1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. gfmech

gfmech Chieftain

Hey all, I've just started playing Civ IV and have just started my first game on Prince diff. I think I'm learning pretty quick, but this odd city production thing has me confused. I have a 3 population coastal town with tiles chosen to give me 8 food and 2 hammers. So as I understand it that's 6 food to feed the pop and 2 to grow with. And meanwhile the hammers should work on producing units. The odd thing occurs when I try to make a worker. I should be able to queue a worker being worked on with 2 hammers while the city continues to grow at 2 food a turn. However, when I start the worker, the city automatically switches growth to stagnant and uses the 2 extra food to give me one more production point. It doesn't do this when I make an archer, for example, but if I try to make a settler or worker, it stagnates my growth and goes all production. It seems none of the city management buttons can fix this weird behavior. Please any advice would help clear things up. Thanks a lot!

2. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Here's an example of what the shortcut's "target" should look like to load up the "40Civs" mod straight away.

"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" -mod="mods/40Civs"

Include all spaces and quotation marks. Just change "40Civs" to the relevant mod name, and you'll be sorted. :)

In Civ4, whenever you are producing a Worker or a Settler, all of your excess food goes into producing the Worker or Settler. This has an upside and a downside - it means that you get extra production towards your Worker or Settler, but it also means that you cannot grow while producing a Worker/Settler. Thus, you need to think carefully about whether your city is large enough to afford not growing before building a Worker/Settler. It adds an interesting tactical element to the game, particularly in the ancient times. ;)

3. gfmech

gfmech Chieftain

Thanks a lot Parkin, I suspected that was it, but I couldn't find a confirmation in any instruction booklets. Thanks again for the quick reply.

4. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

Parkin did it already. Curse you page 486.

5. Inconceivable

Inconceivable Chieftain

Thanks to all who helped me with my questions on the previous page. I started a new game as Ragnar (Agg/Fin) and turned on Raging Barbarians so I had an excuse to build up my army very early. Even though I only had Warriors/Longbowmen/Catapaults (barbs took all my resource cities) I won my first war against Montezuma, who according to the F9 chart had a stronger military than me. Suicide cats worked very well! I am working on settling the land (I razed all of Monte's cities because they weren't located in very good spots) and pumping my economy back up. I also eradicated all the local barbs, though more come in on ships. My next war will probably involve a substantial Navy, so I have to work on those techs too (I haven't been off my continent yet).

Thanks especially for the help with the food. It makes much more sense now. :)

6. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Well done on the early war vs Monty. One tip - it's very rare that an AI capital is so badly placed that razing is better than keeping it. The game ensures that virtually all nations start with a good location for their first city, for some reason. Consequently, one of the big benefits of an early war is snagging a resource-laden capital.

7. Al-Iskander

Al-Iskander Warlord

Worked great! Thanks so much!

8. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Well done. :) Although along with 6K Man, I'd question whether it was sensible to raze all of Monty's cities. The capital especially should not be a city worth razing. It's also often worth considering keeping other cities that you capture, even if they're not placed how you'd like. Having an extra decent-sized city in the early game, even if it's suboptimally placed, often outweighs razing, rebuilding and then growing a new city. That Settler could have been used somewhere else to expand your empire even further, rather than rebuilding near a city that you razed.

It's especially questionable to be razing cities on raging barbarians... cities are great fogbusters. ;)

No worries. :)

9. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

The underlined part is not exactly true. If you had the avoid grow button ticked and filled the food bar and you start a worker/settler, if you untick the button during the build the city will grow next turn if there is not a food deficit at that moment.

Of course this is a completely useless info ;)

10. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

Somebody hang this man!:mad:

11. Inconceivable

Inconceivable Chieftain

Oh, I suppose I should have kept the capital...though I don't think I knew which one it was. Would it just be the city with the lowest # for that civ or.. ?

I was a little more willing to raze/resettle the cities I guess because I had cities on all sides, and it was fairly easy for me to do so. My next war was against the Persian empire and I kept most of those cities. And my latest war was on Elizabeth and I kept 3/4 of her cities (yeah, tiny civ)-- one of them was automatically razed.

At the moment I'm attempting to exterminate all the barbs, though they keep coming back from somewhere. I have to finish exploring the map. After that, it's on to Suryavarman II's cities. :) This run seems pretty easy so far, so I'll probably move up the difficulty level next time.

12. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

The capital will have a star around the population number instead of a circle, just like yours. Capitals are always placed on good real estate. The capital will probably have one of the highest numbers, because that number indicates the size/population of the city.

Barbarians can pop up anywhere in the "fog", that is, areas that are not directly visible at the moment by any civilized cities or units. This includes unexplored areas (black) and explored by not currently surveyed areas (darkened terrain). The "fog-busting" that LP mentioned means stationing units slightly beyond your borders to keep as much of the map visible at all times as you can, so that barbarians don't pop up near your cities. Barbarian cities can also appear within the fog.

13. hellfire140279

hellfire140279 Chieftain

civ 4 is a great game used to play one my old computer with windows xp, now have upgraded to new computer with windows vista sp1 and cant load civ4, dowloaded the latest patch and even dx9. now it starts to laod and it gets to init engine and just stops? please help

14. GooglyBoogly

GooglyBoogly Freakamongus

Try the tech support section, there are many threads about Vista issues

15. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

First of all, vista does not use directx 9 , but 10......

16. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

true but wrong ;)
    Microsoft in its wisdom removed some of the code that programs coded for directx9c use from its dx10 release. Meaning that some programs programmed for Dx9c have a hard time running on Vista unless the user manually installs Dx9c to recover the code that was left out...

@hellfire: post in the tech support subforum as already mentioned - this thread is no good for problems like this since any posts get buried too quickly...

17. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, Civ IV AFAIK has no problems with directx 10... at least I don't have :p

18. LateGameWarMong

LateGameWarMong Warlord

Ok, so I can win games on noble now....

Healing questions:
    A unit normally does not heal when it moved during the turn, right?
    What about when it still has movement points left? will it heal proportional to how much movement it has left?

Units with march heal every turn the same aount regardless of how much they move, right?

What about medics? does the medic have to be stationary to heal units in the stack? If I have an infantry with 2 medic promotions following my infantry with other promotions, can I move them all and expect the medic promotion to take effect, or do they all have to sit still one turn with the medic?
    If they don't heal if they/the medic moved, will the "march" promotion change this? if Instead I use Mech infantry (have march by default) as the medic, and modern armor (no march), will the modern armor get healed when moving 2 spaces with the mech infantry?
    What if its an infantry medic (no march) following Seals/Marines (march promotion), do the march units get the medic heal bonus?

When is the healing bonus applied. If I have combat 4 (or is it 5) that gives +10% healing in enemy lands, grouped with a warlord medic (10+10+25 %healing), my units should heal over +50% per turn. So assume my combat units are at 50% when I click to end the turn.
    While in the "waiting for other civilizations" phase, say my combat units get attacked. Will they be at 50% like at the end of the turn, or will the healing bonus be applied at the end of the turn, and the combat units are at 100% when the enemy attacks?

or

Suppose my units are at 100%, I click end turn, they get attacked and strength would have gone down to 50%, will the healing be applied only after the other civs make their moves, such that I start the next turn with my units at 100%?

(Warlords only, not Beyond the Sword), if a SAM infantry shoots down an airplane, does it get experience? what about intercepts that don't destroy the plane?

So I'm thinking of getting BtS.
    Do stealth destroyers still see subs, or is this role now only for subs- making a sub fleet more needed?

Or do stealth destroyers basically largely replace the role of subs as invisible naval combat units detectable only by (now stealth) destroyers.

Personally, I'd like to get rid of the invisible stuff, and give subs and SDs a 50% withdraw chance similar to the stealth bomber's 50% evasion chance.

Do aircraft now get combat promotions?

Isn't the new mobile infantry sort of redundant? right now with warlords, I use modern armor with barrage and CR, seems way more effective and versatile than suicide artillery.

City defenses are obsolete for post-gunpowder units anyway, right?

19. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

No, there's no healing for units that have moved unless they have the march promotion.

Right.

Units are only elligible for healing if they haven't used any movement point or they have the march promotion. Medics just increase the healing amount per turn for units that are elligible for healing.

50%

100%. The healing bonus to your units is applied after the AI's and barbarians turn.

Read the article about unit healing for more information: Unit Healing.

I'm not sure. I think the interception needs to be lethal in order for the SAM unit to get experience.

This article on air combat in BTS might be interesting: Air Combat in BTS explained.

No they can't see subs.

They're a different class of invisible, the stealth class. They can only be detected by stealth destroyer and are thus almost immune unless they meet stealth destroyers.

You could mod that. Only withdrawal on defence doesn't work.

Yes. Some promotions to become better at aerial combat (combat promotions), some against certain units (gunpowder, armoured), some to avoid interception and some to increase range. You'll get some experience (4) with an airport and some more when you survive interception (or is it win an aerial battle, I don't remember).

With the latest patch, barrage promotions have been removed for armour (to be more precise, they don't work with the official patch and have been removed with the unofficial patch).

The cultural defences are still active. Just the wall and castle defences are gone for gunpowder units.

20. LateGameWarMong

LateGameWarMong Warlord

Just realized... I can't get BtS without a lot of hassle, as I'm using a Mac and its not out yet.

Getting to SDs and attack subs seems like it creates 2 classes of units with overlapping roles... invisible units with 30 strength that can only be countered by the same unit type.

Earlier subs had destroyers and other subs to worry about, now it seems subs only worry about other subs, and SDs about other SDs...
    Does the SD still intercept aircraft? can you build the old destroyer after teching to the new? does this leave the carrier with fighters as the only source of naval air defense?

I could swear my Barrage promotions for modern armor were working and it was saying I caused collateral damage. I'll load a save and test when I get home.

I love my CR3+barrage modern armors (and a combat I, or ambush or pinch,or another barrage or two thrown in on those that have the experience - the first promotions taken care of by great generals+barracks+westpoint)
    Low mortality rate, and soften the defenses up for my mech infantry and non-westpoint-derived modern armors.
    A 2 movement artillery would be nice, so it wouldn't slow down the stack to bring along, but I wouldn't go out of my way to tech to them