was unwarranted. Maybe.

But even if we do, Ferrell is still dead.

And here's the point: We know that this keeps happening, over and over and over again. Even we white folks know it.

We are not ignorant.

Many of us white folks get pissed when we hear another of these preventable tragedies (the "preventable" moving it from tragedy to injustice) has happened again. But after Trayvon Martin was murdered and Zimmerman set free how many of us moved our bodies in response?

Because, here we are again.

This is not an accusation, I swear. (No self-righteousness here. I haven't been active on this since moving to my city in 2004.)

It's a plea.

I know we white folks feel helpless about what to do. I get that.

But this helplessness is learned. It's chosen. And if we know it's going to happen again (which we do) we've go(t) to unchoose it!

Last weekend I facilitated an antiracism workshop. When asked why she came, one white participant explained that for a long time she thought things were hunky dory in our post-Civil Rights world. Then at some point realized this was a lie. After that, she said, she spent a lot of time in anger and despair.

Recently she told us, she made a decision: "I've decided to start acting like there's something I can do about it."

This was one of the best things I've heard a white person say in a long, long time.
There are organizations in endless neighborhoods, towns, cities in which Black and Latino communities are at work actively trying to end this kind of violence. Trying desperately to protect their children. They do so in most cases without the active, allied, solidarity of those of us who are white and who claim to care.

The same police department that will check to make sure I have the car seat installed correctly for my babies causes these families to live in fear for their babies' lives. The same department that sponsors "Safety Town" so my kids will know how to safely ride their bikes causes these families to teach their 16 year-olds how to more safely drive their cars: by knowing ahead of time they will be pulled over and how to comport themselves when it happens (the Black version of Safety Town).

I hate that this is true.

After one mother shared the most recent experience of her 21-year old, honor's list, college graduate, no-charges-of-any-kind-ever, fully-employed son who has been stopped "more times than I can keep track of on my hands and feet" a local pastor stood up. "I'm Isaac's pastor," she said. And, breaking into tears, "I thank God Isaac handled himself [at midnight, handcuffed because (official explanation) he was "acting nervous" when three white officers with guns pulled him over for no citable reason (Acting nervous? Go figure.)]. Otherwise I might have been doing his funeral today."

We are not ignorant.

Steven Biko, the South African Black Consciousness activist, hero and martyr, also killed by police once compared liberal, anti-apartheid (but inactive) whites and pro-apartheid whites, saying:

In any case, even if there was a real fundamental difference in thinking amongst whites vis-à-vis blacks, the very fact that those disgruntled whites remain to enjoy the fruits of the System would alone be enough to condemn them at Nuremburg. Listen to Karl Jaspers . . . 'There exists amongst men [sic], because they are men, a solidarity through which each shares responsibility for every injustice and every wrong committed in the world and especially for crimes that are committed in his presence of which he cannot be ignorant. If I do not do whatever I can to prevent them, I am an accomplice in them. . . .' Thus if whites in general do not like what is happening to the black people, they have the power in them to stop it here and now. We, on the other hand, have every reason to bundle them together and blame them jointly.

No difference among whites? Is this what we want? What do we want?

Besides knowing we can unchoose helplessness, we need to know that if we are not ignorant and we do nothing we allow these deaths. We are accomplices.

Hating that this happened is not enough. We have the power to be part of stopping it here and now. Not by ourselves. Not by going (white) solo. Not with an expectation that all of it in one fell swoop will end tomorrow if we show up.

But if we hate this, we whites need to find out where and when folks are already fighting it right where we live, fighting because their babies' lives are on the line. Every day.

We are not ignorant. And, thus we can't be declared innocent.

But we can start acting like there's something we can do about it.

One account states that he "viciously" pounded on her door. The 911 caller even claimed he was "breaking down" the front door despite the fact that she opened the door. That he "ran" at the 3 police officers. That they even tried to taser him as he was supposedly running directly at them.

The other account paints an entirely different story based on the unreleased dashboard cam video. That he merely knocked on the door after having a car accident at 2:30 in the morning. That he was walking towards the cops while stating "stop, stop stop" and "wait, don't shoot me".

One thing we do know. One of the cops shot him 10 times...

