[R&F] Poll: which are the last 4 R&F civs?

Which are the last four expansion civs to be revealed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd still like to see something more for Africa and South America though.

Yes, I want at least one African and one South American Civ in this expansion.

My biggest beef with the Zulus is Firaxis' inevitable one-dimensional approach of always making them 100% warmonger. I feel this should be avoided with indigenous cultures, as it promotes stereotypes.

I kind of disagree. Zulus under the rule of Shaka were extremely militaristic. They depopulated large areas, caused the death of millions of people and the whole society was extremely militaristic. Im not saying that all their abilities must be about war, but making them militaristic Civ is historically accurate.

Last edited:
It is interesting that Georgia wasn't in the top three. There will be tough competition for any dark horse to break the expected Ottoman/Inca/W. Africa bloc in the next poll, unless people buy into the Zulu/Celt leak.

By the way, I voted for Georgia, Ottoman Empire, Mali and Inca Empire.

My choices were more Eurocentric.....Georgia, Ottomans, Italy, and the Celts. :p

Remember that Georgia being previewed tomorrow doesn't necessarily proof the leaker wrong. He only has information on Civlopedia, and doesn't know anything about the order of FL videos. I just read through his thread on the Chinese forum again, and he does sound kind professional when responding to feedbacks about Chinese localization (that's what the thread was originally for, anyways). I trust that he does work for 2K/Firaxis. But then again, he might me trolling about the Zulus/Brave Heart.

My guess would be Georgia, Zulus (as per the leaker), Inca and Ottoman, with Wallace as a great general since the leaker didn't mention Celt/Scot civ, and GG's also appear on Civlopedia, which he might have translated.

*sigh* A few days ago I was certain I'd win this poll. I didn't get Georgia. And I could be wrong on 2 others if that "leak" turns out to be true. My list would have been much better.

If Zulus are in I will be very disappointed.

I love West African history and it has many potential civs, I especially counted on Mali or maybe Ashanti.

I strongly dislike Zulus, my second most hated meme of civ after gandhi. I'm sorry but they were honestly very primitive, morally questionable (they caused Mfecane - genocide), and made very short lived very tiny state. Meanwhile there were so many advanced civilizations in West Africa!... I have a "conspiracy theory" that the reason Zulus were in civ1 to begin with (and only black civ till civ4 :d) was because they sort of reinforce stereotype of "noble savage" which is so popular in regards to subsaharan Africa. Half naked man with a spear who was noble warrior but then defeated by white man firearms? Popculture sees all black africa this way. Rich emperor (Mansa Musa, Ethiopia) or woman (Nzinga, Asantewaa, Amina, Nubia) or guy with a musket (Ashanti) or maritime civ (Swahilli) - threaten this stereotype.

Last edited:
So that leaves only 3 more to be revealed. My hopes are still for Inca, an African Civ (preferably Mali or Songhai) & perhaps Polynesia......though as long as my first 2 are in, then I am flexible in relation to the 3rd.

Hoping the leak is total bs. Should be Ottomans and Incans for sure. The last one is a toss up but the collective Italy evidence and speculation is starting to have me convinced, although I hope it’s Cosimo/Florence or a Papal states oriented civ to start, and not Genoa

I'm really thinking there is a strong possibility for Dido of Phoenicia, though they will probably have her as leader of the Carthaginians specifically, rather than the whole Phoenician civilization.

If Zulus are in I will be very disappointed.
I would quite pleased, but I'm also doubtful they'd be included.

I'm sorry but they were honestly very primitive, morally questionable (they caused Mfecane - genocide), and made very short lived very tiny state.
Well, that's the thing about wars. They really aren't very ethical in most cases. But, I'm quite afraid that arguing about ethics and whether we should consider the morality of leader choices would spiral out of control.

Again.

Meanwhile there were so many advanced civilizations in West Africa!... I have a "conspiracy theory" that the reason Zulus were in civ1 to begin with (and only black civ till civ4 :d) was because they sort of reinforce stereotype of "noble savage" which is so popular in regards to subsaharan Africa. Half naked man with a spear who was noble warrior but then defeated by white man firearms? Popculture sees all black africa this way. Rich emperor (Mansa Musa, Ethiopia) or woman (Nzinga, Asantewaa, Amina, Nubia) or guy with a musket (Ashanti) or maritime civ (Swahilli) - threaten this stereotype.
I think it's most likely that the Zulus were chosen due to the fact that South Africa was quite lonely in the original Civilization, and the Zulus were a fairly famous people group from the region. Fascination with the Zulus over other South African tribes, though admittedly extant because of their conflicts with the British, has been around for a while and is still carrying some amount of force to it.

I'm really thinking there is a strong possibility for Dido of Phoenicia, though they will probably have her as leader of the Carthaginians specifically, rather than the whole Phoenician civilization.
That would make me happy with her capital being Tyre, but I don't know how likely it would be. Maybe she could have two capitals as a LUA.:think:
In that case, sorry Hannibal, we have enough Elephant unique units anyway.

That would make me happy with her capital being Tyre, but I don't know how likely it would be. Maybe she could have two capitals as a LUA.:think:
In that case, sorry Hannibal, we have enough Elephant unique units anyway.
Indeed, no more elephants are necessary (except for in the wild, of course). I like the idea of a civ having the ability to have 2 capitals...That could be an interesting ability, although hopefully not OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom