Orbis Bug Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a logical explanation why it does require the wheel.

animals where mainly used to pull cart's wich had indeed, wheels :p
it was only after that, that our ancestors had the briljant idea of horseback riding. so in fact following earthen history, the wheel should be a required tech for horseback riding
That is right. Horses at first were too small to carry people for longer time. Only after bigger ones were bred people abandoned bulky chariots and started using mobile horsemen.
That is why chariots are crappy in orbis (but still better than warriors - they served well during indoeuropean conquest of europe, iran and india...)

Ok, ok, fine.

I never use Chariots... Somehow, they don't seem useful to me... Are they?
(But maybe this is because I usually don't wage early war)

on that one i agree, i never use horsemen, with the exception of the very late game national units.

they might be usefull at some point, but most of the time i do not see the point in making them

I run Orbis 24h and with a large map and barbarian world turn 1 needs nearly a minute to proceed (4GB RAM, Centrino Duo).

edit: when I edited the file abqaiq93 mentions in the next post, it decreased from 52 seconds to 39 seconds - but still it's a bit long for the first turn.

Any luck on getting this to run faster? My favourite option too.

This file is here: \Orbis\Assets\python\UnitStatisticsUtils\UnitStatisticsDefines.py

And by settting this flag (Line 112) : g_bTrackAllPlayers = False

Did not make the turns go by any faster. So at least on my computer this change did not help.

But I am leaving this as false, as it might help with late game slowdown, but the first 15 turns of test game were still really slow with barbarian cities active at the start.

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously but.... Svartalfar Illusionists that get promoted to archmage seem to have a sex change along the way. :eek:

I'm honestly not that fond of the model used for the Svart archmage anyway but going from elfy to old human guy is a bit disconcerting. :D It switches to the archmage model of the blue robed old wizardly looking guy.

EDIT: Right, might help to mention the version I'm on wouldn't it? Patch H. :)

Generally I'm okay with using Earth history to flesh out Erebus... However, wouldn't large horses have been bred before the AoI? No reason mounted units couldn't come before the wheel if so.
They all got eaten. Or needed too much food. Got sick and died...
But seriously, the whole tech development in FfH has the same problem - they knew how to write, did they not? And I guess that is easy to teach your children in spare time, when there is blizzard out of the cave.
But we want tech development, so it works like we are starting a new history...
Apologies if this has been mentioned previously but.... Svartalfar Illusionists that get promoted to archmage seem to have a sex change along the way. :eek:
Do I mind sex change? No.
Look at elohim, they do it sometimes. All civs do during upgrades.
Do I mind racial changes? Yes. I try to get rid of these.
Do I mind non fitting art? Yes

So, I would like to change it. But I do not know of any I can use. If there is one in FfH/FF, then I forgot to change. Will take a look then.

hmm, last time i played svarts was with 24d but back then their archmages DID have a unique graphic, not the standard blue robed guy. not one i m very fond of (their adepts/illusionists look way better) but it was unique and no sex change involved.

however, as already posted somewhere before, i wish someone could do a adept/mage/archmage graphics revamp.

doviello have cool looking adepts/mages but their archmage is the placeholder (blue robed guy) that doesnt fit doviello at all.

balseraph have a cool looking adept but their mage/archmage is the placeholder that doesnt fit doviello at all.

in both cases (and theres probably more civs who have this problem) it d be much better if the adept model was used for archmages too, HOWEVER with a slight differentation so you can tell apart an adept from an archmage. see the mazatl for example - the only difference between their adepts and (archmages) is how big their staff is. (bigger IS better afterall :lol: ) not the ideal solution but certainly better than having a blue robed human as their top caster ...

would also be nice for svarts as their adepts/mages look much better than their archmage.

wish i could do it myself but i have zero moddelling experience....

completely different topic:

the immortal change planned for patch I rocks HOWEVER i d suggest taking it one step further: how about archmages also being able to become immortals ?

in tradeoff i d suggest "nerfing" lichdom. basically the new lichdom would no longer create a new unit but instead merely make the old archmage
have changed stats , changed art etc. but it d still be an archmage and thus count towards the limit of 4.

