1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(poll) What civs would you like to see in a hypothetical third expansion?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Krajzen, Feb 6, 2019.

?

What 8 civs would you like in a third expansion?

1. Babylon

74 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Portugal

85 vote(s)
    63.9%
  3. Maya

99 vote(s)
    74.4%
  4. Byzantium

82 vote(s)
    61.7%
  5. Ethiopia

71 vote(s)
    53.4%
  6. Italy

39 vote(s)
    29.3%
  7. Vietnam

57 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Morocco/Moors

30 vote(s)
    22.6%
  9. Assyria

32 vote(s)
    24.1%
  10. Austria

25 vote(s)
    18.8%
  11. Burma

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  12. Chola/Tamil

11 vote(s)
    8.3%
  13. Timurids

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  14. Armenia

20 vote(s)
    15.0%
  15. Afghanistan

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  16. Hittites

28 vote(s)
    21.1%
  17. Benin

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  18. Ashanti

14 vote(s)
    10.5%
  19. Swahilli

20 vote(s)
    15.0%
  20. Zimbabwe

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  21. Bulgaria

13 vote(s)
    9.8%
  22. Bohemia

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  23. Ireland

20 vote(s)
    15.0%
  24. Romania

16 vote(s)
    12.0%
  25. Goths

18 vote(s)
    13.5%
  26. Gran Colombia

28 vote(s)
    21.1%
  27. Mughals

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  28. Olmec, Toltec, Zapotec etc

8 vote(s)
    6.0%
  29. Navajo

42 vote(s)
    31.6%
  30. Native Americans - other than Navajo

45 vote(s)
    33.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Krajzen

Krajzen Warlord

After reading about Babylonian history more, I think I'd prefer them to not appear this time and their slot going to somebody else.

Sumer is very close to them culturally and geographically (it even took obvious Babylonian UI - ziggurat). In the same time, Sumer also took Assyria niche of "extremely early ancient era conquest + science bonus". On top of that, Babylon is not that badly represented by city state - the city itself was huge metropolis and had vast cultural influence, but for most of its history Babylon as empire was in the shadow od Assyrian empires, with its own imperial periods being very short. That empire of Hammurabi? Collapsed soon after his death after like 50 years. Neo-Babylonian - same.

I really think that slot should go to some interesting civ from more underrepresented part of the world COUGH Maghreb COUGH, Babylon is really very similar to Sumer in all aspects. Assuming we are going to get Maya, Portugal, Byzantium, Ethiopia, Native Americans, Vietnam and Italy - I'd really dislike if the last slot went to Sumer 2.0, leaving North Africa empty.

In civ5 it was Morocco, with very "desert lifestyle" focus, and I disliked that (it also had very mediocre music) but that region offers so much more. You could make civs called Moors, Andalusia, Berbers, Algeria, Tunis, Mauritania, or once again Morocco, and really this area has so much historical depth it can fulfill any gameplay niche, from science through agriculture to navy.

I'd be really disappointed if among 50 civilizations we got Canada but not this

Ohan likes this.
  2. britishash

britishash Chieftain

The two civs I really wanted too pick first in my top 8, the Icceni (Lead by Boudicca from civ 5) and Ancient Isreal are both not available to pick!!

So after reading through all the available civs, here are my top 5, that are not even vote options
    1) The Iceni - (If you ever go to Comic Con, Bouddica is still the most popular leader girl fans dress up as)
    2) Ancient Isreal/ Judah - so important to the Ancient history period
    3) A new version of a 'one-city ony' type civ like Venice from Civ 5, this time Vatican City, (but would be open to Troy)
    4) The Gauls - would be fun, seeing a 2nd leader for Rome going up against these guys
    5) The Huns - (they destroyed the Roman Empire, what more could you ask for?)

3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Please, never let Boudica be in the game again. If we absolutely must have the Britons with a female leader, let it be Cartimandua and let her not be a ridiculous romanticized stereotype like the previous games' depictions of Boudica.

