1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poster clues

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Giskler, Apr 11, 2013.

1. killmontieasap

killmontieasap Chieftain

yeah. i was thinking maybe they could be the same fort improvement with era/civ flavors. or perhaps the forts give tourism boosts after they "turn into castles."

well, this speculation is at least a little less outlandish than my "coordinates" theory :crazyeye:

2. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

:D This obsession with canals... (just teasing ;) )

--

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that this "fortified trading-post" is in fact related to the new trade route concept.

As others pointed out, protecting trade routes effectively with units migth eat up the gains of the respective route (at least to a certain extend).
    While my speculation above (regarding how those improvements could work) are not very convincing, I had some new ideas in the meantime.

I feel, that trading units will have at least some defence against raiders. Maybe just as much as workers can defend themself when attacked.
    What I can imagine are two possible game mechanics:
    - a "traderoute-fortification-improvement" gives a bonus on this defence-ability, when built on a tile that lies on the trade route. This will count to the traderoute itself and will not be dependend on where the caravan unit actually is attacked. Multiple bonuses could very well stack to represent heavily guarded trade routes.
    - a "traderoute-fortification-improvement" gives a bonus on this defence-ability, when the trading-unit is in its range (maybe 2 tiles).

I think, if this is not how the pictured building works, we should have something like this...

3. Avatan

Avatan Warlord

The Chateau de Chambord like building could be the new French UB, a unique palace with two GW slots to go along the UA...

I don't know what to think about the fact that they now change completely some UA by the way. I guess France left them no choice with the complete overhaul of the culture system and the deflation of culture output.

4. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

They seem more generic to me than a unique improvement for a specific Civ. I mean there are several on the poster so that would either imply that multiple Civs would be getting these unique improvements or one Civ would be getting a mass assortment. Both seem unlikely, so I'd guess they are available to all in some form.

5. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

Having had the best look at the poster, I can say I definitely think it looks just like the existing rivers in-game.

6. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

The mystery is solved:

The castle IS an actual tile improvement:

I guess, the motte-and-bailey castle is it's ancestor. I'm looking forward to the rest.

7. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Wait, is that a Portuguese Nau? And the Castle has a dock?

8. Jabberwockxeno

Jabberwockxeno Prince

9. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

It seems to be an improvement the Portuguese can build in city-states, possibly to obtain a bonus from their resources.

10. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

The mysterious castle beneath Isabella seems to be an tile improvement, too.

Possibly a new Great Person improvement? Or something available only for France? (More likely!)

@Uberfrog: Good catch! I think you are right - in both pictures, the structure is built in a CS's territory!

11. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

In the Archaeologist screenshot, it is clearly also a Portuguese Worker building it in that neighbouring CS.

I wonder, if the Chateau is a French UB, which UU they removed.

13. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

I'm getting the feeling that France is getting a serious overhaul.
    Now that two buildings from the poster seem to be tied to civs, does that mean the Motte&Bailley and the other unknown building are tied to new or old civs as well?

14. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Would be cool if they overhaul other civs as well then. They could get rid of the Zero from Japan for instance.

15. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Nooooo!
    Leave the Zero be, I like that unit!
    Do something about India instead...

16. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Really? I hate all the civs with two UUs, they can cut all the secondary UUs and add something more interesting instead. Then again, I'm not much of a warmonger so I might be biased :p

17. MaximusK

MaximusK Warlord

18. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Makes me wonder, if this is truly a new French UI, which UU they'll cut. Probably the French Foreign Legion or they could cut both and give France completely new UU. Maybe a Chevalier to go with the Château. :crazyeye:

19. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Its a good question

Some people have been asking for an improvement of Denmark. Perhaps the Motte&Bailey will be incorporated into Denmark?

20. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

Ditching that stupid Norwegian Ski Infantry? One can hope. Though if they were going to change Denmark, I'd just assume they drop all pretenses of it being anything other than Vikings. Quick, which one of these is not like the other?

A. Harald Bluetooth
    B. Viking Fury
    C. Berserker
    D. Norwegian Ski Infantry

If you've circled D., you're correct.

Personally, I'd replace D. with a Longboat. Would replace a Trireme and would allow you to sail onto land tiles that border a river. Animation would look weird, but it would be cool, no?