Optimal City Placement

Ethiopia: Settle Aksum on spot, move second settler to Gondokoro which is on the hill chokepoint next to the Upper (southern) Nile. Later found Muqdisho next to the river in southern Ethiopia.

I move my capital 1E to the coast, and usually wait for Egypt to collapse or be taken by Rome/Greece so I can settle Gallabat in the desert tile that's almost entirely encircled by the Nile. Hits the gold, the cotton, the ivory, and two incense if you can pop the culture hard enough which obviously really helps for the 2nd UHV. A coastal capital means you can culture-flip Sana'a too, so you don't need to bother with a Galley to ferry troops over the Red Sea. Then spread South as usual, although I usually go straight to Mombasa.

I move my capital 1E to the coast, and usually wait for Egypt to collapse or be taken by Rome/Greece so I can settle Gallabat in the desert tile that's almost entirely encircled by the Nile. Hits the gold, the cotton, the ivory, and two incense if you can pop the culture hard enough which obviously really helps for the 2nd UHV. A coastal capital means you can culture-flip Sana'a too, so you don't need to bother with a Galley to ferry troops over the Red Sea. Then spread South as usual, although I usually go straight to Mombasa.

ETHIOPIA

Even better (though EXTREMELY rare) is founding aksum 1N. You lose the southern cow, but you don't waste the eastern cow's food, you get the gold on the nile and a coastal city. The problem is how often this tile is occupied by egypt.

Gallabat is good, the problem is that it's too cramped and it's way too oftenly targeted by pesky barbs. More often than not gallabat ends up as a fort city with small pop. Mogadishu on horse is a better option for 2nd city, and it keeps trade routes with the far east open even after the arabs spawn. Zanzibar is also a pretty good option later, 3 fresh water lakes with harbor means it will grow well compared to food-poor ethiopia.

HRE

Hamburg as capital is REALLY good, though only doable if no vikings are present in denmark. Freiburg on stone is also excellent to secure a land route to italy and to eventually steal france's iron.

SPAIN

Madrid should be built 1S (where rhye originally placed it). Much better resources and more pressure on the moors. If historicity is not important, you might want to settle santiago as capital, it becomes quite the city if you raze portugal and it's coastal.

INCA

Huamanga on stone is a favorite of mine (only way to get that whale later), though machu pichu on gold is also decent. Arica on stone it's a given.

I never play 600 ad. on 3000 south of france is usually spanish culture from Tarragona/Barcelona or is under Roman control. If Rome collapses, no problem. If not (see my eternal Rome thread), then you have no "prodution" city in France, other then Paris with guilded workshops, but those hammers go towards wonders.

The key to a productive mainland France is a collapsed Rome.

This is the difference a 600 CE start makes.

Yes, yes I should raze those cities. I hate doing that though.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 472
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 383
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 402
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 305
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 297
On the other hand it helps keep things interesting if you suck. I collapsed in 1660.

What are the benefits of Saskatoon over Regina spot?
I always settle Regina. If Saskatoon is between the deer and the oil, the city has 3 not workable mountain tiles, while Regina has all the same ressources and no mountains?

Babylon: Khafajah, if you're not going for the UHV, of course.

EDIT:

Phoenicia: Cyprus! How has that not been said.

Korea: Kaesong. 'Nuf said. Much better city.

What do you like about Cyprus exactly, Bair? It only has fish and copper. I always go for Gebal on the hill as Pheonicia, but then I'm not sure bout the Maghreb, since seafood there is so hard to share amongst too many cities. Gadir one to the west is good for Portugal's fish in the BFC and less food competition with Rusadir, but what about the desert area with iron, ivory and crab? If Rusadir is there, that Marrakesh area will not be so good, but founding Iol/Hippo instead will cramp Qart-Hadasht.

When the later civs spawn. That's why Cyprus is great. Plus you got the thing about cities have the same effect as tile improvements.

EDIT: Plus, if there's the Great Cothon in Cyprus, it becomes a production behemoth.

Cyprus: Depends on if you are going for the UHV or not. Going for UHV you finish before later civs, so you need to get at the dye. Hill may or may not be better for it.

Who does anymore? :lol:

From now on when anyone posts cities they say whether for UHV, making your civ as successful as possible, or both.

How about Iran? That's a particularly tricky one, especially when the 600 ad start forces you to choke on Isfahan. I always go for Sirajis and Artacoana south of the grassland hills, so it can encompass the gems and cotton and sheep and horses. Some city that starts with a B two tiles east of Babylon is also nice, in the event I feel like deleting Shush with world builder. It'll get the river tiles, the copper and good production overall without choking Sirajis, and it won't flip to the Arabs.

Personally for England I prefer Southampton (on the Cow); Newcastle; Inverness; & Dublin (by river).

Southampton allows better access to the Atlantic, and you can reach the crab off the SW.

Though obviously less historically accurate.

Top Bottom