Death is already one of the most powerfull spell spheres there is in FFH and lichdom makes it pretty much mandatory for anyone interested in a magic-heavy game.

If you could get your extra 4 archmages from immortals instead ( mind you thats alot of extra research required) that d be more fair for civs that want to play magic heavy but without focusing on death.

and for those who love death its means they could have 8 liches, 4 normal ones and 4 immortal ones.

every side wins in this one i think, especially the "flavour" side.

EDIT: just incase , what i mean with nerfing lichdom is changing it into a promotion

this promotion changes race to undead, changes graphic to lich-model, gives the caster + 2 unholy STR (or whatever lichs have above archmages right now, i dont remember for sure) but the caster remains an archmage still and thus counts to the national limit of 4.

archmages would however now be able to upgrade to immortals and since they obviously keep their promotions you could then have also immortal-liches (str 9 + 2 unholy ) if you desire so.

so no matter whether you have Death III, if divine essense and strenght of will are researched, you would now be able to have 8 "tier3 casters".

Modders:
Added traits sheet in the editor
Nice :)

But it looks like this patch will be annoying to merge :lol: I'm (nearly) finished with my re-assignment of traits and all things concerning traits... like removing any duplicate trait-combo and rebalancing the frequency of each trait. Would you be interested? I guess you would want to wait till I release my new patch for LENA to see them, though.

Nice :)

But it looks like this patch will be annoying to merge :lol:
Well, yes ;). Technologies and traits files got cut into pieces and then assembled again.
But you know that by now, I have sent you a sample ;)

I'm (nearly) finished with my re-assignment of traits and all things concerning traits... like removing any duplicate trait-combo and rebalancing the frequency of each trait. Would you be interested? I guess you would want to wait till I release my new patch for LENA to see them, though.
I am interested. And I am fine with getting these before everyone else does. Especially if you tweaked the rest of leaders personalities, but even if not.

/end internal team talk

Look people, is this a hedgehog over there? :mischief:
:ninja:

Generally I'm okay with using Earth history to flesh out Erebus... However, wouldn't large horses have been bred before the AoI? No reason mounted units couldn't come before the wheel if so.

Yes, the ancestors of the Hippus had actually mastered animal husbandry during the Age of Dragons, and already rode majestic steeds before Kylorin finished uniting Mankind into the Empire of Patria. From the Bestiary we know that the majestic stallions of the Cerici (which were used to make the first Centaurs) were especially noteworthy for both their strength and their docility.

(I'm not sure, but the Cerici may be the proper name of the Pre-Patrian- or Patrian-Civil-War-Era nation from whom the Hippus claim decent. I prefer to think that the Hippus are actually a new nation, not actually united until the time of Rhoanna and Tasunke. Before that, individual Hippi (this seems to be the Hippus word for tribe) would not be that closely related to each other, but would have come to speak similar dialects and have similar animal husbandry-based cultures. (While foreigners and those looking to hire them as mercenaries best know them for their horses and horsemanship, their livestock was until very recently more important to their survival. I suspect that many of their internal conflicts stem from disagreements between Hippi that depend more on Sheep and those that depend more on Cows, which like in the real world are based on how their different grazing habits means one animal can ruin a pasture for the other.)

The pedia refers to the Hippus back in the Age of Magic, but similarly the Age of Ice pedia refers to the Luchuirp when it cleaely should say The Empire of Kradh-Ke-zun. Ok, so technically the Luchuirp already existed, but they were just one of the many Open-Skier Clans that made up the empire, and it is extremely unlikely that they alone stood up to Mulcarn. I'd be more inclined to think they survived because they lived furthest from what would become Latum Frigus, and who ran away and hid in cowardice rather than join the valiant last stand of their brethren. I suppose it is also possible that the Hippus were but one group of the Cerici, or that the Cerici-Hippi were but one noteworthy tribe.)

