1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch News!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Stuie, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Siggy19

Siggy19 Warlord

Not necessarily... slowdowns can happen suddenly if there is a big change to the data being used... for example when a map is exchanged providing substantially more information.

I still suspect that there may be a minor memory leak (since people could often play an extra few turns after reloading a save), but it does sound likely that the main issue was simply that the system was using the memory inefficiently.

Personally, I am totally bummed because my wife said about an hour ago that she is not getting me the laptop I was hoping for and so I suspect that it will be a few years before I can actually play the game... I knew the patch info would be out as a result !

Yes, I am thoroughly whipped. <sigh>

2. Dida

Dida YHWH

The game just crashed on me again. It has been doing this at least once a day. Come Firax, release the patch, fix the problem.

3. KingSponge

KingSponge Warlord

I've come to the same conclusion. I have FreeRam Pro running and it reports (roughly) the same memory usage no matter what length of time Civ4 has been running (I leave it running all day on Sundays while I'm watching football!). The slow-downs I'm noticing definitely seem to be related to the late stages of the game when the map starts getting filled with more little details.

4. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Funnily enough, it's not exactly unknown for 'Polytubbies to complain about CFC getting all of the developers attention because of all the whiners over at 'Poly ...

The game seems to run without glitches for me. :) Nothing suggestive of a memory leak.

5. Dida

Dida YHWH

The game just crashed on me again, for the 2nd time in 1 hour. This game, in terms of stability is a total piece of sh*t. I hope they fix it in the patch.

6. Venger

Venger Give it a tumble, sport

HALLE-FREAKING-LUJAH!!!!

Fingers are crossed...

Venger

7. Leuf

Leuf Chieftain

By that logic then wheat, corn, etc shouldn't be shown until you get agriculture and stone and marble until masonry, and on and on until the map is empty. We'd better not be able to see the forests until we get bronze working because we don't know we can cut them down yet. Whoever complained to Firaxis and got this changed I suggest you research "Ducking" so you can see the rock I'm about to throw at you.

It's not terribly surprising they have the patch ready just about the same time they were originally supposed to have the game out...

8. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

I hope the Open/Closed Border problem will be fixed.

-the Wolf

9. Brain

Brain Lost in thought

Exactly. Oil was also known in the ancient near east but nobody though it to be very useful (except marginal use in oil lamps) until combustion engines were invented.

I hope this patch fixes the crashes. Today I got kicked out five times in three hours and got two blue screens! :eek: But I can't help it, I reload and continue...just...one...more...turn. :crazyeye: What's this site called again?

10. Brain

Brain Lost in thought

That's not quite the same. Wild crops were used for food before agriculture. They just didn't know that they can saw the seeds to produce more crops. Stones were used even by homo habilis so that point is also moot. Those technologies just allow old resources to gain new uses. That said, I think making "hunting" a technology is just silly. Even wild animals know how to hunt. And BTW, why don't the wolves eat the sheep?

11. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING Supporter

I hope this patch addressess the need for games to be played without cheating, but this was not addressed in the letter. It could be one of the MANY fixes, but not mentioned.

12. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

Ahh... I really hope they are fixing the Black Terrain issue for most of the people that have them.

I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope I hope...

I wonder if thats what they mean by specific video card fixes... any idea? Or will we just have to wait.

13. kattana

kattana Warlord

>Whoever complained to Firaxis and got this changed I suggest you research "Ducking" so you can see the rock I'm about to throw at you

OMG!! that was great...man did i need that laugh

thanks!

14. Tephra

Tephra Chieftain

thankgod, horses from animal husbandry...

i dont know how many times that has caused me serious problems..

</sarcasm>

yeah go the patch!

15. Tephra

Tephra Chieftain

are you blind? did u even read the note? Firaxis have already released the patch to T2 for QA...`

16. Schlomoe99

Schlomoe99 Trench Raider

17. Dida

Dida YHWH

By Firaxis, I referred to all parties that took part in releasing this game. As far as I am concerned, the patch has not been released yet. Please, do not assume you have high IQ than others, before actually performing an IQ test. Do not assume you have the authority or capability to tutor others in how to read.

18. MagnumPI

MagnumPI Chieftain

You are almost right. The save game has nothing to do with the memory use of the program. The save game is just a set of values that the game will use to load back a specific game with specific values. The memory used in the game DURING opperation has nothing to do with this. The leak could be within the AI moves (which is recalculated each round) or with the 3D engine, or with the sound etc etc etc etc... All of these will have no bearing on the save game file.

19. jayeffaar

jayeffaar Warlord

Last year, as soon as it came out, I bought Far Cry, a first-person shooter. I had a pretty good system that had run everything I had thrown at it thus far and expected no problems. To my dismay, the game kept crashing at random points in the first half-hour or so of playing it.

I started navigating the forums, finding tons of users like me who were frustrated that CryTek has released such a buggy game, and was doing nothing about it. Lots of people were having no problems whatsoever with the game, but lots of other were having problems very similar to mine.

Then, I started finding posts suggesting that some of the problems may have been due to faulty memory. BS! My system worked fine with every other game, so it had to be the game's fault.

One of those posts mentioned a processor and memory torture test program that I could run on my system to make sure that my memory was fine. I ran it, believing it wouldn't find anything and... lo and behold, it repeatedly found faulty memory accesses within the first 20 minutes of running. I went into the BIOS and slowed down my memory access speed somewhat (which I shouldn't have had to do according to my system and memory specs) and the problem went away.

Bottom line: even though I, along with thousands of others, was convinced that I was stuck with a buggy game, in the end it turned out that the problem really was with my system, because the game was pushing some of its components beyond anything they had had to endure before. Something like that has to be happening to at least some of the people having trouble with the game...

20. NanoPug

NanoPug Chieftain

True, hiding the resources prevents players from making decisions as if they are leaders from the future. The whole concept is to force players to think like the leaders at that period of time. It is not logical for leaders to order their workers to build a road toward resources that they find no use for.