Project SYNTHESIS

How did you patch to 3.19? It must be done through an external patcher and not in-game

Is there a way to attract more modders to help Synthesis.

@ Linkman: Perhaps u can ask the people at SOI since their mod is almost perfect now and they might have some time to help out. Same goes for RFCE but they might a little busy.

Embryodead would be of great help in adding civs to the middle east.

I re-downloaded the mod. This is it in a temporary folder.

Spoiler :

Won't let me unzip, and has the appearance of an unzipped file. I can look inside it with no problem.

When I copy it into BTS mods, it simply won't show up as available to load.

Do u have a file extractor program, if not install 7 zip. Then go into 7 zip file manager and extract the files into download program and then paste it into the mod program

Not sure what's wrong, refer to the suggestions above.

Anyways, guys, I've fixed the Phoenician issues. It's in the SVN. The only other SVN change I made was to put back the diplomatic victory type but remove the cultural victory type.

All of these changes will be in the next release.

Now onto map changes.

For Timber, we must have a resource representing Lebanese Cedar,

For figuring out where it belongs, what does the Timber resource do?

In RFCE, it is needed for better ships. Maybe make it a requirement for building a Ship of the Line? Timber is so worthless that nobody wants to buy it from me when I play Jedi's modmod.

Anyway, on the resource spawns:
For Silk:
Spawn in China by 3000 BC (removed from everywhere else)
Spawn in Japan and Korea by c. 300 AD if Japan borders China
Spawn in Greece and Syria by 553 AD if Byzantium has contact with China
Spawn in Iberia and Sicily when Arab culture reaches Tunis between 701-1000
If no Arabs get to Tunis, spawn in Sicily by 1147
Spawn at Lyon by 1540
Spawn in Luzon by 1565

For Sugar:
Spawn in India by 3000 BC, remove all instances from everywhere
Spawn in China by 647 AD
Spawn in Palestine and Andalusia by 700 AD
Spawn in Cyprus and Zanzibar between 901-1000
Spawn in Madeira/Canary Islands and Cape Verde by 1440s
Spawn in Brazil and the Caribbean after European culture spreads there
Spawn in Fiji, Mauritius, Natal, Sunda, Java, Luzon and Queensland by 1800

By the way, the earlier list of tobacco spawns missed one north of Mount Pinatubo (which should appear by around 1800).

EDIT: I modded my copy for the following changes:
Lugodunon replaced with Massalia (Massalia was a 600 BC Greek colony, while Lugdunum was founded by Romans in 44 BC)
Caravels available with astronomy, carracks available with optics (to compensate for Portugal's late start)
Temple of Solomon and Great Library removed from 600 AD (gone by then)
Portugal starts with a missionary of the dominant Iberian religion
Galleons need gunpowder (they also have cannons)
Buddhist shrine removed from 600 AD start (the Mahabodhi was not yet built by then)
Helicopters start with amphibious (why units that fly over rivers and oceans get river crossing/amphibious landing penalties?)

I don't think thats a good idea. As ive said earlier the Indian spawn should be at Pataliputra becuz of 2 reasons:
1) An India around the Indus will tend to spread westwards into Persian territory.
2) Pataliputra was the cultural and political heart of India. It was the capital of most of the Ancient Indian dynasties and Hinduism emerged from the region.

Besides, with the new added resources on the ganges the region should be better.

Honestly, I never knew much about Indian history rather than IVC (the only Indian history taught in school) lol..
And I'm surprised, how amazing Pataliputra (Patna, now) is, after reading the articles in Wikipedia. If it is that awesome, I couldn't agree more, rather than at Indus, India should spawn at Pataliputra...
Area around Pataliputra is also a sacred pilgrimage site for Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Sikh. Which is more accurate to become the holy cities for the religions, than Dilli -lol, it seems like I don't really like that cities !

Btw, another suggestion, how about making the AI to think first where their capital or first city should be at.. so when they spawn, they do not just built the capital right there, but go wandering searching for better place :)

Be careful with replacing Lugodunum with Massalia because the latter does not count as being a French city for the Roman UHV.

Honestly, I never knew much about Indian history rather than IVC (the only Indian history taught in school) lol..
And I'm surprised, how amazing Pataliputra (Patna, now) is, after reading the articles in Wikipedia. If it is that awesome, I couldn't agree more, rather than at Indus, India should spawn at Pataliputra...
Area around Pataliputra is also a sacred pilgrimage site for Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Sikh. Which is more accurate to become the holy cities for the religions, than Dilli -lol, it seems like I don't really like that cities !

Btw, another suggestion, how about making the AI to think first where their capital or first city should be at.. so when they spawn, they do not just built the capital right there, but go wandering searching for better place :)
No, the whole point of the Civ spawning on a tile is for them to settle there

Can you make it so that the capital moves to Delhi eventually, or is Delhi on respawn, if it exists?

