Proposed: expansion of foreign language threads

And they're off! A deep, philosophical discussion of sauerkraut has begun in OT! :goodjob:

(actually I'm guessing it's deep and philosophical since I don't read German... :mischief:)

I knew that Germans had it in them to do something based on fermented cabbage and maybe some sausages.

The moderator load has been very low for [DE] threads I think we could add languages for which we have only one speaking moderator in OT.

Can we have Spanish language threads? Probably asked before, but just wanted to check...I'm willing to serve as a moderator if needed...

That would have been really nice a year ago, but I've stopped all my Spanish classes and have subsequently forgot everything about Spanish.

After we made the rule change, it doesn't seem like there was much interest in German-language threads after all. There have only been 5 [DE] threads in the 13 months since they started being allowed. Is there a reason to think [ES] would be much more popular?

After we made the rule change, it doesn't seem like there was much interest in German-language threads after all. There have only been 5 [DE] threads in the 13 months since they started being allowed. Is there a reason to think [ES] would be much more popular?
A lot more people speak Spanish that German

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I don't think that's true in terms of the Civfanatics population.

Looking at the top ~50 countries in our Facebook statistics, it seems we have about 180 'likes' from German-speaking countries (Germany, Austria & Switzerland), and 150 from Spanish-speaking countries (Spain, Argentina, Mexico, Peru & Chile).

In OT, the Deutsch 101 thread has 1000 replies from about 85 participants, whereas the Español 101 thread has almost 400 replies from about 50 participants.

You won't know unless you give it a trial period.

In this case a trial period is difficult, as there are, to my knowledge, no current OT moderators who speak Spanish. We have 4 OT moderators who speak German.

In this case a trial period is difficult, as there are, to my knowledge, no current OT moderators who speak Spanish. We have 4 OT moderators who speak German.
1. You can ask them.
2. Somebody volunteered a few posts upthread.

I know that volunteering to be a moderator isn't considered good netiquette and it's not how things are done here. And I've actually got nothing riding on this, as my fluency in Spanish is limited to a handful of words and phrases. But I'm all for encouraging new things around here, and giving people a chance to at least try.

What I'm suggesting is that it would be better to just go straight to making it a permanent fixture. Given how moderation works on this site, we wouldn't be likely to select a moderator just for a trial period. But such a moderator would probably be necessary for the concept to work. So we probably wouldn't bother with a trial period if we were to implement this. And given that, we can't rely on a trial period to tell us whether there'd be demand or not.

Top Bottom