Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I won't say I like this random event, but I look upon it as part of the price you may pay for fighting a war. Frankly, in Civ II this used to happen almost every time you captured a city in the late game, so I'm kind of used to it. Just bring along a few more defensive and counter-attacking units and you'll be fine.
Since it only happens when you raze a city and not when you capture one though, it could be seen as a bit unbalanced...

Alright
I got a little problem.
I have no idea how to take a screenshot. I'm using Vista here.
I have a laptop computer and it has the screenshot button as

home
[prt sc]

However if I try to press this in game (or anywhere else) absolutely nothing happens. Even comboes such as Shift + Prt Sc or Ctrl+Alt+Prt Sc have no effect whatsoever.
I've also searched for the allowscreenshots=1 in the ini file but found nothing of that sort.
Even my last straw, the snipping tool does not come up if I open civ 4.

Can anything be done?

Alright
I got a little problem.

Can anything be done?

i had similar issues with XP, not sure about vista

I use IRFanView, it is free and is working well

just go to their site for the download, let me know if you have any questions and if it is OK with vista, good luck

i am sending my screens to photobucket to develop a story....

how do I post images in a thread as thumbnails?

i am sending my screens to photobucket to develop a story....

how do I post images in a thread as thumbnails?
I'm not sure if you can do thumbnails with photobucket; I know you can with imageshack. But in any event, from personal experience, I think that most people appreciate full images rather than thumbnails that require clicking (unless they have a really bad internet connection). So you might be better off just posting the full images. You can do that by copying the link they provide under each image for "IMG Code" into your post. :)

Do BtS and CIv IV run totally fine on Windows Vista?

I don't have Vista myself, but I know of people who have Vista and still manage to play Civ4. I do hear of some issues though, but I'm not sure whether they're due to Vista or something else about the person's computer.

So I guess my answer is "probably, but it depends". Some people have no troubles, some do. ;)

I downloaded a map from the forum here, and I saved it into public maps.... now how do I play it.

Also, rehashing a previous question, can you no longer set a city as a rally point for all new troops?

Thx

Stunner

Alright
I got a little problem.
I have no idea how to take a screenshot. I'm using Vista here.
I have a laptop computer and it has the screenshot button as

home
[prt sc]

However if I try to press this in game (or anywhere else) absolutely nothing happens. Even comboes such as Shift + Prt Sc or Ctrl+Alt+Prt Sc have no effect whatsoever.
I've also searched for the allowscreenshots=1 in the ini file but found nothing of that sort.
Even my last straw, the snipping tool does not come up if I open civ 4.

Can anything be done?

Next to the ctrl key there's a little button called fn with a box around it(at least there is on my laptop). Press that in combination with prt screen. It might not be there on yours though because we have different laptops, as my prt screen is on insert not home

where do i find world builder.
i havent cracked civ 4 yet. I just play beyond the sword
Ctrl+W toggles you in and out of Worldbuilder.
They work fine for me.
I'm not sure if you can do thumbnails with photobucket; I know you can with imageshack. But in any event, from personal experience, I think that most people appreciate full images rather than thumbnails that require clicking (unless they have a really bad internet connection). So you might be better off just posting the full images. You can do that by copying the link they provide under each image for "IMG Code" into your post. :)
I have never bothered with thumbnails, but I do resize the screenshots I post because they're quite large. Windows XP has either a built-in tool or a free Powertoy to do that (I can't recall which); now that I'm using Vista, I use VSO Image Resizer.

I opened the game and, like an idiot, I clicked on "check for updates" on the opening screen. Two hours later, I'm still getting a "may not proceed until patching process is complete" message. Is it just me or is there a problem with the latest patch.

I was (am?) patched through v3.13.

The in-game updater just sucks. You should just download it and install it from this site. It takes under ten minutes compared to hours for the in-game one.

There seems to be a fault in the in-game update system for patch 3.17. I had to download it manually in the end (indeed I haven't seen anyone who got the in-game system to work for this patch yet).

If I download patch 3.17 does it come with all the other patches (ie. 3.13) if I don't have them?

if you play in multiplayer lan and saves a game how can you edit that map then?
world edit cant be opened in multiplayer and i cant open a multiplayer map in single player

If I download patch 3.17 does it come with all the other patches (ie. 3.13) if I don't have them?
Yes, it is inclusive.
if you play in multiplayer lan and saves a game how can you edit that map then?
world edit cant be opened in multiplayer and i cant open a multiplayer map in single player
I'm not sure if you can open the WorldBuilder at all when playing multiplayer. Perhaps you should ask in the multiplayer forum?

Top Bottom