• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Pie's Ancient Europe

I have no polluting buildings or anything and I have forests and all those goods. I started a new file as Macedon and I am not having the problem though. So maybe its a one-time glitch.

Pie, I just noticed something because of the civics that give free military units. I'm playing as Cleopatra and when I changed to Citizen Army from Tribal warriors I tought it was strange that my money rate actually decreased. So I looked at the Financial Advisor to check out the unit costs and it seems that no unit is really considered as military, every unit is simply a unit so those civics don't actually give any free units. :( (<- My face when I found it out)

Edit: To be honest I'm not really sure how military unit costs works. From what I remember from the original civ, the military cost was only used when you had the civic Pacifism that increased military cost by +1. But I never really payed too much attention to it to be sure if it's really only used on this case.

Hey, love your previous installments of the Ancient Europe mod! But I have a small problem. I recently upgraded my computer to Win7, and lost the original folder I had of Ancient Europe. I downloaded and installed version IV, but whenever I try to play a scenario or a random game, I: 1. Do not have a HUD 2. Cannot see the tech tree or any of my other advisors' pages - it just shows a blank, gold-leaf-like page 3. Cannot see any troops...

I don't know if this has already been discussed or addressed (don't have the time to go through 11 pages of posts), but if I could get some help, that'd be great.

Make sure your BTS is updated to version 3.19. If it is try to download the mod again and see if it works.

Hi Pie! thanks for the new version.
I'm having the same issue here :
Hey, love your previous installments of the Ancient Europe mod! But I have a small problem. I recently upgraded my computer to Win7, and lost the original folder I had of Ancient Europe. I downloaded and installed version IV, but whenever I try to play a scenario or a random game, I: 1. Do not have a HUD 2. Cannot see the tech tree or any of my other advisors' pages - it just shows a blank, gold-leaf-like page 3. Cannot see any troops...

I don't know if this has already been discussed or addressed (don't have the time to go through 11 pages of posts), but if I could get some help, that'd be great.

When I changed the screen resolution settings (opening graphics options on 1st turn) to any other one (1280x800 or any other one) and then back to my laptop's config screen rez the HuD appeared and it became playable. Can't see the tech tree though. There must be something messing with the screen resolutions.

Try that Obsidianwolf, hope it might help.

I'll go further testing.

There seems to be a bug with the new vassal system. I lost my vassal to Massinissa and I entered in war with everyone he was at war before. I think that the vassal doesn't completely ceases to be my vassal before becoming someones else, so I end up having to declare war on everyone he is at war because of his master, or something like that.

Edit 1: Here's the save file in case it's useful, just skip a turn.

Edit 2: Once I captured a Massinissa city, his vassal offered to support my war against him if I gave him money. First problem was that it's was written like this: "Carthage, vassal of %s2, offers...". The other problem was that I accepected the offer but nothing really happened, I didn't lose any money and he didn't join me.

Attachments

• Cleopatra BC-0780.CivBeyondSwordSave
    884.2 KB · Views: 53
Thanks to Pie, Magus Zarkara, and Salahdein for assistance. I have been able to fix it so that I get the HUD and the troop graphics, but I still can't see my advisor's screens, nor do I have any city screen. My Civ is updated with the 3.19 patch, and I have changed the resolution.

A new download version is available. I've got the suspicion that perhaps the files (rar or exe-package) were corrupt. Please delete PAE IV and download again.

thanks for the new download Pie.
but still I can't see the HuD until I change the screen resolution (each time I launch or load a game) and no tech screen yet. Still playable and enjoyable though. Strange issue there.

Hello. Thank you for this great mod.

Juste a bit problem : i got some CTDs. I must often reopen the game. And i got freeze at turn 370 in one of the scenario in Europe map. I don't know what i can do. Change my RAM ?

@Magus: no :D I think, this is a complex chain reaction. The point, where Massinissa gets vassal of your opponent, is my work. The declaration of war of those others is automatically (by BTS). Why it is happening like this, we have to proof all relationsships and powers of all CIVs....

@Sala: Did you ever had BUG installed? If so, it won't work. You'll have to reinstall CIV+BTS+3.19 again because BUG overwrites some original files. Sry!

@joma: please post a save file where it happens next. I'll have a look. do you have an idea why it could happen?

@all:

While playing, do not change to your desktop. I got also crashes because I had changed to desktop (skype, browser). once I change, I know there is a CtD the next turns. If I do not change, I can play as long as I want.... strange!

hey - first of all, awesome mod. great fun to play. never get bored of it.

i just ran into an issue. after ending the turn on the save below, game freezes. the assyrians move (attacking hattusas), and then the freeze happens, and i have to ctrl+alt+del to exit the game. tried making peace with the assyrians, but same problem. however, i then tried to make peace with the hittites. as soon as i click to accept a ceasefire, the game just exits itself on its own...

View attachment kk2.CivBeyondSwordSave

thanks for the help, and also for the amazing mod.

@Magus: no :D I think, this is a complex chain reaction.
@joma: please post a save file where it happens next. I'll have a look. do you have an idea why it could happen?

No mister because i got CTDs on all maps, all scenarios, and all times.

I suppose i got a RAM problem, perhaps a dead memory. I don't know, but the problem only occurs with this mod. In the others mods, i only have difficultyes to load big sav (CTD nearly all the time with very big save game).

