1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview: Star Trek Mod 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Imrahiel

Imrahiel Chieftain

Hi.
    I have some ideas for new models who could make the mod better:

K'Vort Class
    Scimitar
    Sabre Class
    Steamruner Class
    Oberth Class
    Danube Class
    Cruiser Class from ENT
    Intrepid Class ENT
    Jem'Hadar Heavy Battelship firstly shown in `Valiant`

2. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Here's a preview of the unique units:

Fesarius (First Federation, replaces Exploration I)
    +1 additional strength

Cestus (Gorn, replaces Light I)
    Free Navigation I

Webspinner (Tholian, replaces Light II)
    2 first strikes

Defiant (Terran Empire, replaces Light I)
    Does Collateral Damage

Negh'Var (Alliance, replaces Light VI)
    +2 additional strength

If you haven't guessed by now, the civ with no UU is the Vaadwaur. Instead, the Vaadwaur have the Subspace Corridors technology, which allows them to build the Subspace Corridors route (think roads/Warp Lanes from Final Frontier).

3. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

welcome back ships captain Jaydn

4. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

I've got two questions about the Terran Empire: 1st: will their ships be the same as Federation ships, but with the cool yellow sh*t? Even though we never saw a mirror-Galaxy or Intrepid, it's reasonable to assume they would have that yellow stuff as well.
    2nd: shouldn't their UU replace the Warp 5 Ship? After all, In a Mirror, Darkly was set in the Enterprise era. You could make it as strong and fast as a Light 1, meaning the Terran Empire will become THE rush civ, which is consistent with their nature in the series, as the apparently conquered the Vulcans, Andorians, Orions and Denobulans within 90 years of their first warp flight.

5. deanej

deanej Chieftain

As far as I know the yellow stuff was only seen on their NX class ships (but I don't have any screenshots from the remastered version of Mirror, Mirror so I can't verify this). For now I'm just using the Federation units but have mentioned the idea of a retexture to Jaydn.

The Warp 5 ship comes very early and I don't want to make the use of a UU dependant on rushes (which is why most of the 1.0 UUs were from the late game, and the ones from that early got free promos). They were still very powerful in the mid-23rd century so it still fits. I will be including mirror universe scenarios in 3.0 to better represent this.

6. apenpaap

I don't think the remastered mirror Constitutions have yellow stuff, but I always assumed that's because they simply followed the design of the USS Defiant in the mirror universe. Also, the yellow stuff looks pretty kick-ass on ships in the game Star Trek: Legacy. In the attachments I put screenshots of what the mirror Akula, Defiant, Yorktown, Miranda, Escelsior and Galaxy-classes look like in mods for that game.

Attached Files:

7. Jaydn

Jaydn Chieftain

retexturing the Federation ships to put "yellow stuff" on them would be quite easy

8. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

:agree:

Good to see you back!:)

9. Jaydn

Jaydn Chieftain

I'd love to see the Borg with this technology as they use somewhat similar corridors in Voyager. I realize it would make the Borg that much more powerful but I like a good challenge. Plus I like playing as the borg :scan: If only there was as an easier way for them to assimilate UU and cultures into their own

10. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

it's call asimilation option in menu
    scroll dawn to last option

11. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I could remove the Borg UU and instead give them the subspace corriders tech at start like the Vaadwaur (that actually makes more sense than having one mega unit late game, especially since I'm tweaking the abilities of each unit class).

EDIT: Here are the new roles:
    -Exploration: all would have ranged attack, no other units would (except Bajoran UU), possibly rename to Light
    -Light: +25% vs. Heavy, +10% city attack, possibly rename to Heavy
    -Heavy: +50% vs. Starbase, collateral damage, put cost and movement in line with light units (maybe slightly higher cost), possibly rename to Battleship
    -Barracks: grant free city garrison in addition to free city raider, requires Phase Pistols

12. Jaydn

Jaydn Chieftain

That sounds good, though I would miss my über Cube.

Speaking of which, is the a way to keep UU's after they become obsolete?

13. apenpaap

No, I like the Borg Cubes. (Though they should be even more powerful)

14. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I tweaked the upgrades, so with the exception of Light I/II UUs they will last a bit longer.

15. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Sounds intrigueing, although:

- the Borg historically don't start with corridors, but develop the appropriate tech (and without a powerful ship design, what would they do with it?)
    - you already reduced ranged attack to 1 square (and Scouts already have a sensor advantage; currently the barbs even use Scouts to capture colonies)
    - if you replace Heavy with Battleship, why not replace Light with Cruiser as a name?

Some things I noticed while playing:

shot #1: Barbs took Cardassia and are now building Galors (they Assimilated it!)
    shot #2: Can't build Factory (only 1 allowed per system?)
    shot #3: Can't build Holodeck ???

Attached Files:

16. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I believe there is at least one ship with a range of 2. I'm not sure if I'm going to rename the units or not. It's put in as an idea, but I don't think I'm actually going to do it unless people want it (since I'm sure we've all gotten use to their existing names).

#2/3: Both were added to the list of buildings that can only have one per system by request a while ago. Is this not documented?

Is early game starbase capture too hard? That was my main reasoning for bringing the ability all the way back (and possibly nerfed, with the ranged strength being only half the normal strength). I should probably document the extra visibility too, and possibly increase it for probes (or make it only for probes?), if I could figure out where it comes from in the first place.

17. Pablod

Pablod Chieftain

you don't need range bombardment if you give colateral damage promotion
    like sea ships

18. deanej

deanej Chieftain

The early game will need something (I don't plan on moving when the Heavy units come in). The barrage promos were changed in 3.17 to increase collateral damage by a percent, so if a unit has no base collateral damage they do nothing.

19. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Well, I'm busy again, no idea when I'll have a lot of free time right now. I have to find out which sounds do/don't work anyways. For now I'm putting a description of the scenarios included in 2.0 here.

The Cardassian War
    Tensions between the Cardassian Union and the Federation have risen to war. The occupation of Bajor is underway, and Cardassia faces enemies real and percieved on all sides. Can it survive, or will the war be the end of Cardassia?
    Details will be based off of the Star Trek: Terok Nor trilogy

The Tomed Incident
    Tensions are rising between the Federation and the Romulans, and it look like it could boil into open war. The Klingons have vowed to declare way on the aggressor. Can you survive these troubled times?
    Based off of Star Trek: The Lost Era: Serpents among the Ruins

The Galaxy
    This scenario is a huge galaxy map. It features a few tweaks from the main mod, including more powerful Borg, civ differences, and the ability to found the Federation.

Millennium: The War of the Prophets
    The three Red Orbs of Jalbrador have been brought together, revealing a second Bajoran Wormhole. The Dominion has been annihilated, and the Bajoran Ascendancy has risen to power. The Federation is now involved in a bloody holy war. At stake: the universe itself!
    Based off of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Millennium trilogy

The Eugenics Wars
    The year is 1992, and Earth is in the middle of the Eugenics Wars. Khan Noonian Singh is opposed by other genetically engineered supermen as well as Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln. Who will come out on top?
    Based off of the Eugenics Wars books

20. apenpaap

These sound like pretty cool scenarios, especially the Galaxy scenario (too bad it won't include the Mirror civs). You should watch out with the locations of civs Voyager met, however, as they made huge jumps every now and then. So the approximate distance to Earth of the Delta Quadrant civs would be:
    Kazons and Vidiians: 70000 light years
    Krenim: 56000 light years
    Hirogen: 46000-25000 light years at least.
    Devore: 46000 light years
    Vaadwaur: 24000 light years