PW-01: Holy word

@jamesds

Too bad you came several hours too late... I look forward to another SG with you anyway. Mind if I put you on a reserve list ?
I hope you'll (and we'll ;)) enjoy it!

OK, I'd be happy to go on a reserve list. However, I don't know when I'll next be able to play BtS, since my optical drive isn't working, and the BtS DVD can't be validated...kinda annoying, and it seems I need a new one. When I get it working again, I'll certainly be available!

That's the best we got after 16 re-rolls? It's certainly not bad, but it only seems slightly above average. Hopefully we will get copper or iron or horses in the cross as well. Or there's good stuff in the hidden tiles. Or something.

I think settle in place is a no-brainer. Besides getting the research going asap, you can't move without losing either the oasis or a floodplain.

That's the best we got after 16 re-rolls? It's certainly not bad, but it only seems slightly above average. Hopefully we will get copper or iron or horses in the cross as well. Or there's good stuff in the hidden tiles. Or something.

I think settle in place is a no-brainer. Besides getting the research going asap, you can't move without losing either the oasis or a floodplain.

We can still re-roll :)
Still, it's not easy to get an oasis inside the BFC without WBuilding everything. Hey, maybe it's a solution ? :mischief:

Anyway, I think that with this kind of location we will have something else in the BFC - this start surely is better.

I'm not saying reroll more, I'd rather have the challenge of making this work on a reasonable start. I'm just surprised that that's the best that came up in 16 rolls.

I'm not saying reroll more, I'd rather have the challenge of making this work on a reasonable start. I'm just surprised that that's the best that came up in 16 rolls.

I agree - it might be a little bit challenging (only one food AH tile), but with flood plains and oasis we should do well.

Research is no brainer : Meditation & Polytheism.
Masonry and Monotheism should follow.

After, I would be tempted to get BW to chop Oracle in the capital.

Pottery would be nice (maybe a hat will provide us with it...) but will have to wait.

I think settling in place is a plan.

Build-wise, I would go for a second warrior to scout around while waiting to pop 2. Then a worker.

just to go against the grain, i think moving the settler SE to where the warrior is might be a better move: pro's: we get teh oasis right off the bat, w/o waiting for a border pop; our capital tile is a plains hill on a river: 2-2-1. con's: we lose one turn moving.

we can cottage a bunch at the beginning to get some commerce, and work some of those grass hills, then, later on, farm over everything, and make it a nice production powerhouse.

also, w/only mysticism and mining to start with, i think we can safely put off a worker for a bit ~ at least until the early religions fall.

the tech path seems to be: med > poly > masonry > mono, and so I propose warrior spam to explore, bust some fog, etc., and settler @ pop4; no workers.

just to go against the grain, i think moving the settler SE to where the warrior is might be a better move: pro's: we get teh oasis right off the bat, w/o waiting for a border pop; our capital tile is a plains hill on a river: 2-2-1. con's: we lose one turn moving.

(....)

the tech path seems to be: med > poly > masonry > mono, and so I propose warrior spam to explore, bust some fog, etc., and settler @ pop4; no workers.
:stupid: ooops.... :agree: :lol: The extra :hammers: can make quite a diference

to be fair, i was going to say settle in place . . . until i realized i was looking at the warrior!, and not the settler! :lol:

:agree: that :stupid:

Seriously, I had the same thoughts as pholk about the start. Losing one turn won't matter since we'll gain extra commerce from the oasis right away.

Spamming warriors until size 4 sounds good. Early exploration and fogbusting are always worthy goals.

I think putting off the worker is a good idea. We are only going to have mining for a good long while.

edit: I see the point of the extra free hammer, especially since we won't have any workers for a while. I'm just afraid of what we would lose in the hidden tiles. One of them is a floodplain, another might be a floodplain, and then there's 3 grassland and 1 forested hidden tile. With only 1 visible resource in the bfc, I've gotta believe there's something there.

Settling in place would mean we work a floodplain for 3/0/1 for 5 turns and then the oasis, which is 3/0/2 (or was it 3/0/3?). Net loss of 5 commerce by not being able to work the oasis on turn 1. Moving will cost 11 commerce. So that's around break even.

Moving will make a better early city with the free hammer, while settling in place gambles on finding resource(s), to make a better long term city.

I think we'll be ok either way, but I still vote settle in place. I think our biggest troubles in this game will come mid-game, balancing the need for military techs so we don't get nailed by our peace-loving neighbors, against economic techs so we don't fall hopelessly behind and lose the race for the final 2 religions, after aggravating both problems by falling behind on both in the early game chasing religions. I think settling in place will give us an edge towards to overcoming that challenge compared against moving. (Assuming there's a resource or two in the hidden tiles).

I have to agree with Zargon.
As for me, there is something in this fog. Impossible to have nothing - the map generator just makes sure there is something in each BFC.
I fear we will be losing something if we move.
So, we are break at 3 to 2.

I'd like to order one coastal grassland hill river start with 2 fish, 1 crab, 1 clam, 3 gold mines, 1 silver mine, 1 gem mine, 1 corn, 1 wheat, 1 marble, 1 stone, 1 horse, 1 copper, and 1 iron, with all the tiles riverside.

edit: and 1 ivory. and every single calender resource in the third ring.

You have my vote Zargon :)
That's a kind of start you dream of. I wonder why you never get one.

Seriously, I think this start is nice. Not plainly great, but nice. With a gold it will be great. More floodplains to cottage will be great too.
Oasis is 3/0/2. You must have played financial ;)

Imhotep, if it's ok with the others, I would like a river/flood plain, one gold or gem, an oasis, two non-forested hills and two food ressources ;) With an extra cheese :p

@pawelo:

This was no jest of mine - just ask pholk what it means if the Legendary Builder crafts a map... :D ;) If you want me to, just give me the info of things you want to have and I'll come up with something nice surely...

·Imhotep·;6068347 said:
@pawelo:

This was no jest of mine - just ask pholk what it means if the Legendary Builder crafts a map... :D ;) If you want me to, just give me the info of things you want to have and I'll come up with something nice surely...

Group vote on legendary builder proposal ?

As for me, I would like a start on a river plain hill next to an oasis, with gold in the BFC and a nice food like cows or pigs - not the rice for instance. Basically, should the gem/gold be in our current bfc, this is an already nice location.

Best out of 16, remember ;)

Top Bottom