1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview - NinNES III: Birth of an Empire

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Nintz, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

Egypt controls Jerusalem. Use them.

2. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

If we're going with Egypt, I'd like a bit of a say in how Jesus is executed (As Crucifixion is not Egyptian) :p

Following tradition (one which will allow for Jesus to be resurrected, so that the Myth goes on as expected) Jesus will be drowned in a river, which will make the river be a symbol of christianity in this TL.

"What is dead cannot die"

3. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

That works. Anyone opposed to the Egyptian Drowning of Jesus?

Note: We need a symbol that isn't a cross then.

4. thomas.berubeg

Edited the previous post: The River itself? (Can also come to represent the passage to the Afterlife, as it is in Egyptian Mythology) I can truly see Egyptian mythology having a significant influence on Christian beliefs here.

5. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

Not really if we are approaching this from a historical stand point. Some others may have a problem with it though.

6. Arrow Gamer

Arrow Gamer America's Dictator

I, a Christian, have no problem, so I don't see why anyone should.

Are we allowed to explore what is outside the map?

7. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

As opposed to drowning him in a river, how about the Dead Sea? :p

8. thomas.berubeg

Cause it was based on the even more ancient Egyptian practice of drowning in the Nile, which was exported as "Drown in whatever handy river is nearby." I've got no sources to back this up, but I suspect it has something to do with the place of the river in Egyptian Cosmology in relation to life and death.

9. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

Some of the legends behind Ra, god of the sun, involve him guiding the sun across the sky during the day before dying at night and floating across a river in the underworld before being reborn at daybreak.

10. thomas.berubeg

"RENDER UNTO PHARAOH WHAT BELONGS TO PHARAOH, AND TO GOD WHAT BELONGS TO GOD!"

Heh, this version of Christianity will probably have a much bigger appeal amongst Jews than OTL

11. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

To give a proper execution where the victim would go to the afterlife, no? To drown someone in a dead, salty ocean would make them essentially completely devoid of all life to the Egyptians, methinks. Just a thought, though.

12. thomas.berubeg

And souls of the dead were ferried along a great river to be judged.

13. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

I really hope you don't make Jesus vengeful. Not to mention that the Romans don't get any trouble for killing Jesus in real life.

14. thomas.berubeg

We'll see where the religion goes, i'm likely going to adopt it as a state religion, or incoporate it into the egyptian way as soon as I can, but, we'll see how it goes.

15. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

Going the pat of the Romans with this one? Well good luck, hopefully we see some good RP out of it.

16. arya126

arya126 Squad Leader

You could keep the cross if you drowned him by throwing him into the river on a weighted cross or something. Avoid changing too much. I as a Christian have no problem with it being changed for the purposes of this game, however it would likely be easier to keep as much the same as possible.

17. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Indeed, completely new to Never Ending Stories. So will you post screenies then of what happened.

18. Bair_the_Normal

Bair_the_Normal 全は禪

You might want to note that NESes are mostly completely irrelevant to any game of Civ.

19. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

Yeah.. Persis or Medea look quite well. Going to read the updates in the last thread to get a feel for which one to grab. favoring Persis right now because of the ocean border, and the potential of trade that means, so mark me down for it now.

Edit: yhea.. Defenitly going with Persis. recent influx of territory to cause internal ripples, not much definition, and very good position to expand from..

20. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

I have a solution for the army issue.

Each nation has a standard army unit of a standard cost. To somewhat flavor it, these standard units are differentiated via an army description stat.

The UU system will be completely separate, but the existence of the army description allows basic compositional and training/cultural differences while keeping prices and sizes in check.

This is the system in TerraNES part 2. Even if this is not the right idea for you, it can possibly get you on the right track to a better solution.

Good luck!