Patch News!

nuke_man said:
let's just wait for the patch's release maybe that will be on the end of the year or next year.... or end of next year...whatever..... i'm just tired of waiting....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

nuke_man said:
let's just wait for the patch's release maybe that will be on the end of the year or next year.... or end of next year...whatever..... i'm just tired of waiting....

And we're tired of listening to whiners such as yourself. Why don't you just move on with the more important things in your life...or does your entire world revolve around Civ 4?

So many people here saying "2K should not rush the game, now they must rush the patch". I do not get the logic behind this, but I'm just a birdbrain.

@King Flevance

Here is what I would tell you if I worked for Firaxis and didnt have a PR guy with a big stick looking over my shoulder:

"I estimate that the patch will be out in April 2006. This estimate is based on the fact that we have millions of PC/driver/mobo/gfx card/etc combinations to test the patch on so that it can work on everyones machines.

Unfortunately, the patch STILL wont fix everything because AT LEAST SOME problems people are having are with their PCs and nothing we can change in our software can change that."

Hope that helps :mischief:

Oh, and for those comparing software and cars, lets be clear here. 2 ferraris are 2 completely different things, made at different times, potentially by different people over an extended period of time. It is perfectly possible that on one of those ferraris something could have been incorrectly attached (ie a fuel pipe) so that customer 1 has a great car and customer 2 has an expensive ornament. The company should fix the ornament free of charge as soon as humanly possible.

In software, a program is a series of 0's and 1's. It is the exact same series of 0's and 1's on your PC as it is mine. The difference between your experience and mine is the environment we've each placed those 0's and 1's.

I've placed mine in a working environment wrapped up in an attitude of "this is a brand new game, using a brand new engine, using the lastest version of DX from Microsoft, and incorporating a whole raft of new features. I am fully aware that minimum and recommended specs on PC games arent very useful guides to PERFORMANCE but should be useful to know which software (ie DX9.0c) I need to be compatible. I therefore should expect some bugs/optimisation needs in the 1.0 version of the game."

I'm guessing you've placed yours in a potentially working environment (I've no evidence to back that up) with an attitude of "minimum specs tell me thats whats needed to run every aspect of the game but slowly, recommended specs are whats needed to run every aspect of the game well. Even though i'm buying v1.0 of this game I'll expect it to work on every single PC on the planet with no problems."

I think I know which of the 2 is the reasonable one.

Mazruk said:
@King Flevance

Here is what I would tell you if I worked for Firaxis and didnt have a PR guy with a big stick looking over my shoulder:

"I estimate that the patch will be out in April 2006. This estimate is based on the fact that we have millions of PC/driver/mobo/gfx card/etc combinations to test the patch on so that it can work on everyones machines.

Unfortunately, the patch STILL wont fix everything because AT LEAST SOME problems people are having are with their PCs and nothing we can change in our software can change that."

Not to forget :
By the date the have actually finished the patch, new hardware is already out... neverending story

lol..the whiners of the whiners... those that have to speak about whiners in a patch news thread...telling others to get a life. What the he77 are you doing even bothering commenting. Stick a 5" plastic coaster in it and give these guys there $50 worth of biggion. Go play your game already. :p

RedRum4Fun said:
lol..the whiners of the whiners... those that have to speak about whiners in a patch news thread...telling others to get a life. What the he77 are you doing even bothering commenting. Stick a 5" plastic coaster in it and give these guys there $50 worth of biggion. Go play your game already. :p
OT but what do you think you are doing now actually?

Well, I have the game for 27 days now, and after only one week the topics started to open "Patch coming up this week" ...
I think it's quite normal me and some other people are getting impatient, however, we'd rather have a late but good patch than a rushed but awful one.

Instead of trying to fix all the bugs at once, would it be better to release a patch with a bunch of fixes as soon as it's ready, and then continue to work on a second patch? At least get as much working correctly as quickly as possible?

Honestly, I'm not sure what the right answer is ...

I don't think they will be able to fix all the bugs at once anyhow so most likely your suggestion will be reality, Mookie.

EDIT: not meant as a cheap remark at Firaxis but a mere fact.

I honestly cannot believe that the patch has not been released yet. Take2 Q&A must have discovered some show-stopping bugs when it was submitted for testing last Monday.

When I consider that the first patch released for Civ3 was v1.07f, That tells me they try to get it right. that ".07" means it was the seventh patch they sent to QA for testing. The others didn't make it. I assume they are taking the same care with this patch.

Remember we aren't waiting for them to fix bugs, the proper term is PUF (Previously Undocumented Feature), we are waiting for documentation and fine tunining of PUFs (prononuced poofs).

Mazruk said:
@King Flevance

Then honestly, in response I would tell you in return that you can have your game back and I want a refund. I believe that choice should be available for me under the circumstances that I gave you 60 bucks and dont get the product as promised on the 24th of October but instead somewhereish around April of next year.
This giving me a time table to work off of, allows me to know what my next course of action should be and I am no longer in the dark. Why do people insist on defending them when they have no idea the level of BS that is taking place here? :crazyeye: :mad:
I understand your sarcasm here. "OK, genius pretend this is the date. Not like it matters." The date doesnt matter to those who have bought the game and enjoying it. The date matters to me because I now possess a game that is below demo quality on my machine (which in turn just gives me a POS game, not knocking the actual development here fanboys, but for its worthless now that I have 'demo-ed' the game) that isn't worth my 60 bucks, and I want that back. This if the date is honestly in April as I will easily be able to go out in April and buy it for around 30 bucks. So why do I have to pay full price to have it today and not play it, when I could buy it when I CAN play it for half the price roughly?
I know you were mostly humoring me along with yourself Mazruk with your post or at least that's the manner I took it in. But honestly how hard is it to release a date for us to decide what we want to do as far as action goes. I can not take my game back to the retailer, I already know this for a fact. But if this date would surface I could see if I want to mess with sending it back to Take 2/Firaxis. I seriously don't want to keep it for too long because prices drop on PC software here pretty quick after the first month or two. So the price will drop any day now and why should I pay full price for a game I havent been able to enjoy for a month?
I am just going to leave it at that for now. I hope this clears up what I am talking about.

Strange, I've never seen them advertising this. Do you have a link?

I always tought this was a Throne Room art...

Attachments

• 919352_20050831_screen006.jpg
    919352_20050831_screen006.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 762
elhoim said:
I always tought this was a Throne Room art...

Hm, I don't know this picture, that's why I asked for a link so that I can see where Firaxis advertised this feature. Because that (the game not having the advertised features) was the claim made here.

Edit: Ok, I found the picture between the Civ4 concept art sketches presented here at CFC. So it appears that a throne room was at least planned. However, I still don't see where Firaxis advertised this feature.

That said, I'd love to have a throne room. I won't scream blue murder because of the game not having this feature, but it always was something nice to have. It's the accusation that the game is "missing advertised features" that concerns me.

Psyringe said:
Hm, I don't know this picture, that's why I asked for a link so that I can see where Firaxis advertised this feature. Because that (the game not having the advertised features) was the claim made here.

Edit: Ok, I found the picture between the Civ4 concept art sketches presented here at CFC. So it appears that a throne room was at least planned. However, I still don't see where Firaxis advertised this feature.

That said, I'd love to have a throne room. I won't scream blue murder because of the game not having this feature, but it always was something nice to have. It's the accusation that the game is "missing advertised features" that concerns me.
Well, it is mentioned in the manual. So they did plan on having it in at some point, the decision to remove it was obviously made after the manual was sent to print. Probably when they decided to push up the release date by 3 weeks.

Technically, the game is missing at least one advertised feature, btw - the Pitboss server was cut until at least December. Firaxis did inform buyers that it was going to be left out however, but not before hyping it all summer.

Top Bottom