Question for Debate

See "resolution" below...

• I am an American and I believe this resolution is right!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a non American and I believe this resolution is right!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am an American and I believe this resolution is wrong!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I am a non American and I believe this resolution is wrong!

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters

The Troquelet

Conscious
I'm part of the NFL, and this question is our Lincoln-Douglas Debate question for the fall. I thought it was interesting enough to post here for discussion. It's in the form of a "resolution" or "bill":

Be it resolved, that when the United States is involved in military conflict, the demands of national security should supersede the rights of the individual.

So, poll: yes, no, and why?

I think it is wrong.

We take the fight to the despot, not bring the despot to our great nation. We eliminate these totalitarian powers, but never accept these practices.

I believe fully in national security, but the FBI and CIA need to learn how to keep their own papers in order before they go digging into anyone else's business.

:confused:
Parden my ignorance, but what do Lincoln-Douglas debates, freedom curtailment, and the National Football League have in common?

... I feel like I should have a good punchline.

National FORENSICS League! :lol: Speech and Debate Club. L-D debates are a competition event modelled on a very formalized debate [like a bill in congress debate between two people: timed speeches, cross-examination, etc]: also there's Extemporaneous speeches, Impromptu speeches, Duo and Humorous interpretations of short plays-scenes, Persuasive Speeches, Original Oratory, Student Congress, etc.

For those of you who voted, second idea: do you support the USA's PATRIOT act? Both Americans and non-Americans. My vote would also go NO.

Be it resolved, that when the United States is involved in military conflict, the demands of national security should supersede the rights of the individual.

This method has always worked before and was VERY efficient. Though, I won't say a word about my attitude

As an American, I say absolutely not.

And the first thing everyone should ask in the face of such a proposition is: define "national security".

Observe: is it actually EVER defined in clear, objective terms? Or is it rather one of those buzzwords that people hear and don't think to question (or FEAR questioning), yet never bothered to sit down and define it?

Could it be that such a proposition is in fact, itself, the ultimate threat to national security?

Originally posted by The Troquelet
I'm part of the NFL, and this question is our Lincoln-Douglas Debate question for the fall. I thought it was interesting enough to post here for discussion. It's in the form of a "resolution" or "bill":

So, poll: yes, no, and why?
I voted no, officially, but it was a very tentative vote. Why? The lack of frame of reference and the vagueness of the language. The resolution is very broad, amendment type language, not specific-parameter language of US Code.
Considering that, I'd vote no because of the lack of specified limits of what can satisfy the "demands" versus which "rights" you're talking about sacrificing. Not to mention what specific category of military conflict? Does it include periods when we only have Special Forces advisers training counterinsurgency or security forces (which is almost constantly) or do we have to be in a state of declared war?

Honestly, to a great degree, this principle is how the US has always worked -- and should work. It's just doesn't operate on an all-or-nothing scale like this simplistic resolution would suggest. Delve into it Troquelet, you'll see there is plenty of latitude and plenty of restriction, and most of it circles around the dissemination of classified information vs. First Amendment rights (freedom of speech).
In that case, I'm all for limiting your ability to blab, oh, say our war plan vs. Iraq -- like what the New York Times did in July. The dangers are when restrictions are imposed that may violate civil rights without just cause --or-- to hide embarrassments instead of actual, sensitive information (which, despite rules to prevent this, has happened; hence the "leak" that sometimes springs from inside the organization-in-question).

This is also big with employment issues in the formation of the Homeland Defense Department. I'm kind of split on this one: I see both the Executive necessity to do what needs to be done and I'm acutely aware of managerial abuses that are possible. Major problem for the union here: these folk aren't factory workers, these folk hold the security of our nation in their hands. When you are a gun-carrying, sworn "agent" or "officer" of the United States (there is a technical difference), you have a different set of responsibilities and expectations -- similar to being in the armed at forces at this point -- and if you look, you'll see the UCMJ works on a different level than USC. There are good reasons why.

So, again, "no," but only on basis vagueness.

Top Bottom