1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Orbis Bug Thread (Old)

Discussion in 'Orbis Modmod' started by Ahwaric, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dzhel

Dzhel Chieftain

Getting a repeatable CTD, just end the turn. This is a brand new game I started even though it looks very similar to the previous one I sent you.

I've noticed the Griffons are much more agressive also. Not sure if this is a bad thing yet. I'm trying new stategies as exploring and moving early units is more dangerous but this could be good.

Attached Files:

2. arkham4269

arkham4269 Court Writer - Orbis Mod

Okay I'm getting pretty consistent CtD but not sure why. At first I thought it might be a graphics problem in that the computer I'm playing on (A Vista box unlike my old XP laptop) didn't have the watts to play Civ. Yet I can play a full campaign online of Left 4 Dead and the Civ mod Planetfall pretty well w/o a very infrequent crash. That and I turned the graphics down to low.

I also noticed a few things. After researching Archery, the pop-up had a pink box for the Horse Archer unit and in the Civlopedia, the blasting workshop was the infamous pink blob.

Plus, playing Doviello, I can't work tiles with animal lairs in them in my own territory. I can't seem to find a way get rid of them.

Plus, maybe because there is more of them, but I've noticed of late that when using "Random Leader by Alignment" in a custom game almost is a certainty that all you get is minor leaders. Is this intentional?

3. AgentTBC

AgentTBC Chieftain

I haven't posted a file before so I'll try a savegame. I don't know if this will be helpful, but this is the save from turn 45 in what should be an awesome starting position, except that a big group of strength 8/11 minotaurs just showed up and are about to stomp my adventurer/scout, move up to my cities, and crush them like bugs.

There are a couple of griffins present: one is about to get killed attacking my warrior who has been sitting there minding his own business for quite a while.

Attached Files:

4. Greeney

Greeney Chieftain

Hey. This is my second game with Orbis, so I'm not really sure if these are bugs.

I'm on patch 0.23, playing as Doviello.

Apart from the huge animal invasion (Griffons everywhere) that has been already mentioned (kudos to Agent for his bug reports, they made me laugh out loud), the main problem was the wraith invasion, and the barbarian stacks of earth elementals and chaos marauders. At least animals don't go raze your cities. I see this has been adressed already on patch 0.23a, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. I'll try the new patch soon.

There's an area between my borders and the Ljosalfar's with two bear dens, a tiger lair and a lion den. Anytime I subdue an animal, a Ljosalfar scout appears out of nowhere (they're very close to that area) and kills it. Is that intended? It's like the Ljosalfar are actually attacking me! Well, it also happens with the animals. I subdue a bear, and another bear kills it. It looks like I AM at peace with the animal nation and the Ljosalfar, but the animals I get aren't.

I'm even afraid of opening my borders to the Ljosalfar, as they might kill all the captured animals on their way to my cities.

Something funny happened. Orthus was next to my city, planning to attack me, when a troll came and killed him (I think it was a troll, but I'm not 100% sure). The troll grabbed Orthus' Axe. Now, the Axe has the "animal tag", so I can't take it. I guess it is because I'm at peace with the animal nation, but it is a bit strange, as I did kill the troll that got the Axe.

Attached Files:

5. sputnik323

sputnik323 Magelord

That is a very strange coincidence or it is a bug because in my game I saw Orthus spawn, he had full health and a troll killed him. ... So naturally I killed the troll and had a shiny new axe :)

6. Greeney

Greeney Chieftain

But I guess you weren't Doviello. I think the problem is that, as I am at peace with the animal nation, I can't pick up an the axe because of its "animal" tag. Ahwaric will know better. He can easily find the axe untouched beside my capital on the save file.

At the same time, it's strange that the axe got the "animal" tag, as trolls don't count as animals to me: I can attack them normally, without challenging them. Maybe it wasn't a troll who got the axe, but some other unit from the animal nation (I really don't remember exactly).

7. AgentTBC

AgentTBC Chieftain

Have you checked if they have the hidden nationality flag? Subdued animals in Orbis used to start with hidden nationality; not sure if they do in 023 as I've been trying a bit of Fall Further until the crazy monster barbarian spawns get patched a little.

If you subdue them and they are hidden nationality the other civs will usually kill 'em unless you turn it off before your turn ends.

8. Greeney

Greeney Chieftain

No, they aren't hidden nationality. But maybe the game gives them that effect without showing the flag on the unit's details.

9. rief_s

rief_s Chieftain

Found bugs on Sacrifice the Weak. Apparently Orbis have adopt FF fractal food consumption per population for Civic. So food consumption need to be set to 200 to make it work. With current setting, Sacrifice the Weak doesn't need food per population :eek:. But I don't know how to fix Civic pedia :p, it still show +12424 or something.

10. Ahwaric

Ahwaric Shrubbery-hugger

Thanks for kind words. I do not want to scare Orbis users by all this stuff, but it requires a lot of tweaking to make the barbs right :(
    I want to keep the multifactions for both flavour and customization possibilities