Do you think it is time to try to finally end these incidents? That by not doing so that we are all "accomplices"? That the victims of white racism have a reason to "bundle them together and blame them jointly"?

Throw the book at those cops, disgusting pigs, make an example out of the for cops everywhere. And the women should be ashamed though perhaps not criminally responsible.

Policemen, everywhere, are a bit of a law unto themselves. Don't they just tend to close ranks and protect their own?

Who, in the end, polices the police?

That, to my mind, is the fundamental flaw in any policing system. But what's the alternative?

Policemen, everywhere, are a bit of a law unto themselves. Don't they just tend to close ranks and protect their own?

That, to my mind, is the fundamental flaw in any policing system. But what's the alternative?

That's Christopher Dorner who gunned down several of his fellow officers (after he was criticized by Evans, and filed counter criticisms) before shooting himself?

What's your point?

That police officers collectively protect their own, or that they don't?

A horrible story... :(

What an unfortunate man. He felt he was saving himself by running towards the police, and that resulted to his death. What a surprise for him when the shots started being fired...

A lesson to never forget to change your sail to the one meant to signify that all will now go well, or someone may die once more (like Aegeas did, when Theseus, his son, had in fact almost returned to perfect safety)... :(

I feel very sorry for the 24 year-old man who died. It is just tragic. The person who gunned him down should never have been a policeman.

Not running.

From The OP

A police cruiser at the scene recorded part of the confrontation on its dashboard camera. Police showed the video to Ferrell's family and their lawyer Chris Chestnut. He says, "He approaches them, and as he's walking up to them, you see two red lights on his chest, from a taser. And then I think he goes forward, it's difficult to- I believe he said "stop, stop, stop," like wait, don't shoot me. And then he's off camera and there are shots."

Obviously we need a bigger police department to police the police. It's the only way.

Wow, that's some extreme cowardice!
A new capital offense "walking towards police while black"?

I guess the moral of the story here is that you don't knock on strangers doors if you are black.

Nope, no problem here. He must have been a thug and on drugs.

Just waiting for those posters.

I'd be surprised. No evidence of intoxication. No evidence of wrongdoing. Merely an attempt by a distressed man to get help from authorities and authorities that murdered him. I'd say most everyone seems really terribly angry at the facts that have come out so far. Sorry, authorities that probably voluntarily manslaughtered him. All glory to the hivemind of communal emergency response and policing. The flawless way forward into a better future.

I'm bad at picking up trolling, should I have been looking for a hook in that one?

Looking at that, I'd say you're bad at trolling.

I should hope so. Could you enlighten me as to which part of my post you took that way?

63 suspended cops with 137 bullets. You know where this is going.

Cleveland police officers punished for 137-bullet chase

CLEVELAND The city fired a police sergeant, demoted two other supervisors and suspended nine more Tuesday for their roles in the chase in which officers fired 137 shots and killed a fleeing driver and his passenger.

The fired officer, Sgt. Michael Donegan, briefly participated in the chase last November but pulled off, parked his patrol vehicle and failed to supervise his officers, police officials said.

"I made a determination that his conduct was so egregious that it merited termination," said Safety Director Martin Flask, who oversees police and fire.

Donegan could not immediately be reached for comment. Messages were left at a home phone listing under his name and with the union that represents police supervisors.

The dismissal can be appealed.

Of the 276 officers on duty on the evening of Nov. 29, 104 were involved in some way in the chase.

Disciplinary hearings will begin by mid-July for most of those rank-and-file patrol officers, Chief Michael McGrath said. Hearings for 13 officers who fired their weapons will be held after a county grand jury completes a criminal investigation.

Police don't know why the driver, Timothy Russell, 43, refused to stop. Russell had a criminal record including convictions for receiving stolen property and robbery. His passenger, Malissa Williams, 30, had convictions for drug-related charges and attempted abduction.

Some critics called the shootings a racially motivated execution of two black people with no evidence they were armed. Police denied any racial profiling.

Russell was shot 23 times and Williams 24 after a half-hour pursuit.

In a wide-ranging review by state agents, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said in February the chase resulted from leadership failures. "Command failed, communications failed, the system failed," DeWine said.

