Pie's Ancient Europe

:lol:
It's the last post i'll make in favor of the dacians(I promise.. I don't want to spark a whole debate.. your mod is to good for that :D):

Dacians are more important than: Phoenicia, Iberians, Vandals, Berbers, Numibia or Huns.

Dacians are equally important as Gauls, Germanics or Celts

Under Burebista, the dacians plundered roman tows as far as Thracia, Illyria and Macedonia. The roman reply came some 150 years later :lol: and even then it was one of the biggest military campaigns of the Roman empire. Domitian got his ass kicked by Decebal several times, and remember that Rome was at her greatest expanse under Trajan thanks to the conquest of dacia and some persian teritories. One of the biggest monument in rome depicts the conquest of dacia (Trajan's Column). Compare this to a berber tribe!

Of course this is your mod and you can do as you please. I'll still a good mod, dacians or no dacians.

A! Look on the forums for TAM (The Ancient Mod). It has some wonderful ideas and some very nice animated leader heads. Maybe they will give you permission to use them if you ask nicely ;)

@vladstruzu: Too late, we're already in the middle of the debate ;). One thing that can be argued in favour of the Dacians is less historical, rather gameplay related: On all Europe maps or earth maps I ever tried there was a problem with the settlement of the Balkans. In many cases the Macedons took the area, sometimes the Romans, the Germans, the Ottomans and whatnot. (As a mac user) I never had a chance to look at mods with fancy new civs like Croatians and Bulgars that I know are around, so the Dacians in Pie's Europe would for the first time fix it for me. Finally Southeastern Europe would be populated by a people that actually belongs there.
On the other hand, the Dacians are that important mainly from the Roman romanocentric point of view. If you play Greece you start to miss the Thracians and Scyths. I think in TAM there was Kolchis. Not necessary, but very romantic.

What do you have against Numibia? My uncle, you know, a confessing nudist, was from Numibia originally, later adopted by Nubimians ;). And the Vandals weren't less important than the Dacians, too, since it was them who pillaged not just some areas both sides of the boarders of the Empire, they pillaged Rome. As did the Goths, I think. For the same reason you could demand the Goths in the game, because they conquered Rome, like the Vandals. However, the Huns weren't less important than the Dacians, either. If they hadn't put any pressure on the Goths and Vandals, none of them would have moved west. And in the end they totalled an amount of destruction like probably no other civ in the mod. (Little side idea: in the Viking mod that comes with the game their victory condition is reaching a certain pillaging total. This should be what the Huns are after. Can't the barbarian Hun version be set to maximize destruction instead of researching literature?)

@research speed: Does the change have to be made in …\Mods\PieAncientEurope\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4 GameSpeedInfo.xml and …\CIV4HandicapInfo.xml?

I have very minor changes to propose, I've already added them myself to test them. I'm gonna start with the legions, I changed their name :
Militia Legionary -> Polybian Legionary
Legionary -> Marian Legionary
So it goes well with the final Imperial Legionary.

Then, I got rid of all the city attack malus', it made no sens, as highly evolved and trained legions used the Testudo especially for sieges. I also made Marian, Imperial Legionary and Preatorians immune to first strikes while giving them a single chance at first strike.
It's not much, and it won't make them übersoldiers, they can still be beaten fairly in woods or by gallic swordmen, hoplites or immortals.

I'm also planing to add so different skins/moddels. The Imperium Romanum mod has awesome units, I'll see if I swap some cool units, especially the hoplites, the ethnic swordmen, some cavalry for the greeks etc, just to enjoy the mod a little bit more ! :goodjob:

@research speed: Does the change have to be made in …\Mods\PieAncientEurope\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4 GameSpeedInfo.xml and …\CIV4HandicapInfo.xml?

Only GameSpeedInfo.xml. In CIV4HandicapInfo.xml you can make it difficulty specific, but the AI is on noble so if you change deity it will only apply to you. (and you will get your ass kicked :lol:) As for the dacians... I will say nothing.

Oh! And I have nothing against Numibia. I just don't see them and the berbers making the top 18 civs in a ancient mod. Maybe just one of them...

Only GameSpeedInfo.xml. In CIV4HandicapInfo.xml you can make it difficulty specific, but the AI is on noble so if you change deity it will only apply to you. (and you will get your ass kicked :lol:) As for the dacians... I will say nothing.

Oh! And I have nothing against Numibia. I just don't see them and the berbers making the top 18 civs in a ancient mod. Maybe just one of them...

:lol: Well, no, I think I leave it like it is, then;).

Hehe, it's Numidia, man, and Nubia. And there's a Namibia. Got it;)?

@Taneda: You're saying just what I was thinking, but didn't dare asking for, because if you take the cool skins from Imperium Romanum, then its "exclusive content" would be gone, without much left:mischief:. Anyway, since these units are taken from some other place, too, why not? When you're done, would you upload it somewhere:yup:, I'd love to see how that works? And is it possible to add the changes you're making in a current game, I guess not?

@vladstrutzu: good news. I will try this one out: map changes (you could prepare my european map and make screenshot of what it should look like) and put the huns there, where the dacians would start (just for testing). if they survive between macedos and vandals, I will add them instead of the huns. the huns will get barbarian mounted units arriving in later game.

@taneda: I am not a friend of so many different inoriginal skins. some skins do not have a certain "shadow-nif" and so I got an error msg in a log file... it does not effect the gameplay, but who knows...
and I do not use national specific names for units. they should be neutral. as you say polybian or marian. its too specific. You are the leader and not marian and who knows polybian? when I say militia, everybody knows that they're just simple men without experience. but everybody is free to change this for his own, I am not angry about this ;)

@Keinpferd: Sorry about that.. I meant Numidia... just put the "d" backwards :lol:

@pie_at: :worship: a good starting capital in the Carpathian Mountains and room for some 2-3 cities is all it's needed. At least in early game having a strong capital and building a palace early is enough for the starting point of an empire. I will put a modified map but only tomorrow, I have now some Valentine's Day business to attend to... :mischief:

Playing as Celts, having a good time, but I have a crash. Here is the attached game, seems to be while waiting for other players, I just met Hannibal I think. Fun Mod.

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-0536.CivBeyondSwordSave
    528.8 KB · Views: 144
I modified the map and you can add the huns as dacians for test in the where the green cursor is.
Spoiler :

Original map (with Danube Delta way to the N, and the teritory where are now Bulgaria and S Romania is virtualy nonexistant):

Modified map (I kept the impassable mountains for gameplay):

@zagaz: plz download the newest version. a slave dies the next round and this was a bug in the version before. your save will work with the latest version!

@ vlad: thx vlad, I will implement like this.

This is a brilliant mod! It really does bring the ancient world to life.

One suggestion: change units dying from plague to losing strength instead. It is unrealistic the way it is, and extremely annoying micro management to constantly replenish lost garrisons.

Cheers,
Sword

Taneda Santôka;8898363 said:
I have very minor changes to propose, I've already added them myself to test them. I'm gonna start with the legions, I changed their name :
Militia Legionary -> Polybian Legionary
Legionary -> Marian Legionary
So it goes well with the final Imperial Legionary.

Then, I got rid of all the city attack malus', it made no sens, as highly evolved and trained legions used the Testudo especially for sieges. I also made Marian, Imperial Legionary and Preatorians immune to first strikes while giving them a single chance at first strike.
It's not much, and it won't make them übersoldiers, they can still be beaten fairly in woods or by gallic swordmen, hoplites or immortals.

I'm also planing to add so different skins/moddels. The Imperium Romanum mod has awesome units, I'll see if I swap some cool units, especially the hoplites, the ethnic swordmen, some cavalry for the greeks etc, just to enjoy the mod a little bit more ! :goodjob:

Good suggestions regarding the legionarii.

Cheers,
Sword

I really, really, really love this. I registered today just to tell you this.

Only some european 4000BC szenarios with different numbers of opponents and fixed starting positions.

A 300 BC scenario is at work.

Is there any way I can switch off or reduce garrisons from dying due to plague? It's starting to drive me nuts. Aren't you supposed to garrison your cities in this mod? Yet archers get city defender promotions.

Cheers,
Sword

hm. I was asked: "why the units must die through plague? this is unrealistic?"
I say: NO. That's the realism. Why should plague, and plague stands for all different deathly (ancient) deseases, do not concern units? EVERYONE ca be catched / befallen by a desease.
Not only soldiers became befallen by desease. Even Marc Auriel, a roman emperor, was befallen and died of it. Imagine that!
Quote: Accounts of armies that were depleted or defeated by bouts of infection stretch back to the ancient world, and epidemics have frequently ruined the plans and ambitions of military leaders. E.g the famous plague of the Greeks 430-436 BC. This plague had fatal economic consequences...

So, the only thing you can do and you should do is: KEEP HEALTHY.
Do not grow over 8 for plague. Leprosy is controllable with the leprosy colony, but plague isn't.
But I will put the chance a little bit lower, this will be more exiting...pressing for the next turn...

Top Bottom