Was it divided soul (= hunter) or the severed soul? If the latter, it is possible. But I will probably change the spawn from promotion to actuall equipment on the ground anyway.
    Seems that you have installed on top of old FfH version - basic 0.41 stuff
    I have to manually disable possible spawns. When I added guildmasters long ago I had an invasion of barbarian guildmasters. And now it is even worse. I had an orc angel when I thought it is ok and ready to post. So if you spot anything that is not right for the civ, please post it.
    I will check the goodies. But I need to take care of the animal problem first...
    It works as intended (well, side effect but not a bug). Illian assassins, workers and forest stealth are always invisible if are at the right terrain/feature - it is not easy to fight Illians in the snow. But you can counter it by revelation spell or perfect sigth promotion
    Massive python errors are the problem - could not update list of build options. I have disabled illian cottage on any snow tile building as it sometimes caused it... No idea why, could not find any bug so I had to remove it.
    Ai is allowed to explore any lair/unique feature player can and gets the same possible results.
    Any special promotions on the bear?
    Tigers, griffins and trolls spawn fine for me.
    Not sure what is the cause - no change to their AI I think...
    I have found the bug - caused by amurite battering ram that got attached to a swordsman. This kind of bugs is caused by battering ram/totem adding. I think I will remove battering ram unit and just do everything via promotion. Totems will probably use leader mechanics, but need to test it.
    Fixed save below. I hope I did not mess it. Simple changing the AI type of the battering ram corrects the game.
    I did not get CtD.
    Thanks for reminding me of the lairs - I need to find some way of removing/using them.
    I want to disable random picking of minor leaders (maybe an option?)
    Minotaurs will need iron working, so will spawn only late in game. I want to see them morer in game, but not that early.
    Trolls used to be animals, but they have hidden nationality, so appeared as barbarians. Now they are barbarians but still hidden nationality.

Thanks, will try to make it work.

Attached Files:

11. xalien

xalien Chieftain

He wasn't in the snow, he wandered all the way into my territory and had to spend at least few turns away from snow terrain.

Another thing on assassins - they target birds. Shouldn't they go only for combat units?

12. Dzhel

Dzhel Chieftain

Thanks for fixing that CTD in my game Ahwaric. Much appreciated.

In that same game is where I noticed the strange spawns. I took the save you fixed and added a sign over each one to help you spot them easier. The Troll on Tiger Lair is just south of my empire and the Griffon on Troll Cave is on my western border.

I was wondering with the new changes if a wandering troll had maybe killed the tiger and taken over? Maybe same with griffon, killed the troll and took over? Just a theory if they're spawning correctly.

As for the bear, he didn't have winterborn or any upgrades at all. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. I wouldn't spend time on this one unless I see it again. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Attached Files:

13. Ahwaric

Ahwaric Shrubbery-hugger

In Orbis 0.23a troll can't kill griffon or tiger as these all belong to animal civ. Trolls have hidden nationality and it makes them appear as default barbarian - orcs.

In 0.23b trolls are barbarians.

Troll defends tiger and griffon lairs as all animals guard all animal lairs - troll came and tiger went for a walk I think. Trolls will share defense with orcs, hill giants & lizardmen in 0.23b.

@xalien
    I will look into the problem as soon as I will get rid of my girlfriend from our better computer with both Civ IV and King's Bounty installed ;)

14. Zakmuk

Zakmuk Chieftain

Hello, I have just started to play Orbis 0.23a and I like it but I am getting two CTD :

In crash, it happens at the end of the turn.
    In crash2, I experienced goody hut loot CTD (the one next to the warrior).

Attached Files:

15. AgentTBC

AgentTBC Chieftain

Minotaurs will need iron working, so will spawn only late in game. I want to see them morer in game, but not that early.

Makes sense to me: I don't mind strong barb spawns, it's just the timing that is a big problem. No way anyone can handle a stack of strength 11 units at turn 45! Requiring iron working should delay it long enough to make it manageable.

16. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

makes sense to me too...

17. arkham4269

arkham4269 Court Writer - Orbis Mod

Maybe it's just me but the Demonic Horde seems to be way to strong. About turn 75 or so I got hit with 4 goblins. Not a problem, they came across a river into tundra at a Illian warrior. However, 2 turns later I got hit with 4 hill giants. More of a problem but they attacked across a river into tundra into a city with hunters and warriors with a palisade. Then 2 turns after that, 4 Iras (Ilas?) showed up and killed 3 hunters & 5 warriors in my 2nd city without a lost and in doing so killing 80% of my combat force and then proceeded to wipe out my 3rd city in a turn and my capitol 2 turns later. Even the few javilineers I built didn't do any good. I even backed the game up and tried to attack them after the initial attack and none of the attacks by 3 warriors didn't even dent a Ira.

I backed the game up again, and surrounded them with Ice Elementals via the Worldbuilder; they all died with almost no damaged to the Iras. So I then surrounded them again with Minotaurs and they still took a beating before being killed.

Sorry, but that is just way to powerful that early in the game. I mean it's not worth playing with that turned on because you're going to have to do almost nothing but build combat units and defenses if 4 Ilas are going to follow 4 hill giants in the span of 4 turns. I was 'lucky' they came at my toughest city first.

18. mortcalavin

mortcalavin Chieftain

I've been getting a CtD whenever I attempt to access world builder or receive a world map. Sometimes. Some games I can do it with no trouble. In "trouble" games, the only time I can access world builder is on the first turn, before any cities are built, which made me think that it had something to do with a certain civ's city graphics rendering. On a "trouble" game, I succeeded in purchasing a ljosalfar world map that showed only the ljosalfar territory and no foreign cities.
    So finally I got to thinking, out of process of elimination (checking what civs were on games that didn't have problems) and gut feeling that the luchuirp have something to do with it, and specifically their palace. I saw on here that you put up a fix for something about the luchuirp palace so I downloaded and installed and followed the instructions. Didn't work. Help?

19. AgentTBC

AgentTBC Chieftain

I caved and started another Orbis 0.23a game, this time as the Lanun. A stack of five barbarian Iras showed up on turn 50. I'm toast. So, yeah.

20. PapaMonkey

PapaMonkey Chieftain

I can note that I am also having a problem with my workers. I can not select the icon with the mouse, but can use the hot-key to select the task.

Also I am not getting the traditional CTD, but rather the game locks up and stops responding. It has happened in two games in a row (23a). The first time I was in maybe 100 turns. The second game it happens on turn 37. I've attached the save. I think. Not very experienced with attaching files...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.