Poll for Replay #10

Which leader shall I play in Replay #10?

• Total voters
Hey Seraiel, are you still planning to play this game? I'm anxious to see how it goes!!

You will have to wait a lot longer. The game alone will take me 100h at least, and I still wanted to play the preparation round in which I go against bcool. I also record the whole video at once, and add the audio-commentary later. This will take weeks to months, but better I make a good video, than if I push on it and bring out a normal "Let's play" in which I talk some useless stuff ^^ . Don't forget that this will be episode #10 of the Replays, it needs to become legendary. If I had played it right away, I wouldn't even have known that I'd want to play on Terra and without Vassals.

Major video Pangaea. Much more work than a writeup :whew: . I want to beat WastinTime's 1485 AD fastest non-Marathon-Spacerace on Deity and make Replay #10 out of it. Reasons for why this game now and not the Conquest game of Rusten above.

Looking forward too. Recently, I read Replay 9, and it was very interesting. More interesting was only your videos.

Seraiel, you have very deep understanding of the game and very good detailed argumentation on your actions. So, really enjoying for me to read or watch you. Now I am in the third wave of attempts to beat Deity (by strong win as conquest/domination). And I guess I will do it very soon. Your teaching did a huge impact on this. Another big impact are Abolutely Zero's videos, I would say that they are the major massive showing on Youtube about civ 4 Deity. So, we hope to see the fourh video from you :king:

Another big impact are Abolutely Zero's videos, I would say that they are the major massive showing on Youtube about civ 4 Deity. So, we hope to see the fourh video from you :king:

Thx for that big compliment. AZ's and my approaches towards Deity are very different, he mostly plays very fast and tries to win, while I try to make the best possible decision in every situation, which leads to me playing awefully slow sometimes, because simple tasks as moving one unit can often cause me having several thoughts which I all evaluate against each other. I know, that AZ was very dedicated though and he gave a lot to the community, both things I value very highly, and my writeups getting compared to his videos is a first time imho :) .

Replay #10 is still gonna take quite some time though, really, very much times. I just began on playing CIV again, after having paused with it for (I guess) half a year. It seems, that I still have many of the skills that I had and my fun while playing CIV even seems greater than before. I've decided to try out some GOTM's, because I always would have liked to have an Ephtalon. It's not as much an achievement like 2nd place in Elite Quattromaster, but GOTM has its own flair and its own challenges, and "if Lime has an Ephtalon, than Cereal must also have one" ^^ .

GOTM could actually be a very interesting theme / topic for an upcoming Replay. I could imagine a title like "A new world" which would be even better than "Legacy" . GOTM could also attract some people to watch the Replay, GOTM always seemed to attract more people, because several people were able to play given the same starting situation, HoF however always had many enemies, because people didn't understand, that it's basically the same, because even if the starts / maps are different, the heart of it is the competition against others, and given, that the map-generator also follows rules, the differences between the maps are smaller than most would imagine. The only real difference I find, is, that the element of randomness is even greater in GOTM than it is in HoF, because in HoF, one can 1. give up a game should randomness be too mean and 2. Chosing the map certifies certain things one values highly, like i. e. a 2nd city with good Food to run as a GP-Farm to generate a certain GP.
The greatest advantage that I'd see in taking a GOTM to record a video though is, that I seem to be able to play faster in GOTM than I did in HoF. In GOTM, I "only" need to beat the others, that may seem daunting for some, but it's actually a way easier task, than to play against onesself and try to really play perfectly. Maybe I'll revise this statement once I find, that GOTM actually has a WastingMoreTime, then I'd be lost.

Thx again though. Maybe there'll be a good GOTM in March or April, when I have semester break. Otherwise, the next possible time would be July 'til September. And I still need to write that ending for Replay #8 at some time, I cannot let that thread end without having told what happens in the end, which is that... ;) ;) ;) :D .

Speaking of GOTM, there is also something called SGOTM... and you happen to be on a team in case you forgot! :pat: :D

One thing that makes GOTM more interesting is if several people agree beforehand to shoot for the same victory condition. It's not nearly as fun to be the only one going for a certain victory condition. Sure, you're guaranteed a fastest finish award but how fun is that? I suggest that you post your intended victory condition in the pre-game thread and see if you can get some of the other top players to go for the same one. You might even lure WT in for a game or two!