The population of such beasts may however have been decimated by the Patrian Civil War and the Age of Ice. I suspect that the greatest horses went feral, becoming herds of Hyapon, and Man may have had to breed new bloodlines from lesser pack animals. I suspect that the mounted superiority of the Hippus of the Age of Rebirth comes largely from their successful taming the Hyapon, but they may have had to dilute these bloodlines with more common horses to have enough mounts or mounts that wouldn't kill most of their riders.

completely different topic:

the immortal change planned for patch I rocks HOWEVER i d suggest taking it one step further: how about archmages also being able to become immortals ?

in tradeoff i d suggest "nerfing" lichdom. basically the new lichdom would no longer create a new unit but instead merely make the old archmage
have changed stats , changed art etc. but it d still be an archmage and thus count towards the limit of 4.

Death is already one of the most powerfull spell spheres there is in FFH and lichdom makes it pretty much mandatory for anyone interested in a magic-heavy game.

If you could get your extra 4 archmages from immortals instead ( mind you thats alot of extra research required) that d be more fair for civs that want to play magic heavy but without focusing on death.

and for those who love death its means they could have 8 liches, 4 normal ones and 4 immortal ones.

every side wins in this one i think, especially the "flavour" side.

EDIT: just incase , what i mean with nerfing lichdom is changing it into a promotion

this promotion changes race to undead, changes graphic to lich-model, gives the caster + 2 unholy STR (or whatever lichs have above archmages right now, i dont remember for sure) but the caster remains an archmage still and thus counts to the national limit of 4.

archmages would however now be able to upgrade to immortals and since they obviously keep their promotions you could then have also immortal-liches (str 9 + 2 unholy ) if you desire so.

so no matter whether you have Death III, if divine essense and strenght of will are researched, you would now be able to have 8 "tier3 casters".

I prefer my way.

In my version, Liches are inherently immortal (just like the Immortal unit), but have the same unitclass as archmages. The limits on how many units you can have goes by unitclass, so Liches do not let you bypass the limit. I also give Liches +1 Death Affinity, but only allow Lichdom to be cast in a city with the Tower of Necromancy.

Also, I let the Wizard UU upgrade to either an Archmage or an Immortal, giving the Amurites a special advantage other civ's don't have. It is not so strong as letting Archmages upgrade to immortals as they don't have channeling III, but immortal mages are still pretty useful.

You may note that the Sheaim have NONE as their Immortal UU. I don't change this, but instead make Consume Soul grant the caster the Immortal promotion in addition to making it able to cast again. This is potentially stronger, as an Eater of Dreams can die and then regain Immortality many times instead of dieing permanently if killed twice in one turn. I've also considered giving them +1 affinity for Dimensional Mana.

The Mercurians are not working. I first noticed it when I was playing lord of balors, I was getting no angels. To test I tried playing a normal game, the first thing I did when I took control of Basium was build a bunch of axemen and send them to their doom, not a single one was reborn a angel.

*edit*
haha, I apologize I just saw the "No Angels for Mercurians"thread. But the issue was still not addressed.

Also the lord of balors quest just needs to be looked at in general. there is supposed to be fallout all over the place but there is swamps instead. I tried adding fallout myself but it just dissipated after a few turns.

Hello all. Sorry if this has been asked before - at 56 pages, this thread is too long to peruse, but I have a bug: Just installed latest Orbis patch H, FF2 .41 has patch G and every time I try to start as Elohim, I cannot see my scout unit. It is invisible but otherwise behaves normally. This did not happen before I upgraded to Orbis patch H. What can I do to fix this? Thanks.

Guardian of Pristin Pass really needs to go. The gargoyles completely breaks the AI's brain unless they are at peace with animals. The gargoyles also claim keeps. It's a completely unfun and useless feature.

Speaking of the Pass.... I actually had a plan for that. :lol: It hinges on adding a 'leash' mechanic for barbarians, but I believe RoD already has that. :goodjob:

I could see it being an epic fort... The thing usually pops up in a pass anyway, would be useful. How about this:
Each Guardian spawns with a different item fragment. If you can collect all three fragments, you can combine them into a decent armour, as well as allowing any unit carrying it to claim the Pristinus Pass, receiving a Gargoyle Commander and making the Pass into an uber fort.

Edit: Actually, how about a trade off... Each item individually is decent, but the combined item is only as strong as the others. Only plus is you can claim. So three decent items, or one decent and an amazing fort.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom