Pentagon plans to propagandise allied countries?

hmm... isnt it better of spending money on stuff like more armured humvee's ???
Heck better pay for the soldiers and more of em

If you produce the result on the Ground in Iraq then the media good stories to pick up.

Bronx Warlord said:
Fuuny... the big three in eurabia are talking to Iran about it's nuke program... guess they are victims of the white house spin machine as well :rolleyes:

And your point would be..

edit: Iran has Nuclear reactors. It needs electricity and is building nuclear reactors. If you are wondering why Iran needs it with all that oil and gas - Russia has lots of oil and gas, but it still has lots ot nuclear reactors. It's better to sell oil than to burn it. Reactors can be rebuilt, oil will ran out. Money saved (by not burning oil) is better spent on development..

And yes, they kind of are victims of the white house spin.. but not the way you think they are.. You know, it's perfectly legal for Iran to have nuclear reactors. If EU can arange monotoring to make sure it will be peacefull, then US will have no excuse to atack it. That's why US is so mad and angry at EU. You see.. If US invaded Iran then the real trubles would only start.. but since you have told everybody who "axis of evil" is, EU can maybe get something done before it is too late.. You know, "european way to deal with problems"..

but hey, it's a kind of "good cop, bad cop" rutine.. so you can be proud, too. If we are succesful, your buddies will not have to die in Iran..

"european way to deal with problems"..
You mean the Opium War? or the Halocaust?

Seriously, stop blowing hot air out of your ass, your nation is no better than the United States, and believing otherwise makes you sound like an arrogant moron. It was cute the first million times, not anymore.

Moderator Action: Warned for trolling
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Immortal said:
Woaw ! I'm back in the past ! America is enslaving black people and enjailing natives in reserves !

Ok, now let's talk more seriously.

Actually, I'm not really shocked by this. What is called propaganda in here is used by a large number of governments in the world, including European ones. Of course, it's not secret agents who are writing a newspaper, but you don't really have to do so, the only thing you need to do is to subsidize journalists who think in the same way as you do.

If you go in Ivory Coast, in Iraq or elsewhere, you will find newspapers funded by the United States or France. Of course, it's not done directly, but the only thing you need is to make sure money go in the right pocket. And it's not that hard to hide it. You just stay neutral, you let people talk, you just help those who say what you want to hear. I don't see exactly what's new in that story. Well outside the fact the Pentagon wants to do that also in Europe of course.

EDIT : However, I wonder if this is really necessary. After all, Ruppert Murdoch is already doing so right now without asking for a dime.

Immortal said:

Seriously, stop blowing hot air out of your ass, your nation is no better than the United States, and believing otherwise makes you sound like an arrogant moron.

Well.. since you bring up the wars.. and Iraq is going soo well for US, maybe US should invade Iran also? It's in the "axis of evil" already, so that will be no problem..

My country is hardly better then US, but we don't take wars so lightly. There are better ways, and EU is proff for that. But since US is world's only superpower, nobody can't realy stop you, can they?.. so, go ahead, maybe this time, you will get flowers..

The main problem the US has is trust and credibility. After the Iraq war, well, no-one is going to trust the US when it says a country has WMD unless they show actual photos of the leader of said country next to a clearly marked nuclear missile, smiling and can then prove said photos were not photoshopped. That's how low the credibility of US intelligence is. And in the Islamic world US credibility in general is practically zero. Any positive benefits from this policy would be wiped out by the increased loss of credibility and trust. As the ancient Chinese saying goes, the first time a stubborn man refuses to take any advice, puts all his effort into something he believes in and loses horribly you should at least admire him for his effort and gumption. The second time he does it it's a pattern. The third time he does it, he's a stubborn incompetent idiot and fool and you should execute him. Basically, it's forgivable to find yourself in a hole, esp. if you got there in good faith, but if you don't learn from your mistakes and stop digging you're a fool and deserve to have the hole cave in on you.

On the bright side of things, when I get into arguments in threads I can now say "Well the US military has an official *policy* of releasing misleading information and propaganda to fool its allies" so how can I trust these statements/numbers? Which I think kindof hightlights the problem with this policy...

The US intelligence doesn't have a problem about credibility. the US administration has.

During the Iraq crisis, I remember that I've read several stories about CIA agents who quit because there were fed up by the involvement of the administration in their business. The question wasn't to find out whether there were WMD's or not, the question was to find them. Many agents said that there were no evidence of any nuclear programs, and the AIEA said the same in February 2002. However, despite that, Bush declared during his State of the Union speech that Iraq bought uranium from Niger. And few days later Colin Powell were showing pictures to the UN Security Council. Both of them knew those informations were fake.

As such, I don't blame the CIA, I blame the administration. The same administration which is placing neo-cons guy all over the agency right now, to politicize it even more. If you want efficient services, you need them to tell the truth, not to say what the White House wants to hear.

SeleucusNicator said:
A spendid idea; unfortunately, with a free press both at home and abroad, it would never work.

Your opposition to free speech eliminates whatever credibility you ever had.

PS. Thank you for the new sig.

SeleucusNicator said:
A spendid idea; unfortunately, with a free press both at home and abroad, it would never work.

That's a valid point. With free media that plan will never work. So, why is it that pentagon is discussing it? Does that mean that media is not free?

Why is it, than more than half of the Americans think Iraq was behind 9/11 and that actuall WMD were found in Iraq? This is of course not true. But, how is that posible with all free media around..

rmsharpe said:
Yes, I'm sure they will.

Well Afganistain has fallen from the radar.
Osama has disappeared from the face of the earth.
And Iraq hardly rates a mention anymore.

:D

If the European Nations can solve the Iran thing peacefully, than more power to them as they say. But...I think the people at the White House are idiots if keep using the "WMD" trick over and over. Bush seems to have forgotten his own doctrine. This should be handled like the Taliban was. Stop supporting internation terrorism and stiring up trouble in Iraq, those should be the reasons. A country with Nukes is not necessarily our enemie. Israel has em...Britain does to....

This is coming from someone who likes Bush

rmsharpe said:
With the lies being spread in Europe, how can you blame the Pentagon for changing their tactics?

The headline should read: "Pentagon to begin broadcasting like BBC"

Hopefully this won't involve the Pentagon pushing manky old re-runs of "The Good Life" and "To the Manor Born" :eek: .

The propaganda war has already started...like, a few decades ago. The first was blasting American pop culture threwout the nations. This is only starting to take effect in non-european, non-eastern Asian nations.

Its not even government sponsored either...its Hollywood sponsored, and to a lesser extent, Mcdonalds sponsored, and totally unintentional.

The love-hate relationship between Hollywood and foreign countries is quite funny actually. Alot of people from abroad that i've chatted with think that the culture presented in American movies(ala xXx or the WWE/WWF) reflects what Americans and what American life is really like, and many don't like what they see....yet at the same time they continue to watch, and enjoy, many of those same movies.

They don't realize that many Americans(like myself) are also disgusted by some of what Hollywood presents as "movies"....trust me...real life in America isn't like the movies.

Its the same steriotype that many Americans have(at least my generation) about people from Asia....all the movies have them as Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee Martial Artists, or Samurai carrying around swords everywhere. Automatically, they assume that all Asians know martial arts....lol

Top Bottom