Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

What do "farms spread irrigation" of Civil service and "enables bridge building" of Construction mean? I'm playing ver 1.0.

When increasing difficulty level does the computer get more handicaps or does it actually have an increased intelligence on managing its empire?

I'm playing my first CIV game using Game of the Year edition and am doing well, but I have a question that I cannot find an answer to in my manual or in the strategy guides I have looked at. So far I have built one Wonder, the Oracle. I want to build others, but I noticed in my build list that says "1 Great Wonder Remaining" when I contemplate building another wonder like the Great Library. Is wonder-building restricted in any way? That is, are we allowed only two wonders in given age, or before a certain time period?

I want to build others, but I noticed in my build list that says "1 Great Wonder Remaining" when I contemplate building another wonder like the Great Library. Is wonder-building restricted in any way? That is, are we allowed only two wonders in given age, or before a certain time period?

The restriction is that you cant start building the same wonder in two cities

A similar restriction you cant build more than two National Wonders in the same city

If you research a tech and are 50% done, but decide to immediately resesarch other techs, how many turns do you have on normal speed before beaker decay occurs?

An infinite number of turns.

What buildings are destroyed in capturing a city?

In CIV4BuildingInfos.xml this entry determines it:

<iConquestProb>0</iConquestProb>

A value of 0 means the building will be destroyed.
A value of 50 means you have a 50% chance that the building will be destroyed.
A value of 100 means the building will never be destroyed.

Wonders are set at 100, national wonders at 0 iirc.

In CIV4BuildingInfos.xml this entry determines it:

<iConquestProb>0</iConquestProb>

A value of 0 means the building will be destroyed.
A value of 50 means you have a 50% chance that the building will be destroyed.
A value of 100 means the building will never be destroyed.

Wonders are set at 100, national wonders at 0 iirc.
I haven't checked the xml, but in general, national wonders, cultural and military buildings (libraries, universities, temples, barracks, drydocks) are always destroyed, world wonders and GP buildings (academies, shrines, military academies) are never destroyed, and everything else falls into 50/50 territory. Hence, the more buildings a city has, the better chance of some of them surviving.

LordValuna: Thanks.

Greetings. I am fairly new to Civ4 and am playing BTS with the unofficial 3.17 patch. I enjoy playing on marathon speed at Noble difficulty. I have downloaded many starts from the Nobles Club and have learned much from these forums. I would like to know how I can change the settings on a saved game. For instance, people will sometimes provide a 4000BC start but have different settings from what I would normal play with. Is there a way for me to change the settings (i.e. speed, difficulty level, etc...) to my liking?

After some trial and error, I have figured out the answer.
1. Load the 4000BC save.
2. Open WorldBuilder.
3. Save.
4. Exit WB.
From the Custom Scenario menu option, I can now see and select the WB save made from the 4000BC save. This will allow me to customize my game settings. Sweet!!!

What buildings are destroyed in capturing a city?

The cultural buildings + barracks, walls, castle, stable and airport have 0% of survival. For some reason, public transportation also falls in this category, but the drydock not (my guess is that that's an error). And the Greek Odeon (colloseum replacement with culture) falls in this category but the ball court (granary replacement with culture) not. The national wonders also have a 0% chance of survival.

The standard rule is that a unique building has the same survival rules as its non-unique even if the unique version adds artists or culture but the Greek Odeon is an exception (again, I think the Greek Odeon is an error).

All the world wonders and all the buildings which are produced by a great person (academy, scotland yard) have a 100% chance of survival. The other buildings (which are most of them) have a 66% chance of survival (not 50%).

If a unit is queued to go one place (e.g. around a jungle) and you suddenly build a road right through the jungle (which is shorter), will the unit change paths midway?

Just wondering.

Is there some way to save a map of a game that you've started and then open that map using a different starting civ? I'd like to use random maps, find one that interests me and try two or three different civs on it to compare how they work.

Thanks for any help!

If a unit is queued to go one place (e.g. around a jungle) and you suddenly build a road right through the jungle (which is shorter), will the unit change paths midway?

Just wondering.
Yes it will, but this still may not be the optimal route. If a unit is about to step off a road, it may be best to step unto (or towards) a square which will be roaded in the future. It will not take this into consideration.

Would anyone have happened to have made a map of the world for Custom Game?
If so, would I be able to download it? Where would I go to do so?

Another question: has anyone played with the idea of placing all the civilizations and leaders on one map? E.g. You could have a China run by one leader(Mao) and then a China run by the other(forgot his name).

Top Bottom