One cop with 10 bullets. You know where this is going.

Policemen, everywhere, are a bit of a law unto themselves. Don't they just tend to close ranks and protect their own?

Who, in the end, polices the police?

That, to my mind, is the fundamental flaw in any policing system. But what's the alternative?

Well, right now in the U.S. the police department investigates their own officers when there are any charges of wrongdoing.

Policing your own is a horrible idea and leads to a lot of problems. To change things for the better this would have to be reformed - but I bet nobody who is currently a cop wants to change this - and cops have a fair bit of political power.. so..

Wow, that's some extreme cowardice!
A new capital offense "walking towards police while black"?

Nah, the laws are "Try to be white" and "Do not be black"

The point of giving the police guns is not to have them use them.

The gun gives the holder additional threat and authority. They're not action hero vigilantes. The gun is a safety measure when in need of overpowering suspects, to have them contained and run through the legal system.

Why do so many cops forget this? They're not supposed to shoot the suspects when encountering one. That's the absolutely last measure, only when people are threatened at their lives.

Cops are not judges, they're not executioners. Their primary function is to contain suspects and save noncops, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm of the inclination that when you hero-ize cops and tell the nation that you are in a constant state of war against "terror" or something fuzzy you wind up adopting some of the less flattering aspects of samurai warrior culture.

Well, right now in the U.S. the police department investigates their own officers when there are any charges of wrongdoing.

Policing your own is a horrible idea and leads to a lot of problems. To change things for the better this would have to be reformed - but I bet nobody who is currently a cop wants to change this - and cops have a fair bit of political power.. so..

Yeah, here in the UK the police do internal investigations, and find in favour of the officers. Sometimes the supposedly Independant Police Complaints Commision gets involved and usually finds in favour of the officers. Finally, if there's enough public outcry, we get a full independant inquiry which usually says the police were at least partly in the wrong (though rarely goes as far as to recommend criminal charges against officers). You would think someone would join the dots by now....

Cops shoot certain white people too:

Footage from a surveillance camera pointed at the street where officers shot a mentally ill man in the abdomen earlier this week shows the man never walked toward police nor raised a knife to them, disputing a police officer’s narrative provided in a sworn affidavit.

On Oct. 14, the man’s mother called 911 to report that her mentally ill son was sitting in a swivel chair in the middle of a cul de sac with a knife and acting erratically. Joyce Jackson, the man’s mother, said the dispatcher promised to send officers who were trained on interacting with the mentally ill.

The surveillance video, given to News 8 by Jackson’s neighbor Maurice Bunch, shows Bobby Gerald Bennett, 53, walk out of the garage of his mother’s home at 9452 Crimnson Court at noon. He begins pacing the street.

At 12:05 p.m., Bennett retrieves a swivel chair from the garage and sits in the middle of the block. He gets up and talks to Bunch and returns to the chair at 12:08 p.m. Bennett sits still in the chair until a single police cruiser arrives at 12:19 p.m. It’s not clear whether he is holding the knife at this point.

Ofc. Cardan Spencer and a witnessing officer exit the police car and slowly walk toward Bennett, who pushes the chair backward a few feet. He then stands up straight and the two officers draw their weapons. The officers stop about 20 feet from him. Eight seconds after pulling their guns, Spencer fires and Bennett crumples over and falls to the ground. An affidavit says Spencer fired his weapon four times, striking Bennett once in the abdomen.

According to the police affidavit, Spencer was “in fear for his and Wit. Watson’s safety,” and “fired his duty weapon four times at (Bennett), striking him one time in the abdomen.”

Bunch also refutes this account. He said Bennett walked over to him in his driveway and talked with him. Bunch said he gave Bennett a cigarette and he walked back to his swivel chair. The knife and a pouch of tobacco was sitting on the concrete next to the street, Bunch said.

“I believe he may have had the knife in his hand (when police shot at him), I’m not 100 percent sure,” Bunch said. “I know when they came, I saw the knife sitting on the ground with a pouch of tobacco.”

Jackson said she told the dispatcher her son was mentally ill. She said the responding officers never approached her before firing on her son, who stood at least 20 feet from them, according to the affidavit. Each Dallas police officer is required to be trained to handle incidents involving mentally ill individuals.

An officer is only supposed to discharge their service weapon if they are in fear of their lives, the lives of their partners or to protect members of the general public.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/surveillance-footage-disputes-dallas-police-affidavit-officer-involved-shooting--mentally-ill-228252551.html

The gun gives the holder additional threat and authority. They're not action hero vigilantes. The gun is a safety measure when in need of overpowering suspects, to have them contained and run through the legal system.

Why do so many cops forget this? They're not supposed to shoot the suspects when encountering one. That's the absolutely last measure, only when people are threatened at their lives.

Cops are not judges, they're not executioners. Their primary function is to contain suspects and save noncops, nothing more, nothing less.

Sure, but if you're a cop in a country where anyone could have a gun, I can understand being a bit more trigger happy than if you were a cop in say.. Germany.

Not that I really disagree with anything you said

Sure, but if you're a cop in a country where anyone could have a gun, I can understand being a bit more trigger happy than if you were a cop in say.. Germany.

Not that I really disagree with anything you said

I can understand that, and that's still only a reason to shoot if they actually pull out their gun against you.

A guy walking towards you 2:30 am with no gun in sight? Hold the gun in front of you, aim at him, tell him to get down and pacify him. The real world isn't an action movie where people ninjadraw their guns and somersault over you, shooting you and ten other people while your aim are worse than Batman Begins-terrorists' and stormtroopers' combined. And if you absolutely have to shoot him, do it once, in order to pacify him. You're not Dirty Harry.

Not that I think you really disagree with any of that.

I say if you give a man a gun, sooner or later he's going to want to shoot someone with it. Stands to reason, imo. 'Tis only natural curiosity.

Careful with your upcoming Halloween costumes gents.

No wonder. He was wearing a hoodie.

I dunno. Cops are a mixed bag. People are attracted to the profession for really good and really bad reasons. I find that cops tend to be a "fire or ice" situation. They're either the nicest guys I've ever met or adult playground bullies.

The turd in the punchbowl is that caps are still human. You give a jumped up Dale Gribble who watches too many cop movies a gun and get one result and you give a level-headed guy just trying to do his job a gun and get a different result. Nothing for it but better screening, really. Obviously things like irrational fear of black males can be a factor as well ( and I'll admit probably was the big factor here. )

Perhaps, since cops have to subjectively judge when they are in mortal danger, they need up the ante for physical courage required to serve on the force? Not everyone in a society has to be super brave ( it takes all kinds, as they say ) but maybe we need to screen cops to make sure they're a little less skittish?

Top Bottom