Is there a way you can get the chineese to settle more than 1 city south of beijing on the 600ad start? Most games ive played they build one city in SW china, conquer the 2 indy cities and then everything else they build gets transfered to mongolia at spawn so by the 1500's china is as weak as can be... Also, I've never once seen china settle in taiwan or japan in the ryuku's... Most of the islands on the map are left bare for the entire game as if island cities are completely useless to the AI.. Thats bad.

Also, great mod!!! I just discovered it today and am now super pumped to have another RFC mod to play

Is there a way you can get the chineese to settle more than 1 city south of beijing on the 600ad start? Most games ive played they build one city in SW china, conquer the 2 indy cities and then everything else they build gets transfered to mongolia at spawn so by the 1500's china is as weak as can be....

Yes both of these changes are overdues. The Chinese expansion Northwards can be solved with changing the Chinese spawn location to Louyang (Central China) in 3000 ad. In 600 ad i want the chinese units to spawn in Xian because it was the historical capital at the time and it is located in Central China which allows the chinese to expand North and South (With Beiging they only focus north to Mongolia). Also the city of Qufu should be replaced by Nanging (in 600 ad) which one tile south West. Nanging has been one of the most important cities in the history of china while the only significane Qufu has is that it is the birthplace of Confucious and confucianism isnt even in the game.

On the Indian issue we can all agree that India should spawn in Pataliputra
In RFCE, it is needed for better ships. Maybe make it a requirement for building a Ship of the Line? Timber is so worthless that nobody wants to buy it from me when I play Jedi's modmod.
If u ask me Timber is not really worth the effort. Maybe u should replace and add another resource in its place. If u guys still want it in the game then 2 things need to be done:
1) Timber as a strategic resource needs to have a purpose
2) Timber currently gives more production to a city then Copper, Iron or Oil. Timber should provide one hammer without lumbermill and one when lumbermill is built. So in total it should only provide 1 or 2 extra hammers to the city.

For Silk:
Spawn in China by 3000 BC (removed from everywhere else)
Spawn in Japan and Korea by c. 300 AD if Japan borders China
Spawn in Greece and Syria by 553 AD if Byzantium has contact with China
Spawn in Iberia and Sicily when Arab culture reaches Tunis between 701-1000
If no Arabs get to Tunis, spawn in Sicily by 1147
Spawn at Lyon by 1540
Spawn in Luzon by 1565
Making Silk and sugar spread would would require help and feedback from alot of people since we are essentialy changing most of the resources on the map. I dont think its worth the effort just yet. There are many things that need to be done before this. Besides, the list you gave adds more four to five resources in Europe, a region already filled with resources and already overpowered.
Lugodunon replaced with Massalia (Massalia was a 600 BC Greek colony, while Lugdunum was founded by Romans in 44 BC)
Caravels available with astronomy, carracks available with optics (to compensate for Portugal's late start)
Buddhist shrine removed from 600 AD start (the Mahabodhi was not yet built by then)
Helicopters start with amphibious (why units that fly over rivers and oceans get river crossing/amphibious landing penalties?)
1) Would require resource tweaking but duable.
3)Temple of Solomon should be renamed temple mount and historians are not sure when the Great Library was destroyed (some claim arabs did it while others blame the byzantine; but anyways its not like the other clasical wonders were in condition either by that timeperiod).
6) Nobody will be able to build it since India is not there.
7) :lol: Ur right, I never payed much attention to it but they should start with Amphibious

Lebanese Cedar is way too region-specific.

I think I'll make timber a strategic resource.

Anyway, on the resource spawns:

By the way, the earlier list of tobacco spawns missed one north of Mount Pinatubo (which should appear by around 1800).

EDIT: I modded my copy for the following changes:

Thanks for the resource spawn list.

As for your modifications:
1)Refer to what Leoreth said.
2)Unbalanced. America would become largely Portuguese this way.
3)I'm pretty sure the Temple of Solomon's already gone.
4)Could I have the code for this?
5)Ah, civ III used to do this. I might include it. Not sure.
6)The problem is that it becomes difficult for the Mahabodhi to *ever* be built this way.
7)Good point, I'll include that.

Bad idea because:

No, the whole point of the Civ spawning on a tile is for them to settle there

Can you make it so that the capital moves to Delhi eventually, or is Delhi on respawn, if it exists?

Yes.

Is there a way you can get the chineese to settle more than 1 city south of beijing on the 600ad start? Most games ive played they build one city in SW china, conquer the 2 indy cities and then everything else they build gets transfered to mongolia at spawn so by the 1500's china is as weak as can be... Also, I've never once seen china settle in taiwan or japan in the ryuku's... Most of the islands on the map are left bare for the entire game as if island cities are completely useless to the AI.. Thats bad.

My plan is to have forts and plantations with culture, thereby making these areas settled, without full-blown cities.

Yes both of these changes are overdues. The Chinese expansion Northwards can be solved with changing the Chinese spawn location to Louyang (Central China) in 3000 ad. In 600 ad i want the chinese units to spawn in Xian because it was the historical capital at the time and it is located in Central China which allows the chinese to expand North and South (With Beiging they only focus north to Mongolia). Also the city of Qufu should be replaced by Nanging (in 600 ad) which one tile south West. Nanging has been one of the most important cities in the history of china while the only significane Qufu has is that it is the birthplace of Confucious and confucianism isnt even in the game.