Speaking of GOTM, there is also something called SGOTM... and you happen to be on a team in case you forgot! :pat: :D

One thing that makes GOTM more interesting is if several people agree beforehand to shoot for the same victory condition. It's not nearly as fun to be the only one going for a certain victory condition. Sure, you're guaranteed a fastest finish award but how fun is that? I suggest that you post your intended victory condition in the pre-game thread and see if you can get some of the other top players to go for the same one. You might even lure WT in for a game or two!

My feeling for time must be completely off, I thought that game was long over, and that I had stopped on playing 6 months ago, were that really only 2-3 months? Sign that a lot happened and a sign, that I missed CIV more than I thought.

I unfortunately may not post in the pre-discussion-thread anymore Mitchum, because I already played 'til 1AD and posted in the 1AD thread.

Thx for making me aware of this though :) . Regarding SGOTM, I think I'm just not the type of player for that, it's the 2nd out of 3 times, that I cannot fulfil the task that I have in a team. I'll try to look in the thread soon though, and will try to still give the best tips I can, and as I've not given up yet, I might even try and join TSR, Anti-TSR or whatever they call themselves at that time a 3rd time. <3

Geez this Germans... why they allways have to be such a perfectionist :lol:.

This is why I told you to better stay away from trying to beat my HoF games, which you called "rude" :pat: :lol: :goodjob: ;) .

Hi Seraiel!

I'm looking forward to your new video!

I've been gone from Civ IV for about 18 months. Sorry about not responding to your PMs.

I just noticed the new BUFFY mod for the Espionage game has been recently released.

I'm planning to play Civ IV HoF games again.

Great to see you have more or less stuck with the game while I was gone.

Have a great day! Happy New Year!

Sun Tzu Wu

Thx a lot for that STW <3 .

Yes, you must have been away for really long, as you seem to have forgotten, that my name is not Serial ^^ . Good to see you back though. You're a big part of HoF and I always liked your posts because one notices, how much work you put into them, like i. e. correcting them afterwards even while you already formulated them very well.

Happy XMas and a happy new year to you also :) .

(...)what speaks so much against CIV is, that it's almost impossible for me to become better than I was, because in the end, I went so far as to work to achieve certain results, so I worked instead of playing, and I even accepted suffering instead of joy(...)

Btw, iam glad that you decided to play some Gotm i wanted even to suggest that you can try it. You know just for fun.
Beocuse 1st of all, this game should be fun, we are not palying for living right.

I know that for You(Germans) it can be kind of hard :lol:, but even if you wont be that precise, like you were, for me and moust of community probably ... i think, it doesnt rly matter.
Even then your thoughts, strategies, posts are rly valueable and makes others players better so... just better to have you back and playing.

We all know that you are monster in CIV IV ;)

:newyear:

Thx for that big compliment. AZ's and my approaches towards Deity are very different, he mostly plays very fast and tries to win, while I try to make the best possible decision in every situation, which leads to me playing awefully slow sometimes, because simple tasks as moving one unit can often cause me having several thoughts which I all evaluate against each other. I know, that AZ was very dedicated though and he gave a lot to the community, both things I value very highly, and my writeups getting compared to his videos is a first time imho :) .

That's true. However, for studying I found both approaches very useful. So far, I want just normal conquest/domination Deity win and try to look what good Deity players usually do. In fact, in arcticles many things are not emphasazid (at least were not). And most things for myself I took from Deity videos and Deity writeups (solo games and succession games). For example, only recently I realized that building research/wealth is great, and it was based on your post and Duckweed's post in some recent neighbor thread. And that really helped a lot for hitting lib first.

I like to play fast and try to be based just on solid rules and principles. However, about 50% of the game you still need understand well enough for Deity. So, after every random fail I just go back and study-read-watch more. If I would play slowly and carefully and with calculations then it could be much more useful. But once I saw Civ 3 Sid's game of Moonsinger (she got incredible results in HOF of Civ 3) and the game was 400 hours. :cool: My maximal Civ 3 game was about 80 hours and I felt quite stressed about it. In Civ 4 serious games could be around 50-100 hours, usual standard games are about 10 hours which allows me to enjoy games without being stressed. And I appreciate maximal HOF games, I can quess how it can be difficult (even with some freedom in choices).

BtW, I voted for Frederick. Since he is not Spirital. Just interesting how you will effectively utilize his traits. On Spirital you greatly demonstrated it in Aztecs game in Replay 9.

Anyway, I will be waiting for any form of report of any game. It would be great if you would emphasize some moments which are not difficlut to do for most of people and which are very useful (even if something will be repeated). For example, to perform chains of Golden ages one should be realy master and calculate everything, but to get Alph and Currency asap and to build reseacrh/wealth one can easliy.

Top Bottom