Palin stepping down this month as Governor of Alaska

woody60707

Deity
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gov. Sarah Palin announced Friday that she will step down as Alaska's chief executive by the end of the month. She will not seek election to a second gubernatorial term in 2010.
Palin, a Republican, was elected governor in 2006. She was tapped as Arizona Sen. John McCain's vice presidential running mate last year.

Palin said she was transferring authority to Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will be sworn in at the Governor's Picnic on July 25.

"She thinks she has accomplished goals she has set forward," a source, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said. "She sees what a positive influence she has had on people's lives from traveling the country in the last year."

As the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee, Palin has been considered one of the front-runners for the GOP nomination in 2012. Her decision not to seek another term as governor is sure to stoke speculation that Palin is seriously eyeing a run for the White House.

In an interview last month with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Palin said she was unsure about her re-election bid because she needed to focus on her state and her family.

"So, no decision yet on either 2010 or let alone 2012?" Blitzer asked.

"No decision that I'd want to announce today," Palin responded.

Palin catapulted on the national stage last August when McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, chose her as his running mate.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/03/palin/index.html

The hell? Why, and leaders of the Repub party are dropping like flies lol

Wait, what?

YOU!!!

Sarah Palin has no chance in '12. I hope this is the last we hear of her.

He got beat to it by a mere 2 minutes

:lol:

merged! d'oh

YOU!!!

Sarah Palin has no chance in '12. I hope this is the last we hear of her.

2mins lol

And yea, this seems like this really hurts any shot at 12 (which was none to begin with), so that whole getting ready for 2012 just doesn't wash with me... Unless something can explain in a different way.

Dude, you wanted to be VP of a super power, and you can't even finish a term as a Gov. of Alaska. pfff

At first I just thought this was another publicity stunt.
The timing would be horrible for that though, the Friday before independence day?
Sounds like she's calling it quits to politics altogether.
Good riddance.

something scandalous going to be annonuced?

This is ******ed. She thinks she will run on 2 years of experience of being governor of a tiny state? Yeah right. I think the alternative universe has found Sanford's running mate!

Maybe she'll use the time to give sex ed to her children.

Here's Politico's take on it.

Palin announces resignation

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin announced Friday that she was resigning her office later this month, a stunning decision that could free her to run for president more easily but also raises questions about her political standing at home.

Palin disclosed the surprise news Friday afternoon from her home in Wasilla with her husband, Todd, and Lt. Governor Sean Parnell, who the governor said would take over the state on Saturday, July 25th.

By not running for re-election, Palin liberates herself from the political constraints that come with running for president while still in elected office.

Leaving office at the end of the month, the former vice presidential hopeful will be able to travel the country more freely without facing the sort of repeated ethics inquiries she’s been fending off since returning to Alaska earlier this year.

In making her announcement, Palin spoke directly to those inquiries, saying she wouldn’t stand by as taxpayer money was spent to investigate her.

Speaking outside of her home with Lake Lucille in the background, Palin derided the “superficial political bloodsport” that has been aimed at her since rocketing into fame last summer.

And, in remarks that appeared to be off the cuff, Palin also recalled her days as a high school basketball point guard, arguing that she was advancing her state by stepping down.

“I know when it’s time to pass the ball for victory,” Palin said.

But Palin also hinted at her own national ambitions, invoking a quote that she credited to Gen. Douglas MacArthur: “We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction.”

Palin has been dogged by a series of ethical complaints, many of which her allies consider as frivolous, and has had to set up a legal defense fund to pay her bills.

Just this week, the Anchorage Daily News reported that these complaints against her administration had reached almost $300,000, much of that sum owing to the so-called “Troopergate” probe of Palin.

Beyond ethical questions, Palin has continued to face other difficulties since her return to Alaska.

Legislators of both parties have complained about some of her time away from the state capitol and Palin has had to grapple with a series of tabloid-type stories relating to her family.

But Palin retains a strong following among many conservatives who were electrified when she was tapped to serve on the GOP ticket by Sen. John McCain last year. She drew thousands of people to a small-town festival in upstate New York last month, some of whom drove a considerable distance just to catch a glimpse of Palin.

Palin allies contend that her star power will still benefit her home state.

“This was a positive forward looking decision for her state, her family and cares so much for Alaska that she is going to get outside of the bubble and work to its benefit outside,” said Jason Recher, who worked for Palin on last year’s campaign.

But the decision to suddenly quit her post will also reinforce some of the very questions about Palin that were raised in the lengthy Vanity Fair story this week – whether she’s overly erratic and prone to ignore her own political advisers.

Two of own GOP allies were told this week that Palin would announce that she was definitely not running for re-election, but the move to outright leave office has caught many of her supporters by surprise.

Democrats, delighted at yet another opportunity to hammer prominent Republican office-holders, accused Palin of quitting on her state.

“Either Sarah Palin is leaving the people of Alaska high and dry to pursue her long shot national political ambitions or she simply can't handle the job now that her popularity has dimmed and oil revenues are down,” said the DNC’s Brad Woodhouse. “Either way - her decision to abandon her post and the people of Alaska who elected her continues a pattern of bizarre behavior that more than anything else may explain the decision she made today.”

Palin’s office announced Friday morning that she would make an “announcement’ at her home in the afternoon but said nothing more until the governor stood alongside Parnell and much of her cabinet.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/24497.html

Yeah! Nice News! :)

I don't think she has any change to win the president elections in 2012. Even if Obama's popularity sinks so much, that he is changeless in the elections (I don't think or hope that happend). I also think that Palin has very small changes of being the president represent for the republican party. I hope that's the last that we hear of her!

The title of this thread should have been named "Bailin' Palin"

Top Bottom