1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview - NinNES III: Birth of an Empire

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Nintz, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bonefang

bonefang Emperor

I am guessing Heruli-Mesoczat wouldn't be there ? :(

2. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Actually, I'm going to express interest in one of the Iberian factions. Can I get more information about that region?

3. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

The first rise of Persis.

The start of Persis's first rise to power can be traced back to Assyria's failed invasion and the subsequent collapse. The scope of the victory in the war, including the acquisition of several of the larger Assyrian cities, was not something the Persis's tribes were prepared to rule over. Though the difficulties were quite easy to overcome and were just memories within a generation, The efforts sent ripples thorough their scocity for over a century to come.

One of the most obvious of these ripples was the rise of the clan Iscorat, for a simple merchant clan around the time of the Assyrian war to the Power behind the Persis throne four generations later. The First mention of them in the Persis history was during the war, in which the manage to convince the Assyrian port city of (?name?) to surrender after a minimal siege, in exchange for not being sacked and a few other terms not known to history.

This feat would serve them well after the war, letting them become one of the clans who were to rule this port city. It was from here their influence and power would grow and spread to all of Persis. It was here that they gathered the ships for the first great expedition that made their fortune, and whose results would shape the future of Persis itself..

OOC:
    a brief insight, and how I hope to shape Persis. Mostly a monarchy early on, though quickly shifts to a monarchy with a Heavy merchant rule behind the throne. With the only reason the merchants do not directly rule the nation being social/cultural values. Iscorat is likely to marry in to the ruling clan, and eventually get their name to the throne, but that's 2-3 turns down the line.

anyway, next up, a blip on radar, the first great expedition..
    and #@$@$ Formating messes up. ahhrrggh. no indents. right. will fix that later.

4. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

They've migrated a bit west and have mixed a lot with Germans, but the descendants are still there. They're just less nomadic.

5. Nintz

Andalusia is a Moorish kingdom, used to be part of Tetwan (Morocco). It is easily the strongest and most developed of the nations. They are currently at peace with, though have fairly poor relations with both of their neighbors. Leon and Aragon. Unless anyone has better names that is.

Regardless, the green eastern faction are natives who are allied to Phoenicia. Phoenicia has a city along their coastline, and this particular group chose peaceful conduct rather than aggressive, allowing them to expand somewhat.

The Western faction of Leon is a very new nation, by recently united a handful of independent states under one banner.

Galicia is a largely uneventful region, as is Vasconia.

All 4 factions are majority Celtic in this TL, as opposed to Latins.

Iberia is, for the most part, open to what you want to do with it. Fairly little predefined history in the area.

6. Arrow Gamer

Arrow Gamer America's Dictator

Due to lack of response from Mythmonster, can I assume leadership of Phoenicia?

And are we allowed to explore things off the map?

7. Nintz

I haven't checked with him yet. As soon as I do, I'll let you know.

And...yes. I'm going to say yes. But only as expeditions, no conquering/colonizing off the map.

8. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

No, cause the cross isn't an egyptian punishment at all. Damn "easy," we're going realistic. :p

9. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Okay then, I'll claim Andalusia, unless somebody else had it.

10. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

11. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Civilization

Axumite (Aksumite) Kingdom

Demonym​

The Semitic-speaking people are called Aksumite (because the capital was Aksum or Axum) or Habash (Abyssinians).

Economy

Axum empire bordered one of the greatest ancient times arteries of commerce: Red Sea (Adulis).
    The Aksumite then had access to both the Europe and Asia (mainly India).
    Compared to the ptolemaic Egypt where the riches came from the agricultural feats of the Nile Valley, Ethiopia’s economy came from exploitation of the highlands and commerce from the Red Sea.

Unique to the rest of Africa, Axum kingdom produced its own coinage. That coinage allowed the historians to elaborate a chronology of the ethiopian history.

The prosperity of the Axum empire comes from great and expensive luxuries: turtle-shells (Dahlak Islands near Adulis), obsidians (Red Sea islands), ivory (Nile valley), incense, emeralds (Beja lands), gold gotten from salt trades (Sudan), cattle and iron.
    Animal furnitures were probably part in trades like civets. Not forgetting exotic spices.

Aksum empire imports wines, olive oil, clothes, iron, glass and objects of precious metals.

Military​

In the early AD period, Aksumites managed to gather a certain hegemony of surrounding Ethiopian people through most probably a military superiority and wealth thanks to the two main commercial arteries (Blue Nile and Red Sea).

The Aksumite military grew enough strong to capture a part of Felix Arabia in the end of the second century and beginning of the third century AD.

In the aksumite towns, the evident lack of walls show the pacific climate in which the ethiopians lived, although inscription described several revolts from subordinate tribes.

Architecture

Compared to most Africa below the Sahara, Axum reached a high level of knowledge and sophistication. Their ceramics and architectures were impressive and original.

Axum empire’s agricultural potential was much stronger than it is today in the modern times. They used irrigation, water-storage and terracing-techniques, allowing urban communities to grow large.

The most known architectural symbol of Axum is their carved monoliths, still standing today to commemorate their dead rulers.

Aksumite were great quarrymen, engineers and stone-carvers. Sometimes, they manipulate the biggest single stone material of the Ancient Times.

Culture​

The paucity of writings made their civilization elusive to history.
    The vocalization of the Ge`ez allowed a legacy of written material, the ethiopic script.
    During the third century AD, there were three scripts (Ge`ez in cursive form and ESA, Greek) and two languages (Ge`ez and Greek).

Religion

In the second quarter of the fourth century, the king Ezana who was a worhipper of what resembles to greek deities was converted to Christianity. At that point, coinage shows the support for the new religion.

Foreign Relationships

The aksumite at its origin was strongly influenced by the Sabean civilization located at the other shore of the Red Sea, in Felix Arabia. Architecture, religion and cultural features showed that. (~500 BCE).

Ethiopia was never mentioned anywhere in the Roman empire.
    Axum empire was sufficiently remote to never be in direct conflict with the Persian Empire nor the Roman one. Even Egypt, Felix Arabia and Meroë didn’t send expeditions to Axum.

At the rise of Islam, islamists owed to Aksumites for giving shelther to the earliest followers of Muhammad. Still, the ethiopian kingdom remained independent.

With the Ptolemaic Egypt, the Aksumite became sufficiently Hellenized to employ Greek language.

The adoption of Christianity helped the relationship of Aksum towards the late Roman empire, but not in the slavish manner for political ends.

Kingship​

Ethiopian rulers were called negusa nagast, meaning king of the kings.

12. Manco Capac

Is that what needed for NES?

13. Nintz

Looks good to me. :goodjob:

I'll read it in more detail later.

14. Manco Capac

BTW, it's not invented facts. I took it from the PDF I mentioned a bit earlier.

15. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

Just a couple of things, FYI. TTL, there's no Alexandrian Macedonian Empire, Roman Empire, or Persian Empire. As such, there was no such 'Hellenization' happening in Egypt, Anatolia, Persia, Mesopotamia, or really anywhere else excepting a few minor Greek colonies.

Also, Tamiatan Christianity, anyone?

16. Manco Capac

Aren't we starting like in 0 AD, thus Roman empire was still in place. I'm confused.

I see the maps do include after roman empire fall.

BTW, can I have a map for Axum?

17. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

TTL meaning This TimeLine, for clarification. Our timeline diverged a while ago, as you can see by the map on the first page.

18. Manco Capac

0TL for not knowing TTL :p

19. Manco Capac

Ok, I'm realizing big empires would lead to an unbalance between players. That is why it's an alternate story more or less spousing the real history.

20. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

Spoiler :

Here.