On the Indian issue we can all agree that India should spawn in Pataliputra

This seems reasonable.

If u ask me Timber is not really worth the effort. Maybe u should replace and add another resource in its place. If u guys still want it in the game then 2 things need to be done:
1) Timber as a strategic resource needs to have a purpose
2) Timber currently gives more production to a city then Copper, Iron or Oil. Timber should provide one hammer without lumbermill and one when lumbermill is built. So in total it should only provide 1 or 2 extra hammers to the city.

1) I'll make it required for certain ships.
2)Good idea. I'll also increase its decay rate, making it rarer.

Making Silk and sugar spread would would require help and feedback from alot of people since we are essentialy changing most of the resources on the map. I dont think its worth the effort just yet. There are many things that need to be done before this. Besides, the list you gave adds more four to five resources in Europe, a region already filled with resources and already overpowered.

The overpoweredness of Europe, if you feel its unhistorical, can be fixed by making penalties bigger.

3)Temple of Solomon should be renamed temple mount and historians are not sure when the Great Library was destroyed (some claim arabs did it while others blame the byzantine; but anyways its not like the other clasical wonders were in condition either by that timeperiod).

I thought it was the decree of the Coptic pope Theophilus I

The overpoweredness of Europe, if you feel its unhistorical, can be fixed by making penalties bigger.

What i meant to say was that sugar never really played a major role in Europe; it makes sense to include sugar in Iberia if this was RFCE but in a mod dealing with a bigger time period and geographical area only places where resources played a major role for long periods of time should be included. So if u do plan on spreading sugar and Silk i wud like to revise the list a little bit:

4 (on the same location they are right now) Silk spawns in China: 4000bc
On the silk road (somewhere in between samarqand and Beijing)
Japan and Korea (spawn on the same location as they are located right now): 200 ad
Byzantine Empire: 500 ad ( one spawns on the tile west of Constantinople and the other on the tile where Anitocha is located)
Arabs Empire: spawns near Samarqand and Baghdad in 700 ad.
Sicily: 1100 ad (the time period when the cursaders came back from Holy land).
I dont think u should add silk to iberia and France.

Sugar:
Spawn in India 4000 bc
Spread to China 600 ad (
Spread to Mesopotamia 700 ad; (it should be near western end of the Euphrates near Syria)
Spread to East African and South East Asia 900 ad (via Arab traders)
Spread to New World upon contact ( no change required)
Spreads to Queensland 1800 ad.

Sugar should not be added to Europe because in the Middle Ages they imported their sugar from middle east and later they got most of their sugar from plantations in the new world.

To make things easier i think u should not change the placement of resources (where they already exist). Meaning that sugar in South east asia or Silk in Japan should spawn on the same tiles in the same quantity but only later. Ofcourse for the regions where these resources were nto found before you will have to add and balance them.

What i meant to say was that sugar never really played a major role in Europe; it makes sense to include sugar in Iberia if this was RFCE but in a mod dealing with a bigger time period and geographical area only places where resources played a major role for long periods of time should be included. So if u do plan on spreading sugar and Silk i wud like to revise the list a little bit:

4 (on the same location they are right now) Silk spawns in China: 4000bc
On the silk road (somewhere in between samarqand and Beijing)
Japan and Korea (spawn on the same location as they are located right now): 200 ad
Byzantine Empire: 500 ad ( one spawns on the tile west of Constantinople and the other on the tile where Anitocha is located)
Arabs Empire: spawns near Samarqand and Baghdad in 700 ad.
Sicily: 1100 ad (the time period when the cursaders came back from Holy land).
I dont think u should add silk to iberia and France.

Sugar:
Spawn in India 4000 bc
Spread to China 600 ad (
Spread to Mesopotamia 700 ad; (it should be near western end of the Euphrates near Syria)
Spread to East African and South East Asia 900 ad (via Arab traders)
Spread to New World upon contact ( no change required)
Spreads to Queensland 1800 ad.

Sugar should not be added to Europe because in the Middle Ages they imported their sugar from middle east and later they got most of their sugar from plantations in the new world.

To make things easier i think u should not change the placement of resources (where they already exist). Meaning that sugar in South east asia or Silk in Japan should spawn on the same tiles in the same quantity but only later. Ofcourse for the regions where these resources were nto found before you will have to add and balance them.

Alright these are some good suggestions.

In def(createStartingUnits):
Code:
self.addMissionary(iCiv, (49, 40), (55, 46), tPlot, 1)

Ok, but this makes sure to pick the dominant religion? I assume that's what addMissionary does, right?

Spoiler SVN :

I added the Empire State Building into the SVN. Let me know what you think.

My plan for the next two weeks or so to is to tweak the map to perfection. This will be the predominant focus of the next release.

Top Bottom