Organizer of the Gaza flotilla admitted they started the violence

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I don't see this making global headlines, somehow:

"A leading pro-Palestinian campaigner involved in the flotilla that attempted to enter Gaza in May 2010 has appeared to corroborate Israel’s version of the events which led to the bloody confrontation on board the Mavi Marmara.

Ten Turkish activists died after IDF commandos boarded the ship — the largest in the six-vessel convoy — as it sailed towards the Hamas-ruled coastal enclave in defiance of an Israeli security blockade designed to prevent the terror group importing weapons.

In newly revealed posts from a secret British Facebook group, Greta Berlin, the co-founder and spokesperson of the Free Gaza Movement, states that the Israeli troops did not open fire until after Ken O’Keefe, a former US marine aboard the Mavi Marmara, had seized a gun from one of them.

During a heated online debate, in the safety of a Facebook group of pro-Palestinian activists who had all been approved or invited to join, Berlin repeatedly challenged comments from other members praising O’Keefe.

Greta Berlin, spokesperson and co-founder for Free Gaza Movement. (Engelo, CC-BY-SA, via wikipedia)
“He was responsible for some of the deaths on board the Mavi Marmara. Had he not disarmed an Israeli terrorist soldier, they would not have started to fire. That’s enough. Most of you have no idea what you’re talking about,” she wrote.

Berlin’s comments, posted in 2014, were made on the Palestine Live group.

Last week, a report by researcher and blogger David Collier uncovered a raft of anti-Semitic and anti-Israel material on the site, whose members once included the leader of Britain’s Labour party, Jeremy Corbyn.

But Collier’s examination of the Facebook group also seems to throw new light on the events which unfolded in international waters off of the Gazan coast nearly eight years ago, which provoked a fierce diplomatic spat between Turkey and Israel and the severing of ties by Ankara."

This is from the Times of Israel. Original source here.

In newly revealed posts from a secret British Facebook group,

Sounds highly respectable. Is this about a story from four years ago (or is it 8? 2010?), and with new stuff found on a secret facebook group? And you are wondering why it doesn't make the headlines outside where it is expected to?

A better - imo - question would be why it is making headlines even in Israel? (assuming it does).

Last week, a report by researcher and blogger David Collier uncovered a raft of anti-Semitic and anti-Israel material on the site, whose members once included the leader of Britain’s Labour party, Jeremy Corbyn.

Ehm... Corbyn is a soviet jew-hating spy. No news here.

Sounds highly respectable. Is this about a story from four years ago (or is it 8? 2010?), and with new stuff found on a secret facebook group?

No, it's a recent story. The comments were made in 2014, but are inside a private Facebook group.

A better - imo - question would be why it is making headlines even in Israel? (assuming it does).

The flotilla - and the IDF's actions upon it - made plenty of headlines.

No, it's a recent story. The comments were made in 2014, but are inside a private Facebook group.

The flotilla - and Israel's actions upon it - made plenty of headlines.

Yes, they did, 8 years ago apparently. Why would countries not tied to this bother with reporting it?

Re the conclusion, maybe it can help warm relations with Gray Wolves Turkey; though i wouldn't expect record sales of mein kampf there falling anytime soon.

I don't see this making global headlines, somehow:
"Somehow"? Well I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in USMurica, we're running "Here Comes Real Celebrity Trump Survivor Apprentice Dynasty: Washington/Mar-A-Lago"... all day, every day. There's literally no time for anything else with a new contestant getting voted off the island every couple hours...

So there's you're "somehow" as it relates to other world events... Interesting allegation about Jeremy Corbyn though... I wasn't curious enough to click the link, but I am still curious about the source.

EDIT: NVM... just noticed this...
I remember the original news story (with the conflicting versions of what happened)....and the 51 page thread here on CFC.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/israel-navy-opens-fire-on-gaza-aid-flotilla.366428/
I guess I'll go take a look... maybe threads should be combined.

Last edited:
Yes, they did, 8 years ago apparently. Why would countries not tied to this bother with reporting it?

Every news organization in the world reported on it extensively. You'd think they would care if some more light was shed on it.

I remember the original news story (with the conflicting versions of what happened)....and the 51 page thread here on CFC.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/israel-navy-opens-fire-on-gaza-aid-flotilla.366428/

I did consider posting it there, but it says 'not open for further replies.'

So there's you're "somehow" as it relates to other world events... Interesting allegation about Jeremy Corbyn though... I wasn't curious enough to click the link, but I am still curious about the source.

Which I gave.

1) Who boarded whose ship?
2) Who brought the guns?
3) Who fired the first shot?

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Who tried to violate whose blockade?

2) Who brought the guns?

So if the police shoot somebody for any reason, by definition it's their fault because they brought guns?

Who grabbed a weapon from a soldier's hands?

2) Who brought the guns?

Nothing to see here. Move along.
"Our flimsy non-excuse for slaughtering a bunch of civilians has been maybe kinda-sorta vindicated, so we are blameless."

I mean, yeah, this is basically my opinion

Okay, then I'm directing this at the vast majority of people who don't share that opinion.

"Our flimsy non-excuse for slaughtering a bunch of civilians has been maybe kinda-sorta vindicated, so we are blameless."

It's just exactly what Israel's side of the story was, the whole time.

Last edited:
It's just exactly what Israel's side of the story was, the whole time.
If a man justifies an assault on the grounds "he looked at me funny", the trial does not hinge on whether the victim did in fact look at him funny.

To make the analogy more accurate, the majority of civilized opinion would agree that looking at someone funny justifies assault (i.e. grabbing a soldier's gun should get you shot).

EDIT: From a year in the future. Don't remember what I was trying to say with that phrasing ^, but it doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to make myself clearer, so let's just agree to disagree on what analogies are. :)

Who grabbed a weapon from a soldier's hands?

Everyone must meekely submit to the israeli pirates. And if they don't they must be shot.

Yes, that's the reality the palestinians have been living under ever since the israeli pirates annexed their land. Thanks for admitting it.

Every news organization in the world reported on it extensively. You'd think they would care if some more light was shed on it.

Nah, shedding light does not bring enough attention. The media cycle usually starts with an outrageous claim on the front page and ends with a two line retraction quickly relegated to the archive page. And that is the best case where they even bother with a retraction.

I'm not sure how to make myself clearer, so let's just agree to disagree on what analogies are. :)
It's not a question of clarity. The Israeli version of events, even if taken to be entirely and unambiguously true, is a feeble justification for a massacre. If a similar defence was offered by the Chinese or Russians, it would be rejected as such. It's nothing more than a fig-leaf. The real defence is "We can do what we want, try and stop us". That's the only defence the IDF has ever seriously offered for its actions, why should we expect this incident to be any different?

Top Bottom