ONESI: Upon the Fallen

I did, just haven't gotten a chance to give it my full mind quite yet. Expect a reply soon!

This is a friendly reminder that orders are due in 36 hours!

Send them to me (or a link to a googledoc, if you want) via CFC PM before 12:00 AM EST on the 3rd.

Thanks!

Hi. I'm pretty new to NESing, but I think this is an interesting concept and I'd like to take a look. If it's alright, perhaps somebody could help me figure out how to join?

If you'll help, thanks. Sorry about the trouble- I'm pretty nervous with these sorts of things.

Hi. I'm pretty new to NESing, but I think this is an interesting concept and I'd like to take a look. If it's alright, perhaps somebody could help me figure out how to join?

If you'll help, thanks. Sorry about the trouble- I'm pretty nervous with these sorts of things.

Hey, Novice_Writer, there's usually someone around on our #IRC channel #NES able to help and talk. (And, I'm guessing you are a writer... A good number of us are writers, and happy to talk and proofread and edit.)

Instructions to log onto #nes

Essentially, what happens is everyone writes orders and send them to ork75, who is the "mod" of this NES. We're at the stage where we've just done that, so now we wait while he writes the update. Then, if you like, you can read the update, and then make up a culture for yourself and claim a spot on the map, using the format in post #3 of this thread. (ork75 has said he doesn't want new applications between the deadline and the next update, because they might interfere with his updating process.)

In the meantime, you should read the only update so far (posts #64-#66), which will tell you the history of the world down to the bronze age, which is where we are up to, and which gives the up-to-date maps and stats. You should also have a look at the front page and read the specific rules of this NES.

Sometimes in NESes you can join by claiming an NPC (a Non-Player Country). I don't know if ork75 wants people to do that at this early stage, but there are two NPC cultures (the Kelrang and the !-tséluhi) that you might be able to take if you like. In that case, you would have to work out what information there is about them already from the last update, and then you could develop them by writing stories, etc., to add cultural information and interest as if they were your own creation, and send orders likewise.

Hi Novice,

I know exactly how you feel -- it gets a tad intimidating lol especially because everyone here is a seasoned veteran at this. Good to see someone new at this as well :).

I don't see a need to change my application. I've got clear process for handling foreigners embedded into my culture. Ethnogenisis might vary a little, bit that's neither here nor there really.

Sorry for the downtime folks, lots of stuff has been going on behind the screens for me the past few weeks. Luckily, the end is in sight and I've started working on the update again.

This is not dead, but progress will be slow at least until mid June. There could be an update before then, though, it's hard to tell at this point in time.

Sorry for the random bump, but just wanted to express interest in this! I am content to post an application after the update so as not to disrupt the writing process. This looks promising and I hope it continues :)

An extract from, Weeks About The Savages by "Lu", an early Juakeh writer on Kanadim culture.

"A youngling, hardly the age of seven cycles, sat in front of the esteemed audience - high caste leaders, of the first three castes. Gathered from many tribes they were, different ornations of feathers, bones, metals and precious stones covered them all in varying places of the form [body]. There I sat also with them, surely the many hundreds in front of us noticed me. Subtly in times not of warring, is not a trait well enmeshed in Kanadim psyche.
For I came attired in formal clothing of the stately merchants of my homeland. My invitation was somewhat untimely, and due to me being of Juakeh descent, there was noticeable disregard of my presence. A sense of indifference and toleration, rather than a kindly welcome is what I felt. My translator - Lo'i, a young scribe of the chiefly sect, educated fairly well in our glorious language, was respectful enough as to not cause direct insult to me - but would occasionally leave desired, gaps in rendering what seemed to be sneers and belittling remarks from those he bothered to introduce me to. The Kanadim tongue is harsh to the ear of outsiders, it is hard to see how one who loses a limb in war, especially the hands, would do well to illustrate a point succinctly. The sun was bright in the sky, a single cloud not about. . He donned the mark of the priestly caste upon his forehead, this youngling, two lines of pale ash colored white (denoting the paths to a level of [afterlife]) with a black third line with intricate patterns, denoting his village and tribe. Bare chested he was but for a simple cloth, brown with yellow painted Si'a characters boldly impressed upon the fabric.
The middle of his head was completely shaved, allowing hair only on both sides, purposefully platted into locks. The young ones gathered made quite the spectacle of this lad’s appearance, not in a disrespectful manner I should say, more in fascination and innocent awe. - I quietly inquired of Lo'i the fashion of his hair as it seemed missing on other high caste, younglings I gazed at the gathering. "It is the style of those who worship the old gods. From the age before, they serve the customs of… less enlightened times." Behind the boy scholar, an old man sat, missing were the flowery ornations of others seated with us. Instead, tattoos covered the man, his hair completely shaved, stone grey eyes he had - an austere demeanor from him I felt. Several individuals, passing by the ancient looking one and the youngling, bowed deeply and gave gifts of foodstuffs next to the old man's right side, before taking their place amongst the crowd... A short stick the old man held to the back of the youngling, it looked like a small dagger but of just wood. A thorn instead of a blade made its tip. Asking of Lo'i the meaning of this, Lo'i pointed to the boy’s lower back. Many small scars, raised and pink spotted all over his lower back. Some sort of religious scarifications maybe I thought.
Lo'i shook his head slowly, "no, the stick is a deterrent for the boy not to make an error in reciting their scriptures". I tried to hide my shock with a deliberate slow nod, less enlightened times indeed, I thought to myself silently. The old man raised the correction stick straight into the air. The crowd came surely to a hush. A tap from the old one to the right shoulder of the boy was his signal. Swaying from left to right, as if in a trance, the boy suddenly stopped. Inhaled a big breath and in a measured tone, loud but not hoarse – a type of melodic chanting, rendered the following verse as Lo’i recounted them in my ear, "Moon. mounts the Sun. Stars. Of the nine heavens. Look upon us… bring down a favor of the [shadows].""

An extract from the Divine Records, wherein the god Arsatos, conveyer of truth, provides instruction as to the correct ritual practice for ritual sacrifice to expiate sins against the heavenly gods.

-

And the Conveyer of Truth said...

"It is forbidden to render Shaarug unto the gods, or profane the ineffable ENAARU with that which is impure. Treat henceforth with reverence those oblations which thou shalt render unto the gods that all may know the holiness and majesty of the lords of heaven, earth and that which is under the earth. Likewise let all act with piety and treat with reverence all that which pertains unto the law, unto the truth and unto right practice that none may scorn that which is holy and bring down the weight of shaarug upon the people.

Nonetheless at times ye shall err. When ye err therefore, let ye repay sins against the gods of heaven and the Holy ENAARU with fitting sacrifice, that by reparation ye may restore the good graces of heaven and expiate the wrath of the gods and avert the inevitable judgment of gesa.

To expiate sins against heaven the following is demanded. Render sheep, oxen or another sanctioned beast pure and white unto the god as the circumstances require. The sacrifice must be without defect, know not the yoke nor defilement of the flesh, and have been fed upon hallowed ground and watered from the wells sanctified and rendered holy unto Atashvar the father of waters and which have been properly purified upon the new year festival with the seven herbs and rites of Athe'ainas. The sex of the sacrifice must be the same as the one to whom the offering is being sacrificed.

When conducting the sacrifice, first the priest must sprinkle upon the head of the victim salt and ash from the temple fire, before purifying the victim with incense and the smoke of the seven holy herbs. Thereupon prayers are to be conveyed to god Maro'sen that the sacrifice might be righteous, god Vahishte that it might be conveyed unto heaven, and the god to whom the victim is being sacrificed that it might be acceptable and fitting in his sight, and the holy hymns required according to the rites of the god in question are to sung to the correct incantation. Then, upon conveying thy petition and thy repentance to the god, the priest shall slay the victim on the altars north side under the light of the sun with a knife of flint hallowed to heaven in pure spring water according to the rites of Athe'ainas with a clean strike to the throat, such that the blood of the sacrifice is poured out upon the holy altar and flows down unto the earth.

All the fat of the victim shall then be removed and burnt as an offering to the god upon the altar. Likewise, the entrails and all the best parts shall be burnt as an offering in reparation for sins against the god to repay that which is owed. All that is burnt is to be seasoned with salt, flour and twigs of (1)Senkiva or if Senkiva is unavailable one of the holy herbs considered by custom to be a fitting substitute.

The remaining meat shall be distributed half to the priests of the temple, and half to those attending to the offering, with the skin being given to the priest who conducted the sacrifice as his due. The meat is to be eaten in a holy place by these, for it is holy by virtue of that to which it has been offered. Upon being consumed, the devotees are to drink from the holy waters and purify themselves with those same waters. The priests shall do the same.

Do all these things, and thy sacrifice to expiate thy sins shall be right and proper, and fitting according to the reckoning of the gods"

~ Excerpt from the Divine Records

-

Spoiler :
note (1) Senkiva (one of the seven holy herbs - similar to ephedra genus species)

-

"Wisely we have partaken of thy nectar, and turned our minds unto the highest truth to find out treasures.
Verily the food unto which all gods and mortals gather themselves together, floweth like water from thy side.
Thou has entered within our souls, appeaser of celestial anger, and taken residence within our holy sanctuaries.
Ye bring us upwards unto the lofty abode of the gods, forward unto riches greater than can be measured.

For we have drunk from the nectar of life and become immortal. We have obtained the light the gods discovered
Now what foes malice may unto us do harm? What mortal mans deception may lead us astray?
Thy sweetness has been absorbed into our hearts, O ENAARU, as fathers blood flows in the veins of the son.
May thy boundlessness lengthen our days for living, and grant us passage unto the courts of the empyrean heaven.

These holy drops which grant freedom which we have partaken thereof; Closely they knit our sinews as straps secure a vessel.
Let them protect our feet from slipping on the way: yea, let the truth we drink preserve us from all foulness and corruption.
Make us shine brightly like fire produced by flintstone: give us clear sight that we might vanquish darkness and be ourselves made clean.
For in repose we think of thee O ENAARU, that I might partake of the water flowing from thy side and behold eternity."

~ except from the Eternal Hymn of the Aarujao referring to truth

The update is drafted, it just needs editing. Stats and maps are also WIP, but release can and should be expected imminently.

Looking forward to it, ork!

Top Bottom