Pope Francis On Gays: Who Am I To Judge Them?

Which sin are homosexuals committing?

Why is the OT so adamantly anti-homosexuals?

All sex outside of wedlock is a sin
Only a man and a woman can get married (there are other restrictions).

On the contrary, the Church upholds the principle of love the sinner, hate the sin.
It's hypocritical when you regard:

"This theme always comes up ... I believe this is a time of mercy, a change of epoch. It's a kairos moment for mercy ... In terms of Communion for those who have divorced and remarried, it has to be seen within the larger pastoral context of marriage. When the council of eight cardinals meets Oct. 1-3, one of the things they'll consider is how to move forward with the pastoral care of marriage. Also, just 15 days ago or so, I met the secretary of the Synod of Bishops, and maybe it will also focus on the pastoral care of marriage. It's complicated."

Only a man and a woman can get married (there are other restrictions).

The Bible says also that a raped woman must marry her rapist.

The Bible says also that a woman whose husband dies must marry his brother or be regarded as a sinful woman forevermore. If he has no brothers, she doesn't even get that option.

Let's go ahead and honor those things too. It's in the Bible, after all!

[[This poster is on an anti-religious bent at the moment due to a personal issue, and will probably regret everything he says here tomorrow. You have been warned.]]

^ As is known the old testament often has a conflicting meaning with the new testament. A good example is the phrase in the old testament "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth" and the one in the new testament about turning the other cheek if one suffers a hit.

If you have a problem with that, you should take it up with God.
You mean take it up with whoever actually wrote those passages in the Bible? Why would this god possibly care given that he ostensibly created us with free choice? Why would various animals practice homosexuality?

^ As is known the old testament often has a conflicting meaning with the new testament. A good example is the phrase in the old testament "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth" and the one in the new testament about turning the other cheek if one suffers a hit.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."
--Matthew 5:17

He doesn't. That's just pre-modern English for you.

Well, early modern English, at any rate. Early C17th. Although was it written intentionally slightly archaically for the time?

It means that a law cannot be destroyed. It can be satisfied. It can also be broken (choice).

It is not always expedient to brake such laws. In some cases God takes away choice, and one is forced to brake a law.

There is no human reasoning that can explain why God would have some laws to begin with, but life is what it is. I am pretty sure that if such laws were just man made, man as a whole would have abolished such laws a long time ago, when they realized how absurd they were.

You mean take it up with whoever actually wrote those passages in the Bible? Why would this god possibly care given that he ostensibly created us with free choice? Why would various animals practice homosexuality?

VRWCAgent said:
[*]God thinks homosexual sex is wrong, so it must be I guess. I don't know why and I don't get that, but that's where it is. However, we're not a theocracy. Wanna go have gay sex? knock yourself out, that's between you and God. Sure, I think it's gross, but so is eating snails and plenty of people do that.

There was a reason I told you to bring it up with God. I don't know why he feels the way he does about it. And no, I meant take it up with God. Don't twist my words to make them fit your whacked view of biblical source.

There was a reason I told you to bring it up with God. I don't know why he feels the way he does about it. And no, I meant take it up with God. Don't twist my words to make them fit your whacked view of biblical source.

Don't bring it up with Old Testament God though, Marcion says that dude was a total douchebag. New Testament God should be all right with it though.

Dharma and Greg said:
Old Testament: Don't mess with God.
New Testament: Jesus loves you.

But then we get into the whole Jesus/God Trinitarian/Unitarian thing. ;)

Don't you think it might be a good idea to question "why God feels the way he does"?

Aren't you just a little bit curious?

Or is yours a purely mechanical kind of faith: oh look it says here so and so, well that must be right, then?

Do you think that God can regret?

What in the world makes you think I never wonder about anything God says or does? Me wondering about it, though, doesn't change anything. He's still God and still feels a certain way about something. That's really all that matters.

Top Bottom