Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

@Leperflesh: It's all in the Civ4GameSpeedInfo XML file (times expressed in months).

So on quick speed that would be:

60 turns of 50 year increments (4000BC-1000BC)
30 in 40 year increments (1000BC - 200AD)
20 in 30 year increments (200AD - 800AD)
30 in 20 year increments (800AD - 1400AD)
25 in 10 year increments (1440AD - 1650AD)
40 in 5 year increments (1650AD - 1850AD)
65 in 2 year increments (1850AD - 1980AD)
70 in 1 year increments (1980AD - 2050AD)

Normal Speed:

75 in 40 year increments (4000BC - 1000BC)
60 in 25 year increments (1000BC - 500AD)
25 in 20 year increments (500AD - 1000AD)
50 in 10 year increments (1000AD - 1500AD)
60 in 5 year increments (1500AD - 1800AD)
50 in 2 year increments (1800AD - 1900AD)
120 in 1 year increments (1900AD - 2020AD)
60 in 6 month increments (2020AD - 2050AD)

Epic Speed:
140 in 25 year increments (4000BC - 500BC)
90 in 15 year increments (500BC - 850AD)
40 in 10 year increments (850AD - 1250AD)
90 in 5 year increments (1250AD - 1700AD)
70 in 2 year increments (1700AD - 1840AD)
100 in 1 year increments (1840AD - 1940AD)
220 in 6 month increments (1940AD - 2050AD)

Marathon Speed:
100 in 15 year increments (4000BC - 2500BC)
300 in 10 year increments (2500BC - 500AD)
170 in 5 year increments (500AD - 1350AD)
201 in 2 year increments (1350AD - 1752AD)
129 in 1 year increments (1752AD - 1881AD)
180 in 6 month increments (1881AD - 1971AD)
264 in 3 month increments (1971AD - 2037AD)
156 in 1 month increments (2037AD - 2050AD)

There's only four speed settings - not five.

I started building a wonder in one city, but I want to switch it to another. The wonder is greyed out everywhere else now, even when I change the production of the first city. Is there any way to permanently cancel that association, or am I stuck building it there?

Edit: This isn't true. I figured out the real problem. Sorry to take up space.

Hi guys

On the 18 civ Earth map, can anywhere in Europe build the Space Elevator? Or an alternative question, is there any way of finding out the latitude of a particular city?

Having a building requirement that's impossible to check beforehand is extremely frustrating!

Hello.
How exactly do you blockade? What is its purpose?

On the ship in enemy waters there is a cannon showing out of a gunport on the options bar (the one with fortify and move group options).

It denies access to food tiles (at sea of course) the enemy might have and takes away foreign trade routes.

Hi guys

On the 18 civ Earth map, can anywhere in Europe build the Space Elevator? Or an alternative question, is there any way of finding out the latitude of a particular city?

Having a building requirement that's impossible to check beforehand is extremely frustrating!

No one in Europe can build the Space elevator.
You must conquer Egypt or something.

There is no option to check except a Globe and a Good eye for the mini-map.

If I settle on top of stone, do I need masonry to get the bonus for stonehenge?

similar question but when I automate my workers they sometimes build forts on resources, do I still get those resources that they have been built on?

similar question but when I automate my workers they sometimes build forts on resources, do I still get those resources that they have been built on?

This happens in BTS, because the features of forts have been increased in BTS. One of the new features of forts is that they serve as a resource improvement for every type of resource once the normal resource improving tile improvement for this resource has been invented. Forts however don't increase the tile output of these resource tiles. This means that they're ideal for resources outside of the fat crosses of your cities and the automatic workers will place them on such resource tiles. It makes these resources easier to defend and harder to bomb (forts are harder to destroy by bombardment than most other improvements).

It can also be useful to place them on resources before the special resource improving tile improvement is available. Using them in this way means that you'll be able to use the resource the moment that the special resource improving tile improvement is available. This means that you don't have to hurry to build the resource improving tile improvement. It is useful to do this for the resource oil because you can see it before you can use it.

If I settle on top of stone, do I need masonry to get the bonus for stonehenge?
Yes.

Yes, provided they have a route (usually a road) and they're within your cultural borders.

But you really shouldn't be automating workers.

An enemy city whom I'm at war with is built on top of coal. What do I need to do to gain access to it? Just capture it?

An enemy city whom I'm at war with is built on top of coal. What do I need to do to gain access to it? Just capture it?

Yep, no mine needed.

.....the special resource improving tile improvement is available.

with all due respect, what do you mean?

IMHO "resource improvement" is a much clearer way of denoting the concept you are refering to, namely, the technology needed to improve a resource

No one in Europe can build the Space elevator.
You must conquer Egypt or something.

There is no option to check except a Globe and a Good eye for the mini-map.
Actually, I believe you can count the number of tiles on the map and figure out the 30 degree latitude limit. It's not exactly convenient, but it should work. You should be able to look up the dimensions of a particular map type and size (for instance, here is a partial list, not including Warlords/BTS scripts), or just count them. Then divide the map into three latitude segments (which represent 90 N to 30 N, 30 N to 30 S, 30 S to 90 S), and the middle third of the map should be where you can build the Space Elevator. :)

Note that I haven't tested this myself, but I suspect it works. The only uncertain tile will be the one right on the 30 degree lines, and I'm not sure whether cities on that latitude line will be able to build the Elevator or not.

A question: Does the 30 degree latitude limit hold for maps like Highlands and Great Plains? IMHO it shouldn't, but I have a feeling it might...

I have a problem with war. when I raze a city it always forms resistance units and it realy annoys me. Should this happen and can i turn it off.

I have a problem with war. when I raze a city it always forms resistance units and it realy annoys me. Should this happen and can i turn it off.
It's a random event so you can turn it off in the custom game menu. It doesn't turn that off specifically though, it turns off all random events in the game.

I won't say I like this random event, but I look upon it as part of the price you may pay for fighting a war. Frankly, in Civ II this used to happen almost every time you captured a city in the late game, so I'm kind of used to it. Just bring along a few more defensive and counter-attacking units and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom