• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

When looking at city in the regular map view, I notice a % to the right of the city (i.e. 20%, 60%, 80%, etc). What does this indicate?

Under Vassalage, new units recieve +2 experience points. Seems like a really good thing to combine with Theocracy to build a powerful force.. Right?

But it also says something to the effect of receiving 12 units. What does that mean??

Under Vassalage, new units recieve +2 experience points. Seems like a really good thing to combine with Theocracy to build a powerful force.. Right?

But it also says something to the effect of receiving 12 units. What does that mean??

You pay a certain amount of maintenance for each military unit. (That cost rises when the units leave your cultural borders, by the way.) Running Vassalage will give you a certain number of "free" units, i.e. no maintenance on them. The number of units varies; IIRC, it's based mainly on the size of your civ.

What file holds the default Leader Name in the game start up? I would like to change that. Thanks. :)

What file holds the default Leader Name in the game start up? I would like to change that. Thanks. :)

civilizationIV.ini

there is a line called

alias = 0

this defaults to your account name - if you change the 0 to whatever name you want it will be the one used.
Note the .ini files are in the
documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4
documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\warlords
and
documents and settings\<username>\my documents\my games\beyond the sword
folders and you need to change it in the file for the game you use.

I am getting my 8 yr old daughter addicted to CIV and we are playing a team game. I am "trapped" between her, the ocean, and the glaciers, but need to expand (early game, no ships yet). There is a ripe spot for a city just outside her borders--so, it would have borders with her, but none with me. Since we're a team, is there any cost (maintenance, whatever) to this?

Is there any way to "free" a vassal? I had a vassal (through a strategic capitulation) who was doing great, and for political reasons, I wanted them to be on their own to negotiate their peace with someone I was still at war with. I couldn't find a way to "release" them from their vassalage.

I am getting my 8 yr old daughter addicted to CIV and we are playing a team game. I am "trapped" between her, the ocean, and the glaciers, but need to expand (early game, no ships yet). There is a ripe spot for a city just outside her borders--so, it would have borders with her, but none with me. Since we're a team, is there any cost (maintenance, whatever) to this?
no - just that you compete for the control of a few tiles.

Is there any way to "free" a vassal? I had a vassal (through a strategic capitulation) who was doing great, and for political reasons, I wanted them to be on their own to negotiate their peace with someone I was still at war with. I couldn't find a way to "release" them from their vassalage.

you cannot release a vassal - they can break free under certain conditions but as a master you are stuck with them.

1) How do I improve water tiles? Workers improve land tiles, how about water tiles?

2) What are work boats used for?

1) How do I improve water tiles? Workers improve land tiles, how about water tiles?

1) You can't improve water tiles unless there is a resource on them (fish, clam, crab, or whale)

2) Move work boats to those water resources to "improve" them by building fishing boats (click the "Build Fishing Boats" button on the bottom menu).

1) The only improvement that works for all water tiles is the lighthouse building (which can be constructed in coastal cities) which improves the food output of all water tiles used by this city by 1. There are some wonders (Colossus) and some unique buildings (Feitoria) which further improve the output of water tiles, but you can't expect to get these.

2) Work boats improve the output of water resources like fish, crab, clam, whales (available mid-game), oil (available late game). Work boats can only be used once, but they are cheap and the increase in output of these water resources is great. Also, the additional resources that become available can help you with health problems (fish, crab, clam), happiness problems (whales) or lack of strategic resources (oil).
You do need to protect these sea based resource improvements when you're at war as they're easily pillaged, especially in the late game.

Two questions:

1) In the screen shot below, Jersusalem has Iron. I built the "Maccabee" (Swordsman) there. There are rivers and roads leading to Tel Aviv. Why can't Tel Aviv build a Maccabee?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/39493/Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

2) It seems like some times a resource needs a road to get all its benefits to the city, and sometimes it does not (land-based only, of course!). I've been confused about this forever. Page 72 of the Manual says "If an improved resource is within the city's radius, that city will get the benefit of the resource, roads or no roads. However, cities further away must be connected to the resource's sapce .. to get the benefits." But I swear that if I hold the mouse over a Pig resource, let's say, that is within the BFC, the game will 'prompt' me that one of more of the benefits of the resource will not accrue until I build a road. What am I missing here?

Two questions:

1) In the screen shot below, Jersusalem has Iron. I built the "Maccabee" (Swordsman) there. There are rivers and roads leading to Tel Aviv. Why can't Tel Aviv build a Maccabee?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/39493/Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

2) It seems like some times a resource needs a road to get all its benefits to the city, and sometimes it does not (land-based only, of course!). I've been confused about this forever. Page 72 of the Manual says "If an improved resource is within the city's radius, that city will get the benefit of the resource, roads or no roads. However, cities further away must be connected to the resource's sapce .. to get the benefits." But I swear that if I hold the mouse over a Pig resource, let's say, that is within the BFC, the game will 'prompt' me that one of more of the benefits of the resource will not accrue until I build a road. What am I missing here?
  1. It looks like you need one more road, on the flood plain 1S 2E of Jerusalem. The tile 1W of it, with the road, is not technically a water tile, though it looks like the mod you're using, or worldbuilder, has made it look like it is.
  2. The manual is misleading. If you improve a resource tile within a city's fat cross, your citizens can work the tile and gain the additional hammers, food, and/or commerce. However, unless that tile has a road, none of your cities will gain the additional benefits--for example, additional health or happiness. If the tile is next to a river, a road may be unnecessary, but the whole river thing is complicated, as you see in your screenshot. I prefer to just build roads on all resource tiles. I'll usually need them to move troops around later anyway.

Top Bottom