Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

a4phantom, I have a heck of a time getting units up to Drill4. They're usually killed before I can give them Drill3. I'm considering using a Great General to give a unit Drill 4 just to get the feel of whether they're that good at cleaning up.

Skips asked:

Is there any point building improvement outside your original cross

and CCRunner7 answered:

Only if it hooks up a resource. Otherwise no.

My added thought here is that "original cross" and "fat cross" are different. The original is small... The "Fat Cross" is the 20 squares surrounding your city - the size of the first expansion.

With that understood, CCs answer is correct. There is only one slight thing that you might do - chopping a forrest does add some minimal :hammers: to a nearby city... Might be useful on rare occasions to finish a building.

I had trouble with this concept when I first started.

Skips asked:

and CCRunner7 answered:

My added thought here is that "original cross" and "fat cross" are different. The original is small... The "Fat Cross" is the 20 squares surrounding your city - the size of the first expansion.

With that understood, CCs answer is correct. There is only one slight thing that you might do - chopping a forrest does add some minimal :hammers: to a nearby city... Might be useful on rare occasions to finish a building.

I had trouble with this concept when I first started.
One other exception: farms, if they're to provide chain irrigation to other tiles within the fat cross(es).

And, of course, roads/railroads can be useful too, and they do, technically, count as improvements... ;)

If I have a replacement file for the CvGameCoreDLL file can I put it in the CustomAssets folder instead of replacing the actual file in the install directory?

How (in small easy steps please) would I go about capping the number of Execs an AI has on hand? I'm playing 3.13 +Bhuic's. I don't want a fair fight, exactly, but I'd rather not have the enemy build 300 execs and 10 combat units.

New patch? Is it as good as Bhuic's? Oh, I see the thread.

What do you guys think of the Statue of Zeus? Justinian had it and it gave me a lot of trouble very quickly, but after I took it there were no serious wars left to fight anyway. Korea capitulated to me and my four lackeys after 1 turn and 1 city!

Re - SoZ - I build it just in case. (Wonderful synergy with the Khmer needing Ivory for their UU at the moment.) I should think it is pretty good at increasing WW in an enemy but you'd still need to make sure you had enough happy-pills to keep your empire happy.

I have been able to modify the WBS file for an already started map/game, but I want to know how to modify the actual units such as how many moves a unit can make in 1 turn and also is what units you start out with contained in the WBS file or is there a place to change that so you don't have to modify the WBS file for each new map?

Does an army of Drill4 Oramo Warriors/Rifles/Infantry mixed with the appropriate siege engines and pikes seem like an effective strike force? I'm told that high levels of Drill are ideal for mopping up weakened opponents, ie those hit by suicide siege, and Drill4 mitigates 60% of collateral damage. I don't think I've ever built a single musket, I usually upgrade CR3 macemen to rifles and rely on them until I get tanks. But easy Drill4 units sound like fun. What I'd really like is that the same units could be used for attacking cities and fighting in the field, whereas City Raider units are both weak in the field and irreplaceable once you get rifling.

Sounds like you want an all rounder unit. That is exactly what the Combat promotions are for. At higher levels you can even unlock march/blitz (CIII) and commando (CIV). However, with the BTS promotion woodsman III you can get a first striking super medic, so you may find that drill isn't so important.

New patch? Is it as good as Bhuic's? Oh, I see the thread.

What do you guys think of the Statue of Zeus? Justinian had it and it gave me a lot of trouble very quickly, but after I took it there were no serious wars left to fight anyway. Korea capitulated to me and my four lackeys after 1 turn and 1 city!

The main problem I have with the SoZ is that it does nothing at all when fighting an offensive war, as all of your battles will be fought where your culture is ~0%. The only value it really has is to deny it to an enemy. Don't bother getting it if your ally is going for it.

How does map scripts calculate and generate tiles for your starting city? Does every kind of resource/tile type have a designated value and it assigns you tiles worth a set sum equal to everyone else's starting cities?

My problem:
I feel the tile prospects of your first city are almost too crucial for your game and I find myself regenerating the map time and time again not being satisfied with what the map script has given me... Am I being a huge ass for doing so? :blush:

I was recently off to a near perfect start in my eyes... had it only been on marathon like I usually play :p It would have given me two thirds of a turn back and I would have been able to beat Mansa Musa's ugly face in with a warrior rush.(I decided to try normal speed for a 'quick' game) I mourn my beautiful city as I come crawling back to marathon and I get nothing but what I consider pure crap starts.

Am I just being hopelessly picky about my starting locations? Or maybe maybe just too big of a noob to fully grasp the potential of all kinds of locations? :crazyeye:

Am I just being hopelessly picky about my starting locations? Or maybe maybe just too big of a noob to fully grasp the potential of all kinds of locations? :crazyeye:

It depends!

The main problem I have with the SoZ is that it does nothing at all when fighting an offensive war, as all of your battles will be fought where your culture is ~0%. The only value it really has is to deny it to an enemy. Don't bother getting it if your ally is going for it.

Good point, although my allies and my future enemies are the same people. :mischief:

On what? :D

Finding my settler on top of dull grassland one tile short of a river surrounded by three elephants and some bananas just makes me :sad:

I regenerate the map a few times myself, because I play for fun not for a challenge, but the good players would take that setting and kick AI with it. Also, I think starting places are balanced including resources that aren't visible at first, so a shortage of starting resources may improve your odds of finding horses, copper or iron near your capital when they become visible. I'd wait for an expert to rule on that though.

I regenerate the map a few times myself, because I play for fun not for a challenge, but the good players would take that setting and kick AI with it. Also, I think starting places are balanced including resources that aren't visible at first, so a shortage of starting resources may improve your odds of finding horses, copper or iron near your capital when they become visible. I'd wait for an expert to rule on that though.
I'm actually not thinking about resources, or lack thereof; I can usually tell when there's Iron/Copper/Horses laying around to be discovered. But I'd rather have no resources all rivered up with lush grassland and grassland hills to plant rows and rows of delicious cottages and future windmills on than ridiculous duplicate resources with scarce future potential :confused:

On what? :D

Finding my settler on top of dull grassland one tile short of a river surrounded by three elephants and some bananas just makes me :sad:

I'm actually not thinking about resources, or lack thereof; I can usually tell when there's Iron/Copper/Horses laying around to be discovered. But I'd rather have no resources all rivered up with lush grassland and grassland hills to plant rows and rows of delicious cottages and future windmills on than ridiculous duplicate resources with scarce future potential :confused:

I'd rather have the ivory and banana's. Resources are extremely important to get your cities happy and healthy. When the health and happy cap is too low, then you can't develop a good city. So, the city with lush grassland and grassland hills cannot be developed into a size 20 city with all cottages and windmills.

You somehow assume that you will get these resources with your future cities, but that just depends on which resources happen to be near you (and your trading partners). Ivory is one of my favourite starting resources because you can improve the tile almost immediately and thus can raise your happy cap almost at the start of the game. If you start out with 3 sources of ivory, then you can use one for yourself and trade 2 for other resources. And the improved ivory tiles are nice tiles for production. It takes a while longer for the banana to become a great tile because plantations aren't available at the start of the game, but you can often farm the tile while waiting for plantations and a farmed banana tile is a quite good food tile.

Of course, a city with a gold, silver, corn, wheat and copper and lots of grassland is a far better starting position, but also a quite unrealistically good one. Heh, such a great starting position would probably make the challenge of that game 2 levels lower than a game with a regular starting position.

Top Bottom