Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

OK, a few of random questions here.

Is there any way to select all automated workers and cancel their automation without having to track them all down individually? I could swear I read about it somewhere but I can't find it now.

It seems a common strategy is to build TGLib in the same city as NE to get the increased GPP rate applied to the 2 free scientists. Since the same tech enables both, is there a hard and fast rule to which is better to build first? To put it differently which order would give you more/faster great people?

Final question: If I understand correctly, Versailles and FP act as a second capitol when calculating maintenance cost based on distance from the capitol. Also, if I understand correctly, SP eliminates maintenance based on distance to the capitol. So what I am thinking is that you would get no benefit from Versailles and FP if you are running SP. Is this right?

It seems a common strategy is to build TGLib in the same city as NE to get the increased GPP rate applied to the 2 free scientists. Since the same tech enables both, is there a hard and fast rule to which is better to build first? To put it differently which order would give you more/faster great people?
It's almost always best to build the Great Library first for the simple reason that there's competition for it, since it's a world wonder, while the NE can wait since it's a national wonder. If you find in most of your games that you have no competition when building one of the early wonders like the Great Library, it's time to move up a level.

Final question: If I understand correctly, Versailles and FP act as a second capitol when calculating maintenance cost based on distance from the capitol. Also, if I understand correctly, SP eliminates maintenance based on distance to the capitol. So what I am thinking is that you would get no benefit from Versailles and FP if you are running SP. Is this right?
Yes, that's exactly right. This is why it's best to build the FP as early as you can if you're playing for a domination win (large empires benefit most from SP). It's also why, if playing for the same victory condition, Versailles is often a non-starter because (a) it's expensive, (b) you probably skipped DR, and (c) the previous point means you won't get DR until quite late, usually through some lopsided tech trade with a backwater civ, meaning you'll probably be close to Communism and SP by the time you finish Versailles anyway.

OK, a few of random questions here.

Is there any way to select all automated workers and cancel their automation without having to track them all down individually? I could swear I read about it somewhere but I can't find it now.

You can select all workers and cancel their orders at one time. I don't think that you can only select the automated ones. To select and cancel orders for all workers:
1. Select one worker
2. Hold down the alt key while clicking on the cancel orders button (Obviously the worker has to be doing something to cancel. So, if it is a worker awaiting orders an order and then do the alt-cancel.)

EDIT: cross post with Sisiutil
3. Give orders to each worker, as it comes up.
(You can also do this using the wake button to activate all sleeping workers.)

No comment one way or the other on combining them. However, if you want to combine them, build TGL first because it is a World Wonder and you have competition to build it, while the NE is a National Wonder with no competition from an AI.

Yes.

National wonders are always lost when the city containing them is captured. So no, you can never end up with two of the same national wonder.

Has this been changed in a patch? I have seen it in my own games once and I thought you captured Scotland Yard in ALC 20 when you took Berlin:

I was reading this just this morning . . .

But of course you can't end up with two of them. Just imagine two--or more!--Ironworks and Oxfords!

Has this been changed in a patch? I have seen it in my own games once and I thought you captured Scotland Yard in ALC 20 when you took Berlin:

I was reading this just this morning . . .

But of course you can't end up with two of them. Just imagine two--or more!--Ironworks and Oxfords!
In BTSD Scotland Yard isn't a national wonder, its a great person building, and like an academy can be built in any number of cities provided you have A GSpy spare.

Okay, pardon my noobness, I am puzzled to capture a city and find the AI had placed 4 military advisors, 3 great scientists and one great priest in that one city. Is this sorta normal or are we looking at AI bonuses here?

Okay, pardon my noobness, I am puzzled to capture a city and find the AI had placed 4 military advisors, 3 great scientists and one great priest in that one city. Is this sorta normal or are we looking at AI bonuses here?
That's a little out of the ordinary, but no bonuses involved, just the AI not being programmed to understand city specialization.

In BTSD Scotland Yard isn't a national wonder, its a great person building, and like an academy can be built in any number of cities provided you have A GSpy spare.

That would explain it. Later I saw another Scotland Yard and figured out that something had changed since Warlords, but I didn't know what it was. Thanks for the update. By the way, what does Scotland Yard do in BtS?

just out of curiousity what kind of penalties does a civ incur from having a non-state religion present in a theocratic society? I understand in the real world, having say; Christianity in Iran provides for some social issues and perhaps international incidents at times. Does BtS replicate this somehow?

Also, it seems it takes me forever to build large stacks? Advice?

just out of curiousity what kind of penalties does a civ incur from having a non-state religion present in a theocratic society? I understand in the real world, having say; Christianity in Iran provides for some social issues and perhaps international incidents at times. Does BtS replicate this somehow?

Also, it seems it takes me forever to build large stacks? Advice?
There are no complicated penalties like that for running Theocracy. The only "penalty" is preventing the spread of any non-state religion (well, that, and not running one of the other religious civics and forgoing its benefits...). Having extra religions around can be handy for cultural wins, for additional :) under Free Religion, etc., so I usually only run Theo for short periods of time, usually when I'm pumping out a large number of units.

Speaking of which...

Regarding your second question: First of all, devote at least a couple of cities entirely to production. Improve their tiles with only enough farms to feed and grow the population, prioritize builds that enhance production and military (forge, barracks, etc.) and only build what non-production/non-military buildings you need to keep it happy and healthy. Build the HE in the best of these production cities and devote it almost entirely to producing units.

Several turns prior to starting a Golden Age (either from a Great Person or the Taj Mahal) make sure you have barracks in ALL of your cities and start building units in each one. When each unit is one turn from completion, switch to a different unit. Do this until you have 3-6 units within one turn of completion in most of your cities (or until the Taj is ready) then start the GA. Switch to Theocracy and Vassalage (and Police State if it's available) and pump out highly-promoted military units for the duration of the GA. Switch back to other, more "economic" civics on the last turn of the GA. There's your stack. :goodjob:

Ok, noob update, first monarch game looks like a win but I will not abandon instead play to a win condition if for no other reason to experience the latter end of the tech tree. Now, having built the UN and being elect GS I have two questions:

How do I propose a resolution?
Why is the Apol. Palace still active?

Subset ? to the latter is it possible to lose a diplo victory via Apol Palace in this case?

Also, can I count on vassal states to vote for my positions relative to UN resolutions?

Finally, one AI, Sitting Bull, has built Apollo but I cannot see if he is making progress toward parts, I have increase intel relative to him but no joy. How and can I monitor his progress?

Every set number of turns (10, 20 or something like that?) a list of resolutions will appear that you can propose.
Like all wonders it doesn't obsolete until the owner gets the obsoleting tech, in this case mass media.
Subset ? to the latter is it possible to lose a diplo victory via Apol Palace in this case?
It is possible, if your really scared by it you can gift mass media to the AP owner to kill it off.
Also, can I count on vassal states to vote for my positions relative to UN resolutions?
Yes in almost any case including for diplo victory votes, but I think they are allowed to vote against resolutions that directly harm them such as them giving a city to someone.
Finally, one AI, Sitting Bull, has built Apollo but I cannot see if he is making progress toward parts, I have increase intel relative to him but no joy. How and can I monitor his progress?
The parts he has finished can be seen in the victory conditions tab which can be found next to the science advisor, stats tabs etc.
Or rather the parts finished by your leading competitor, (in case its not SB).

To see how his cities are doing at building parts though you will need enough espionage to investigate them, which is a heck of a lot. Depending on how much your outputting you may just need to focus your espionage on him and away from other AIs.

Ok, noob update, first monarch game looks like a win but I will not abandon instead play to a win condition if for no other reason to experience the latter end of the tech tree. Now, having built the UN and being elect GS I have two questions:

You have to wait for the game to give you a list of resolutions to choose from in a pop up. It happens every X turns. (I never bothered to count, so I don't know how many turns is X.)

The AP remains active until the player or AI that owns it discovers the tech that allows the UN, even it someone else already built the UN.

Yes.

You have to get them to like you or choose a resolution that is in their interest. Same as if they were not your vassals.

You will see the part built or being built by the AI who is furthest along towards launching in the column next to your spaceship parts column on the Victory Screen, even if your list is empty or you haven't built Apollo yet.

Edit: Crosspost with Ghpstage. He is probably correct where we did not agree on the vassals question, since I rarely use vassals.

Thanks guys for the quick response.

One parting observation. Mining Inc. seems very powerful. I expect as I improve and resolve games earlier in the tech tree it will recede in utility, but wow, just wow.

Thanks guys for the quick response.

One parting observation. Mining Inc. seems very powerful. I expect as I improve and resolve games earlier in the tech tree it will recede in utility, but wow, just wow.
Mining Inc is indeed very powerful, and combined with Sushi makes for the best corp setup in 90%+ of games. Their biggest drawback is that they compete with the awesomeness of State Property with its reduced maintenance and workshop spamming.

A civ asked me to declare was on another. I didn't want the -1 hit from the civ that asked me and the target civ isn't my favorite one anyways. I was already preparing to wage a war with him later on.

But it turns out that i had a bunch of really good trade routes with the target civ and it messed up my planning.

Question is, does the "You declared war on us" penalty ever go away or will it stay until the end of the game?
In the past i have never bothered checking since i have been roflstomping all AI's anyways but this particular game is a bit harder and i need all the coin i can get to keep up with each civs armies.

Top Bottom