The state report noted that Russell was legally drunk when he became involved in the chase, and he and Williams also tested positive for cocaine. DeWine said they likely had been smoking crack.

McGrath said the episode had damaged the department's relationship with residents and must be repaired. "That means we have to work a little harder on our end," he said at a news conference.

The charges against a lieutenant demoted to sergeant and a captain to lieutenant and suspensions ranging from one day to 30 days for nine sergeants included failing to supervise officers under their command or being unaware that officers were involved in the cross-city pursuit.

One of the suspended sergeants could face harsher discipline when his case goes before Flask.

The police union said the shootings were justified because the driver tried to ram an officer.

Link to video.

A strange feeling of deja-vu "the driver tried to ram the officer".

That said, i am not sure why you had to highlight their race. Would it be any different if they were white or asian?

The police seems nowdays to be killing a lot more people in more reckless ways, indeed.

Can't watch the latest video as I'm at work, so sorry if I've missed anything in there..;)

The police union said the shootings were justified because the driver tried to ram an officer.

Yeah, as Kyriakos says, this line seems familiar. Maybe it's true, I dunno. Maybe it's half true - at some point in the chase he tried to ram an officer, but when the fatal shooting itself occurer he wasn't - I dunno. Or maybe it's a complete fabrication. But regardless of that, it highlights something I've become increasingly aware of in recent times. That the police put protecting their reputation and that of their officers above protecting the public.

Now, to be fair, in both the cases highlighted in this thread, the police leadership does appear to be doing something, but time and time again the default response is to leap to the defence of the officers, and in this case the union is doing just that.

I live in Britain, so much of my perception of American cops comes from getting stories like these from sites like this, so of course there will be some bias there, but the same thing is happening in the UK. There's been several deaths as a result of police actions - mainly shooting, but not exclusively - and always the police (particularly the Met interestingly enough....) blindly leap to the defence of the shooters and attempt to cover up any evidence that would imply that they were in the wrong.

Incidents like the killing of Jean Charles de Menezes (killed in the aftermatch of the 7/7 bombings when police thought he was a terrorist) and the death of Ian Tomlinson (killed after police threw him to the ground during a protest - police claimed they weren't responsible) are typical of this. Even in cases where there was potentially a threat to officers (the aforementioned men were completely innocent), the police lie and cover up - take the Azelle Rodney case. Police chasing a car in which they suspected armed men were planning to commit, I believe, a robbery. Police marksmen pulled alongside the car and fired several shots killing one of the occupants. The marksman claimed he saw Azelle had a gun and fired in self defence. Police internal investigation accepts this and clears him of any wrongdoing. Public inquiry a few years later demonstrates that while there was indeed several guns in the car, Azelle was not armed, and it would have been completely impossible for the marksman to see that he was armed before the shots were fired, and the inquiry reached the conlcusion that the killing was unlawful.

Of course, then there's the granddady of them all: Hillsborough. Even today some elements of the police are still trying to hide their mistakes and blame the fans for the 96 deaths.

Moving away from deaths, we've got the rather silly controvery of "Plebgate", where a senior MP (who, strangely enough, was pushing for cuts in the police's budget...) got in a row with some policemen, who claimed he had called them plebs, complete with a bystander's testimony sent by email which backed up their claims. Senior police took the accounts of their officers at face value despite the MP's denials (he admitted swearing the the cops but denied the insults). Only a month or two later did CCTV emerge which proved the police's version counld not have happened (not enough time for the reported exchange to take place before the MP left) and that the "bystander" was in fact an off duty copper who wasn't even there in the first place. And still, the police try to protect thier own despite this.

I'm not so much criticising the police for what happened: you can argue that there needs to be better training and control of the use of firearms by officers or similar but ultimately most of the evens I've mentionned were tragic accidents or overreactions. In the case of Azelle Rodney, I can even understand to some extent why the marksman fired given that he had been told that the men were armed. My problem is the response. It's never "our officers screwed up, they will be disciplined and if need to face the law". It's always "our officers are completley innocent and did the right thing", combined with an attempt to cover up anything that differs from their story.

I'd like to think this is a new thing, but events like Hillsborough show that in fact, it's always been going on and I've just not had my eyes open.

Top Bottom