Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Thank you Roland and Silv. In my current game, I'm about to capture the ToA from Frederick in his capital. I suppose from the standpoint of maximizing revenue, I could have waited to declare on him until I could tech Econ and grab the free GM :lol: (I probably could have done it within 10 turns if I'd known this)! My capital is hammer poor and recovering from massive Globe Theater drafting; I don't think it has a Harbor. I'll experiment with the process you describe and see if I think it's worth it to get a Harbor and/or Customs House--which would probably mean whipping to get them. Thank you for the replies! :goodjob:

Can you pre build wonders like you could in Civ3?

Not really. You can't switch production from one item to another and take the production invested in one item and invest it in another. Hammers invested in one building or unit remain with that building or unit and aren't magically transferred to another. But they aren't lost either when you do switch production to something else. They remain invested in the original item making this item partially finished.

Since production overflows from one item to the next, you can get some production overflow from the previous construction into a World Wonder. However, this overflow is also limited and will generally not help you finish a World Wonder a lot quicker.

Simple example of production overflow: You're presently building a library at 20 hammers per turn and it's at 80/90 hammers. Next turn, it will be finished and your next construction project will start at 10 hammers.

Okay, could someone explain drafting to me? I drafted grenaders in a few cities. It did not do ANYTHING other than make my city unhappy. I'll just say it this way. I WENT INTO THE CITY SCREEN, CLICKED ONLY THE DRAFT BUTTON THEN LEFT THE CITY. And nothing happened other than make my people unhappy. Could someone give me an in depth description of my problem. I looked it up in the civilopedia and gave me little/no info. Please don't overlook this! I would be very grateful. Thank you, Civmonger.

Check if you don't have a new and shiny unit in the city ;)

I don't??? And what is wierd is I thought that it was supposed to be 3 units per turn???:confused: Nothing aside from problems happened.

Does the game keep a log of the info that scrolls by at the top of the screen after every turn?

I don't??? And what is wierd is I thought that it was supposed to be 3 units per turn???:confused: Nothing aside from problems happened.
The 3 units/turn is the max ammount of units you can draft in the whole empire per turn ( 1 per city ). You should definitely have one extra unit there....

got another question for y'all; does building a forbidden palace/versailles on another continent counteract the maintenance penalty for overseas cities, or are you just basically screwt on that penalty?

Okay, could someone explain drafting to me? I drafted grenaders in a few cities. It did not do ANYTHING other than make my city unhappy. I'll just say it this way. I WENT INTO THE CITY SCREEN, CLICKED ONLY THE DRAFT BUTTON THEN LEFT THE CITY. And nothing happened other than make my people unhappy. Could someone give me an in depth description of my problem. I looked it up in the civilopedia and gave me little/no info. Please don't overlook this! I would be very grateful. Thank you, Civmonger.

Usually the game doesn't refresh immediately. I find when I press the draft button the new unit is automatically selected and you are taken out of the city screen, but the unit that is now selected is also invisible in the plot list. Seriously, just look a tad harder and I'm pretty sure you'll find it.

If you're drafting in a city with a bunch of units already sitting there, perhaps you lost it among the other units.

your probobly right. I just want to make sure that if you clicked the un-greyed out button, the unit will appear. Right?

Absolutely. I've never had anything different happen.

got another question for y'all; does building a forbidden palace/versailles on another continent counteract the maintenance penalty for overseas cities, or are you just basically screwt on that penalty?

The colonial maintenance is capped at twice the distance for capital maintenance. Since you now have a capital a lot closer to these cities, the distance from capital maintenance has been lowered and thus also the maximum cost for colonial maintenance has been lowered.

If you play without the vassals starting game option, then colonial maintenance does not exist.

Top Bottom