No matter how narrowly or broadly you define the Roman Empire, this isn't really true. Putting a date on the fall of the Western Roman Empire is no simple task, but even the traditional date of 476 (the deposition of Romulus Augustulus) was several decades after Attila--and the Eastern Roman Empire would persist until 1453. To borrow a line from T.S. Eliot, (Western) Rome ended "not with a bang but a whimper."

4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Amen.
    IF we must have another Civ from the British Isles, the Irish, Welsh, or Picts all make better candidates - even Alfred as an alternative "English" leader would be a better idea.

The Huns were as close to a 'one shot wonder' as they come in world history. One leader: Attila (who guaranteed he'd be a singular leader by killing off his own brother, and left no effective heirs). I would argue that the best way to include the Huns in Civ VI would be as Barbarian Horse Archers with the ability to lower enemy units; factors (because the Huns scared the stuffing out of their European opponents) that can be hired by other Civs, as both the Eastern and Western Roman Empires hired them whenever they could.-Besides, with Scythians and Mongols both in the game already, we have enough non-nomadic city-building civ pretending to be historical nomads already.

Besides, the Roman Empire was destroyed by - Rome. By having a 'tax farming' system that guaranteed that the government never got enough taxes to continue funding the army adequately, while at the same time they hired 'cheap' barbarians which simply trained the barbarians in all the Roman combat techniques until they were good enough to beat the Romans literally 'at their own game'.

Zaarin likes this.
  5. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

My wish list

• Denmark led by Margret I - Can be an alternative leader for Sweden and Norway as well. I just want that Scandinavian trio in game.
    • Sami led by Lars Levi Læstadius - An interesting people due to being an European culture while still living "primitive" lifestyles due to their isolated position. Could be a different leader, there is no central figure in Sami history.
    • Portugal led by Afonso I - Portugal really deserves to be in civ, being one of the main catalysts for the age of discovery.
    • Kingdom of Benin led by Ewuare - Small trade focused kingdom on the African gold coast. I just find them interesting.
    • South Africa led by Nelson Mandela - SA is one of Africa's most advanced economies, and Mandela is an inspiration to us all.
    • Gran Colombia led by Simón Bólivar - An interesting South American nation that had a huge impact on the continent, but wouldn't last.
    • Mexico led by Agustín de Iturbide - A internationally recognisable North American country that stands out among the Latino countries.
    • Bactria led by Demetrius I - An Indo-Greek nation. How awesome is that?
    • Mughal Empire led by Babur - An interesting nation that was as varied in climate as in culture.
    • Babylon led by Nebuchadnezzar II - I need Babylon in my life.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019 at 3:36 AM
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Well, not all of us...

*Iranian-Greek. Considering Sogdia is sitting right next door and was not so heavily influenced by Greece as Bactria, I think they'd be the preferable Silk Road civilization. Civ7 doesn't need to be swimming in Hellenes and the Hellenized like Civ6 is.

7. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

I picked Bactria because I find their merging of eastern and Greek culture to be fascinating, and Demetrius I because he expanded his kingdom further into India. That Bactria happens to lie on the silk road is nothing I took into consideration when I wrote the list :p

8. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Chieftain

Glad to see the Sámi appear in another wishlist. I've been suggesting Elsa Laula Renberg as a potential leader. South Sámi activist who was very active in politics during her lifetime. The Sámi National Day takes its date, February 6th, from the day the first Sámi assembly began, which she initiated, and her granddaughter, who is alive today, was quoted by the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation as saying "I don't understand what that woman was made of." A statue of her was unveiled fairly recently, too. Plus, she's a woman, which fits nicely with Firaxis' desire to include more female leaders, if that's what they said - I don't remember exactly. But it makes up a miniscule part of why Elsa Laula is qualified, in my opinion. The amount of work she did should be a clear indicator that she was a very interesting personality.

I'll admit I originally thought that Læstadius wasn't Sámi himself, but it seems like his mother was South Sámi and his father was Swedish. And he spoke both of their languages, plus Northern Sámi and Finnish. He seems like a very interesting person, too.

9. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

Elsa seems like a better choice since she was politically active, unlike Læstadius. By the way, what do you think should be the sami unique unit? Thinking about it gives me a headache, since the sami to my knowledge never ever fought a war :lol:

Maybe a unique early era shaman that acts as a medic? With a magic drum and all!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019 at 9:48 PM
  10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Yes, but I was saying IMO the fact that Bactria was Hellenized is an excellent reason to not pick them. We already have Pericles, Gorgo, Alexander, and Cleopatra for Hellenic or Hellenistic leaders. Sogdia has the advantage of being considerably less Hellenized than Bactria (though one cannot avoid some degree of Hellenization in Central Asia of that period, but at least the Sogdians retained their language and were as much influenced by India and China as they were the West). :p

11. ButtBillionaire

I thought the same - the Noaidi, to be more specific.

12. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

And what place do you think should be the capital? We have a number of towns in Sweden with Sami origin, they used to be old seasonal trading spots that later grew into towns when the merchants settled permanently. Towns such as Lycksele (Liksjovvene), Jukkasjärvi (Cohkkiras), Gällivare (Vahtjer), Jokkmokk (Dalvvadis) and many more. All of these towns are rather small, Lycksele has a population of 10 000 for instance. Kiruna (Giron) could be an alternative, with a population of 20 000 and being slightly more known, though personally I think that their history is more strongly tied to that of the Finns.

I do not know much about towns of Sami origin in Norway though, but since Norway got by far the largest Sami population I assume some of them could be quite large?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019 at 8:07 PM
  13. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

We do have a lot of Greeks to choose from. Sadly my knowledge of the non-Hellenic states in that region is very weak :( but I guess any cultural crossroads nation from that part of the world could do it for me

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Sogdia (Iranian), Kushan (Iranian), and Qara Khitai (para-Mongolian) are probably some of the better choices IMO. Some of the later Persianized Turkic states like the Ilkhanate could work, too.

15. ButtBillionaire

Norway is quite sparsely populated in general, so I'm afraid you'd be mistaken. In fact, I think a significant portion of the Sámi population in Norway live in Oslo. We do have towns of Sámi origin, too, but they are all smaller than both Lycksele and Kiruna. The town I've been suggesting as capital is Kárášjohka (or Karasjok in Norwegian), which was also used as capital in the Civ5 Sámi mod. The Sámi Parliament of Norway and several other Sámi institutions are located there. Alternatively I suppose the towns where the other Sámi parliaments are located could work, too. In other words, Aanaar (Inari in Finnish) in Finland or, like you said, Giron in Sweden.

The capital could also be leader-based. Elsa Laula seemed to have been mostly active from Mosjøen in Norway, or Mussere in her native language, while Læstadius was mostly active from Pajala. (which doesn't seem to have a Sámi name)

16. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Sogdia were the primary Middle Men trading the Silk Road - they are mentioned frequently in Chinese texts as traders, merchants, and caravan guards and guarantors, and seem to have dominated the east-west traffic. The Great or Golden Horde also made a good thing out of being astride the routes north of the Caspian Sea, but they are far too similar to their Mongol predecessors for my taste as a separate Civ. The original Central Asia go-betweens in trade from China to the west seem to have been the cities of the Taklamakhan basin, but they don't appear to have ever formed a single political unit: another 'City State' civ, which the Civ game really doesn't model well at all.

Zaarin likes this.
  17. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Indeed. That is why I've wanted them in the game for some time and why I think they're the ideal Central Asian/Silk Road civ.

At some point in history that would be the Tocharians, right? That would be interesting...and rather bold of Firaxis.