Pushing and begging

Can you beg each and every civ every twenty turns or only one?

All of them. Remember though that every 20 turns doesn't guarantee that it will have worn off, it's just more likely. It's 5%/turn that the AI forgets it, but you could go 1 or 1000 before they actually do. 20 is a pretty reasonable beg threshold, and of course anything under 10 is impossible to capitalize on anyway since you'll still have the forced peace treaty from the last beg job.

makes sense that AIs more reluctant to stop trading than go to war. At least in war they can gain something, they gain nothing by closing borders

Just one note, If you're going to demand gold from a cautious or annoyed AI, make it Ghandi, you don't get a -1 diplo hit for doing it. Also, I often find that just by opening borders early on, you can usually get a few ai's to pleased quick, then as soon as you hit alpha, they'll usually gift you cheap techs like monotheism or priesthood.

Theoretically you can get every last piece of gold that all AIs has combined during your turns for the entire game. Don't bet your house on it.

Theoretically you can get every last piece of gold that all AIs has combined during your turns for the entire game. Don't bet your house on it.

Theoretically, you could defeat 18 deity AIs on a huge pangaea map by just attacking with warriors you build from turn 1. Also something one might not want to bet the house on (assuming it's still got a positive value).

Theoretically, you could defeat 18 deity AIs on a huge pangaea map by just attacking with warriors you build from turn 1. Also something one might not want to bet the house on (assuming it's still got a positive value).

Very true, now if humankind is able to survive and play CIV for all eternity then both of those things are going to happen! :eek:

I have yet to see a AI giving me a post renaissance tech - it seems the techs are just too expensive - they refuse to give it away even when they beaten down to virtually zero power.
Once AI offered me Fission. I didn't even ask, it started conversation itself and offered it. I was about equel with it in research and it was friendly to me obviously. It was Pacal if memory serves me well. Prince level. I was playing Churchill, if it matters. And no, we werent in permament alliance at that time :)

Once AI offered me Fission. I didn't even ask, it started conversation itself and offered it. I was about equel with it in research and it was friendly to me obviously. It was Pacal if memory serves me well. Prince level. I was playing Churchill, if it matters. And no, we werent in permament alliance at that time :)
the AI didn't see you as equal in tech at all...
and permanent allies don't trade techs, they share them

then as soon as you hit alpha, they'll usually gift you cheap techs like monotheism or priesthood.

LOL, and do you often destroy your wfyabta tables for such cheap techs?

Sometimes AIs will give you more contemporary techs, I've gotten Construction, Currency etc when just entering the renaissance era.

LOL, and do you often destroy your wfyabta tables for such cheap techs?
At lower levels, WFY isnt as big a factor, because by the late game, you are usually so far ahead it doesnt make a difference.

I have only stareted being concerned with WFY since moving to Emp level and in my last Immortal spanking, I hit it even earlier (which actually could have been a factor, ugh)

As for the topic, I beg gold and techs all the time. I dont keep track of it, but I do have a "feel" for when an AI is willing to give in.

At lower levels, WFY isnt as big a factor, because by the late game, you are usually so far ahead it doesnt make a difference.

It's harder to trade for things at lower levels anyway :p. If you want monarchy before 200 AD consistently, better get it yourself :lol:.

Well you're not usually ahead of the entire field in immortal and deity games and AIs hit WFYABTA faster there. It's easy to hit WFYABTA with all civs at the beginning of the industrial era if you're not careful.

Well you're not usually ahead of the entire field in immortal and deity games and AIs hit WFYABTA faster there. It's easy to hit WFYABTA with all civs at the beginning of the industrial era if you're not careful.

Yes, I'm well aware :cry:.

Friendly really helps, due to the abusive tech trading. If you get someone out of the loop that person is a sitting duck.

What I usually do :
as soon as an AI is pleased with me (some nice stories to follow), I beg all their gold (up to 250, I never ask for more).
I then try to beg every 20 turns. Often I forget and beg after 25 or 30 turns.
This way, I can often make 700+ gold every 20 turns. Enough to run 100% science for the early game, or for the whole game at low levels.
If the pleased or better AIs have no gold to offer, I ask them for all their gpt (up to 10, I never ask for more).
If the pleased or better AIs have no gold and no gold per turn, I sometimes beg a free resource (Free health, or free happiness :king:).
If they have nothing of the totally free kind, I try to trade them something, so that they have gold again, then come back begging.

I like this idea but...
What if you are in between civ A, hindu, and civ B, buddhist. Both are pleased, but worst enemies with each other. You hit them up for freebies, and they both comply, but do free gifts constitute trading with my worst enemy? Also, why only a certain amount of gold, never more than 10 pt or 200?

I like this idea but...
What if you are in between civ A, hindu, and civ B, buddhist. Both are pleased, but worst enemies with each other. You hit them up for freebies, and they both comply, but do free gifts constitute trading with my worst enemy? Also, why only a certain amount of gold, never more than 10 pt or 200?
if you're between the hammer and the anvil, better remove one of those...
I never said you should be a peacenik ;)
I only ask for what they usually give. If you wait longer you can get more, but I like to run 100% science.
I also noticed it doesn't work that well in BtS, for some reason.

Techs are expensive.
Don't even try to beg for them.
But some money, or some gpt or some free resource can be gotten from most (I wanted to say all, but I'm unsure) AIs.

You can be successful at begging for techs that you have currently researched a majority of the beakers (75% or so, not sure) If the AI has no cash or resources to beg for, try for a partial tech.

On a separate note, if civ A has a defensive pact with civ B and you want to war with civ B, can a peace treaty "trump" a defensive pact? It is likely that you don't want war with civ A at the same time. If you beg/demand from civ A and form a peace treaty, then declare war on civ B, will civ A honor your peace treaty or honor the defensive pact? Perhaps in this situation, civ A will never agree to a demand or begging. Thoughts?

Top Bottom