@all:

While playing, do not change to your desktop. I got also crashes because I had changed to desktop (skype, browser). once I change, I know there is a CtD the next turns. If I do not change, I can play as long as I want.... strange!

Thank you, it does not solve my problem, but thank you too.

About the CtDs: I am busy to check this out. I WANT to find the reason.
@card: welcome to this forum! thx for your compliments! I've tried the save, same result.

Hi Pie,

does anyone here suffer from my pink-placeholder-prob? Pink square for Ziggurat, Spy, all pop-up-events? If I click on them icons, I always get a direct CTD.

To the general occurying CTDs: for me it helps when I disable under options "espionage", "events" and sth else that I forgot now, sry.

In lategame MAFs will most likely occur, IMO because of massive AI troop movement. Hello SODs.

And: I love this mod. It is so great and really challenging. Got great plague twice in a row while being attack from multiple enemies and had then a slave riot with about 30 attacking rebel-bastards. Awesome!!! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

And the AI knows how to do naval warfare, sea blockade and direct city attacks from sea (not only troops unloading) included!!! I love it.

Greez,

Tschuggi

Hey Pie - I haven't played this mod in over a year as I've been focused on improving my vanilla BTS game. However, I'm going to get back into it. I did enjoy the experience way back when. Anyway, just to make sure I get the best experience from the mod, please let me know what are the best settings to use for the best balance, i.e., speed, map, sizes, options. Also, what difficulty is best for an IMM+ player. thanks

First of all: get PAE IV and don't play a previous version :)
An immortal+ player? pffft, I really don't know because I am just a middle exp. player. Perhaps Keinpferd knows.

normal and epic is similar, marathon is higher unit and research cost (150%).
for best performance take the standard maps. If you prefer england take s17 map, if you want middle east civs take s18 alternative. all with barbs ... of course! ;)

but for a challenge: try the 300 BC scen with immortal. eg as Seleucus ^^

Thanks for the quick response, Pie... Yep! I just downloaded the new version.

I'm looking more for the "experience" at this point with the mod as opposed to challenge, but mentioned my difficulty level on vanilla as I don't want the game to be too easy. I recall a lot of new features from the mod so I'm sure it will take me some getting used to regardless of what level I play.

The 300BC scenario looks cool....i like scenarios with mods.

Still unsure on speed, but probably not marathon.

Hey lymond, since the game provides a lot of new things you will probably have fun on your first game at any difficult. I'm also a immortal player on vanilla civ, so here's a suggestion. My current game I'm playing on immortal on the s18 map with barb cities on epic speed (I used to play only on normal speed on vanilla, for some reason I like to play on epic here) and it's pretty much won at this point. Since you aren't used to the tech tree I think that emperor is a good start, but definitely no difficult lower then monarch. Since you have knowledge on how civ works lower difficults will be really easy.

Hey Pie, not sure if it's intentended or not but on the s18 map there's no teutons. Since I like them and they are the only resource mercenary not on the map I decided to add them the closest to where they are in relation to the large map as possible (altough I still don't have the tech to use him).

I have some question about how the plague spreads. I got the plague 3 times on this match that came from other civs. Could deal with them but the second and third ones felt weird. They got the plague from a city that was inland on north africa and my cities were on the northwest of the black sea. It felt weird because I got the plague from an incredible far away city that isn't even coastal while nearier cities were ok. So how does plague spreading works? Is it simply a chance that any of your cities will get the plague from another civ? When my city is plagued it seems that it only spreads to the nearby cities instead of one far away.

Also how does a terrain plagued because of combat? Is it a chance that every combat has or maybe when there's a larger number of units on a spot it increases the change?

@lymond: Not sure about random maps, but if you're playing one of the historical scenarios, difficulty is much depending on what Civ you pick and which leader. By rule of thumb, I'd say, historical PAE-scenarios are one or two levels easier compared to standard BTS, for one thing because the AI doesn't get the huge starting advantages, and secondly, because you know as a human player very well, what kind of troops Alexander will be bringing, that amber is located near the Baltic Sea, that the Po lowlands are very fertile, that opposite the Gaul shores there's one bigger and one smaller island…

If you like suspense and want the instant full immersion in the PAE IV world, try Thorgal's 300 BC scenario. It's the opposite of a snug historical theme park walk, where your armies are already embarked in galleys that you are supposed to move in the only reasonable direction, that the scenario designer had in mind.

Hey Pie, not sure if it's intentended or not but on the s18 map there's no teutons. Since I like them and they are the only resource mercenary not on the map I decided to add them the closest to where they are in relation to the large map as possible (altough I still don't have the tech to use him).

I have some question about how the plague spreads. I got the plague 3 times on this match that came from other civs. Could deal with them but the second and third ones felt weird. They got the plague from a city that was inland on north africa and my cities were on the northwest of the black sea. It felt weird because I got the plague from an incredible far away city that isn't even coastal while nearier cities were ok. So how does plague spreading works? Is it simply a chance that any of your cities will get the plague from another civ? When my city is plagued it seems that it only spreads to the nearby cities instead of one far away.

Also how does a terrain plagued because of combat? Is it a chance that every combat has or maybe when there's a larger number of units on a spot it increases the change?

Teutons: oh. ok. thats the alternative maps, I think. just cut away.

Plague: Nearby cities AND cities in your trade routes! both some % of chance

Plagued terrain: Yes there is a certain small chance per fight. it has nothing to do with the amount of units.

Top Bottom