Other seeing AI building only villages?

tlaurila

Warlord
It seems to me that by VEM upping the gold yields of villages, the AI has now decided that he only wants to build villages. You can see this in worker tooltips, too, where the AI recommeds you build a village pretty much all the time everywhere. This becomes even worse during a golden age, where the worker AI doesn't seem to realize the extra gold is temporary. Is this just me, or are others conquering lands of nothing but villages?

The AI seems to be seriously stunting some of its cities this way, particularly those not on the shore, because they get no food. Production I suppose is just as well, since you can also buy stuff with gold. Most AIs seems to already be awash with more gold than they can figure where to stick it, though.

Probably you don't have access to mod worker AI decisions? I think it was a good thing to re-balance villages, they were too weak. But meanwhile, the AI is busy doing ridiculous things because the decision-making algorithm can't figure what to do with the re-balance. Until you can get acces to worker AI, I think altering villages should be taken to consideration.

If villages as they are turn AI to stupid, especially hurting AI performance in the late game as their cities can't grow much without food, then their existense actually takes more away from the game than they give, and the game would be better off without them at all. While I'm not advocating their removal, perhaps something drastic is needed, for example making villages give some food or hammers, and less money, to prevent the AI from shooting itself in the leg.

Hi tlaurila
I've done a debug/reveal of my continents/huge/epic on VEM to check what the AI's are building. In the medieval I cannot see any evidence of what you are talking about except perhaps in the city states which do have villages (but this was even before VEM). In the normal civs they are building as per normal as far as I can tell. Perhaps you are noticing something in the later era's but I don't see where the issue could be.

Cheers

We only can alter global yield priorities. I adjusted things so they seem to build all 3 major improvements (food, gold, production). It'd be nice to code the AI to build a smart balance of improvements around each individual city, but that would require the game core only Firaxis has access to.

Well, the worst offender that I first observed was Siamese. Maybe they have higher gold focus to bribe all those CSs t take advantage of their UA. And double whammied it by taking the Merchant policy to increase village yields. My couple latter observations to "verify" this could then be expectation bias on my part.

If you've changed the global weights on gold/food/production to match the changes you've made to yield, then it all should be well, shouldn't it? Or well, as well or better as it was in vanilla, and what the game allows.

That said, too few gold improvements rarely hurt the AI, who seem to have plenty enough anyway, whereas too many might as it creates a global good at expense of what the city really needs locally. So safe bet should be on side of less gold focus for the AI.

Top Bottom