Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

OOC: Oh God, the Solar Federation? What a tacky name...

OOC: Oh God, the Solar Federation? What a tacky name...
OOC: Oh God, criticism from Proto-Imperial Space China? What devastating critique...

OOC: Chand agrees with me about your tacky name :p

OOC: Awesome. Then why don't you design a name that is sufficiently descriptive yet also generic and general enough to convey the scope of a Solar government and possibly be ratified by over 200 nations? Oh, right, because you couldn't make a name that didn't extol the virtues of being Chinese. I get it. Silly me! :p

Now if you're done being a jackass for the sake of being a jackass, you can go back to being an insignificant little puppet now.

OOC: And thus did it become obvious why virtually nobody ever bothers making creative work for games.

OOC: Awesome. Then why don't you design a name that is sufficiently descriptive yet also generic and general enough to convey the scope of a Solar government and possibly be ratified by over 200 nations? Oh, right, because you couldn't make a name that didn't extol the virtues of being Chinese. I get it. Silly me! :p

Now if you're done being a jackass for the sake of being a jackass, you can go back to being an insignificant little puppet now.

OOC: Well, I feel that Solar Federation is a "tacky" name because it goes against it's name. It naturally encompasses more than one solar system and gives the impression that it's more of a federation of solar systems than of a federation of nations in one solar system. A more appropriate name (in my opinion) would be something with more of the unifying theme of Humanity (because frankly even without Europe and the PRC, that's basically humanity.)

But of course symphony, you know how much I adore you. ;) But really, the whole extolling of all things Chinese was a low blow! :p

OOC: Well, I feel that Solar Federation is a "tacky" name because it goes against it's name. It naturally encompasses more than one solar system and gives the impression that it's more of a federation of solar systems than of a federation of nations in one solar system. A more appropriate name (in my opinion) would be something with more of the unifying theme of Humanity (because frankly even without Europe and the PRC, that's basically humanity.)
OOC: Incorrect. It gives an impression of being a unification of the Sol System, of which "Solar" is the proper term, with "ar" functioning with "Sol" much like "n" does with "Russia."

Any other system is properly termed a star system, because they are not Sol. And for the record, other than as accommodated for by their respective governments (for example, Zenit has a seat on the Russian Duma), the others aren't part of the government. They are colonies, and they're acknowledged as such. The reason that's OK and not a raw deal is because we're pumping trillions of dollars into them and getting nothing in return except future trading partners a few centuries in the future. This government only directly represents one system, and a very specific one at that, which is spelled out in its name

So, to summarize, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about. Any other misconceptions you'd like clarified? Care to try again? :p Hell, you probably think "Human Reformation League" is a great name or something...

OOC: I concede defeat due to my many numerous mistaken assumptions :p Though I retain my ability to criticize/mock/ridicule myself/other actions after more information is posted ;)

EDIT: What exactly is wrong with the Human Reformation League? Or the League of Man? Or the League of Humanity? :p

Frankly I don't see what the problem is, other than that old one with the USA and the American continent(s). It makes sense to me, as far as names go.

Frankly I don't see what the problem is, other than that old one with the USA and the American continent(s). It makes sense to me, as far as names go.

OOC: Well, it just sounds tacky. I don't know how to explain it. :confused::crazyeye:

Hang on- I intended to play as India. Why did the stats list me as a colonial governor?
(If I can't play as India, I'll play as Olympia instead)

Hang on- I intended to play as India. Why did the stats list me as a colonial governor?
(If I can't play as India, I'll play as Olympia instead)

Ah, I'm sorry, I probably should've made that more clear - mainland India isn't significant enough to merit a player all to itself, so the spot mostly represents the colony on Hastinapur, with only incidental control over India itself. With the recent developments involving the Solar Federation, this would be downplayed even more.

That said, Olympia probably needs a governor more than Hastinapur does, so you're more than welcome to join there (assuming that Lord Iggy doesn't object).

OOC: Well, it just sounds tacky. I don't know how to explain it. :confused::crazyeye:
OOC: Alright, let me explain where I approach it from. When you see something like this (1:58 - 2:02) and you see that "UNITED STATES" in vertical scroll by, it just looks and feels right. I picture the same thing, only with "SOLAR FEDERATION" and it similarly just looks and feels right. The difference is instead of a rocket, it would be a kilometer long spacecraft, and then the camera would pan up into a scene that would make George Lucas drool.

That, and realistically, you need to either start with "Solar" or end with "of Sol"--the only realistic alternative to "Federation" with the former was "Commonwealth" and that evokes too many memories of You Know Who to be useful. "of Sol" is tacky and begs to be turned into something derivative and amateurish like "United States of Sol" or something.

I originally wanted "Confederation" just because I got to liking calling the IC "Confed" but that really just doesn't describe the government at all. "Solar League" sounds too much like "Solarian League" and anything associated with the Honorverse can go crawl in a hole an die. Ad nauseum. If you genuinely don't like it, oh well.

Maybe I'll withdraw for now.

OOC: I may have reservations about the semantics, but I have to say that the presentation was second to none I've seen. :hatsoff: to Symphony for that. Incredible quality. :thumbsup:

@BL: How many "justs" are we up to now? :mischief:

Top Bottom