1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Reorganization - Vote now.

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ori, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Should this proposal be implemented?

Poll closed Nov 19, 2013.
  1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Don't know / don't care

13 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

There once was a poster, a bit obtuse
    Wondering if this reorganisation is a ruse
    The beard was a fake
    Purple glasses, a mistake
    He just wants a little bit of news

2. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

We are currently toying with the idea of a prefix other than [RD], seeing as it's unclear to all but regulars what that actually means. Having [SM] threads would be much clearer for new members, for example (for 'stricter moderation', of course).

Any suggestions?

3. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

"SM" like...um...you know...
    -> might not be the very best idea.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Are there many people besides regulars who post in Red Diamond threads? If not, I don't see a problem. If so, that's what the FAQ is for. I assume you (plural) will be writing a new OT-specific FAQ post when you've got this all decided?

5. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

We would like something a bit more intuitive. Perhaps to attract new posters.

6. AvalancheMaster

AvalancheMaster Not the face of mercy.

It's not a question of "only frequents will start RD threads". Currently only frequents visit the Chamber, as they are afraid of not knowing the community standards (and if it wasn't for the fact that I've been around for 3 years under different alias, I'd be as well). Merging Chambers and Tavern will result in non-regulars popping up in threads with unrelated posts without realizing that it is under stricter moderation. Currently there's a clear guideline on the Chambers, after the proposed merge, there won't be such a guideline.

7. illram

illram Deity

That's a good point. We do try to be cognizant of this, i.e. someone new or not a regular in OT (we know the regulars) who might make a trollish or spammy post in an RD thread will probably get a polite warning PM, as opposed to someone who should know better. But we don't want folks to be intimidated or anything... we want more people coming in and sharing in the conversation.

8. Ziggy Stardust

Thanks for the update :hatsoff:

9. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

How about having a standard disclaimer posted at the top of each RD thread? With your mod tags. Anyone who starts the thread from the start will see that (hopefully). Others who are new to OT could get 1 free informational heads up.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Not a bad idea, but I don't know if or how it would be implemented.

11. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

could not be automatic - so we would need to add it manually for each thread - and then I doubt it would do anything past page 1 as people do jump into threads without much regard for the OP at times...

12. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Just have whichever mod sees the thread first edit it into the first post.

13. Ziggy Stardust

It's pretty clear which posters are new and not familiar with the RD threads. When someone steps over the line, you inform and warn the poster and deal with any further transgressions.

Look, it almost seems as if you want to devise a system which is capable of handling all situations that are thrown at it. Which is impossible. Most of these situations can be easily dealt with using pragmatism.

Are the rules that are in place capable of the goal you've set for the merger and RD threads? Are there not instances where double standards are at work? That's simply what happens when you introduce the human element into the system. And a forum has a particular large human element. So my advise, stop planning, stop trying to envisage the perfect system. We don't have it now, I have been (in my own view of course) shafted by moderation which I deemed unfair a couple of times, and I'm still around because I realise this isn't an exact science. I realise mods have to deal with people who have become quite crafty at being a plonker while staying within the rules.

14. Valka D'Ur

And we have the common-sense winning idea!

Honestly, guys - just apply the same rules to the RD threads as you do with the serial threads. They all have standard OP formats that have to be followed (rules, links to previous threads, whatever). Hopefully the OP will remember to do it, but if not, the OT mods can do it.

15. Birdjaguar

Not to oversell this change, but this came to mind tonight....

Link to video.

Certainly, it won't be Natalie Wood. Now, any mention of West Side Story must reference the following:

Spoiler :

16. Valka D'Ur

I assume the above post has a point somewhere that's related to Red Diamond threads? :rolleyes:

Of course, if people here had to sing their posts instead of typing them, the board would be a lot less busy...

17. Birdjaguar

The song title..."Something's Coming" :rolleyes:

This was asked in staff today:

18. AvalancheMaster

AvalancheMaster Not the face of mercy.

My suggestion - give a "formal" notice that the merge will take place in the beginning of January. A new years is the best time for a new start.

19. Birdjaguar

Well, we could have the "Grand Opening" set for January 1, but I would want a "soft opening" to test it out sooner. That way we could all sleep late New Year's Day and not have to get up early and do a bunch of work. Kinda get the kinks out before we "officially" let you use it. ;)

20. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab